User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 4.0 intro/unveiling event this Thursday, April 8!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4.0 intro/unveiling event this Thursday, April 8!
Page 3 of 8 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 12:55

Two notable things about iAd (what Jobs is calling it): One is that the ads don't take you out of the app, when you tap the ad it runs inside the apps using audio and video. Two, is that it all runs on HTML 5.
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-04-08, 12:57

With Apple hosting ads and with the 60/40 split it looks like Apple is taking the fight back to Google (after Apple say Google muscled into the Phone business).

edit: in a small scale, i guess
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:00

I guess another notable thing about iAds is that it lets developers use the location API so they can implement things like a localized store locator, or find the nearest movie theater.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-08, 13:02

Yeah, as if I'm not clobbered with enough online ads every single #%^$@! day...

YouTube and most news sites are approaching "next to useless, and halfway past annoying" at this point, all this shit flying around, making sounds, making me wait 15-30 seconds for content I came for, etc.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
And, mobile ads. Inside apps. I don't like this very much, but it's still going to be up to the developers to do it. Jobs says it's a way for developers to keep their free apps free.
Well the developers are already doing this, so it's not really a new thing that Apple came up with. Apple has just come up with a better method, and will give us ads that we might actually find value in.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
¡Damned!

2010-04-08, 13:04

These AdApps are weird, but interesting. Looks like Apple is creating a whole 'nother cottage set of developers... that is, I can see a whole new group of people coming into the ecosystem as Ad developers, and not App developers per se.

So it goes.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-04-08, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
This is really cool. Can't wait to use it on the iPad.
Too bad you'll be waiting until fall.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-08, 13:05

You guys, they changed the Calculator icon. For the second time.

Pre-1.0:

3.0:

4.0:
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:05

Original iPhone gets the ax and 3G no multitasking!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Too bad you'll be waiting until fall.
crap, my whole summer ruined

well, it's Apple, so I suppose I have to assume there's a really good reason for the delay.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:07

And finally OS 4 runs on the 3GS and the latest generation Touch. It will run on the 2nd gen Touch and the 3G but multitasking won't. Jobs said "the hardware just can't do it". No mention of the original iPhone at all.

edit - and it will obviously run on whatever new iPhone they have coming this summer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-08, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Well the developers are already doing this, so it's not really a new thing that Apple came up with. Apple has just come up with a better method, and will give us ads that we might actually find value in.
That's true. I see little banner ads on some of my favorite free iPhone apps. So I guess things won't be that different.

The original iPhone wasn't mentioned in that listing at the end. Good thing 2010 is the summer of "Paul's new iPhone" (similar to the Summer of George ). I'm at that point, with their first-generation model, that the OS is starting to break away and leave me behind.

I'm really glad I didn't give in to my lust and get a 3Gs last year. Now I can get whatever they release this summer, knowing it'll be the latest and greatest (and most powerful), and that it should give me another solid three years of good use.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-08, 13:08

No multitasking on the 3G means I'm getting a new iPhone this summer.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-04-08, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
No multitasking on the 3G means I'm getting a new iPhone this summer.
While that is a somewhat fan-boyish position, it sure beats whining over being "cheated" out of a feature.

Now if Apple would only bother to release the iPad in Denmark. Unfortunately we are defined as "other countries" which probably means last in the line.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:14

11:13AM - Q: Any change in Apple position on Flash and Java?

Steve: No.

Miko
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:20

Ahem... Where was tethering? Anyone-anyone?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-04-08, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
On the pre+. I hope my little experiment works out. It'd be awesome if it did.
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-04-08, 13:26

Tethering is already supported at the OS level. It's still up to the carrier whether to support it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
On the pre+. I hope my little experiment works out. It'd be awesome if it did.
I'm cheating, and using a third-party tethering app on my Droid. I'll be testing it out later today to see if it works. (I don't get any kind of signal here at home, from any carrier - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, anyone.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-08, 13:28

So, no pinning in Mail, and no notifications UI revamp. So being that I'm still on a 3G, that gives me three reasons to still jailbreak in 4.0: much better notifications UI (GriP), quick settings toggles through the status bar (SBSettings), and Backgrounder. For the 3GS, the first two still apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
What's wrong with the tethering since 3.0? Works fine for me.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-04-08, 13:28

well my g3s will last me another year at least...so multitasking on that will be nice...wish it came for the iPad sooner than fall, but all is good.

iAds is a bit of a shame, but i do see that app designers need cash money too...i always wonder how all these free apps made any dough (well except the obvious ones of iBooks and the Marvel app...gawd that app is gonna kill me...i haven't bought a comic in years and years and suddenly I have 30 years of old comics i can buy...gah...i was a huge comic hound in the 60's...i so wish i had kept them all...i had all the first runs of spiderman and FF and Iron Man, my favorite three as a kid.)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-08, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
While that is a somewhat fan-boyish position, it sure beats whining over being "cheated" out of a feature.

Now if Apple would only bother to release the iPad in Denmark. Unfortunately we are defined as "other countries" which probably means last in the line.

I was most likely grabbing a new iPhone this summer regardless, as my 3G is really starting to show it's age.

I'd rather Apple cut off support to devices that will offer a lackluster experience (like they do with Mac OS X) than give it to everyone and have people bitch about the OS not working "right."

Either way, I am due for an upgrade and couldn't imagine using any other phone but an iPhone.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-04-08, 13:32

I would hope they would upgrade the $99 iPhone 3G to a 3GS on this news.
Noel

2010-04-08, 13:32

Hay guys does Mail hide on startup?!?!
thegelding
feeling my oats

2010-04-08, 13:34

Quote:
Either way, I am due for an upgrade and couldn't imagine using any other phone but an iPhone.
this...which is why i get one every two years...the up side is i get to give my old phone to one of my kids and they instantly have an iPod Touch. it is win win...my day one iPhone gets constant use by my eldest daughter for games and email and such...my youngest will get an even better iPod Touch next year when she "inherits" my 32gig iPhone G3s.

g

chucker

2010-04-08, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I would hope they would upgrade the $99 iPhone 3G to a 3GS on this news.
I doubt the $99 3G will still sell when 4.0 is actually out. This is only a preview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Hay guys does Mail hide on startup?!?!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-04-08, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I doubt the $99 3G will still sell when 4.0 is actually out. This is only a preview.

Understood, but selling a product that will not fully support your next OS update after its been announced is not that great.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

I've seen so many complaints on Twitter already about how this announcement is "meh." How can it?

It addresses most of the complaints that the haters had against it. Also, this is a PREVIEW, not a final shipping version. I'm sure there will be updates before it ships.

Plus, with a new iPhone pretty much assured this summer, there are probably a few things that it will be able to do that Apple just didn't want to release just yet.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
thegelding
feeling my oats

i think BU is saying that it would be nice if apple, at this point, didn't sell phones that can't utilize the upcoming os.

of course the 3g phones can update to os4, they just can't use all the functions of os 4.

it would be nice, and maybe apple will do it. on the other hand, when you buy the cheapest phone, or car or tv or anything, it often doesn't have all the features of the higher cost items.

g

chucker

2010-04-08, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Understood, but selling a product that will not fully support your next OS update after its been announced is not that great.
Hm, you make a good point.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've seen so many complaints on Twitter already about how this announcement is "meh." How can it?
It's just the haters hatin'.