User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 4.0 intro/unveiling event this Thursday, April 8!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4.0 intro/unveiling event this Thursday, April 8!
Page 8 of 8 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8]  Thread Tools
CitizenTony

2010-06-12, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Has anyone that has a 3G and upgraded to 4.0 noticed sluggishness?
A little here and there, but not worse than 3.0 has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Wyatt, is there any way to get home screen wallpaper to work on 4.0 on a second-gen touch without jailbreaking?

I can't figure out why home screen wallpaper is one of the things that won't work on the older devices, it doesn't make any sense. Multitasking sure, but wallpaper?
No, and some people will tell you that it's because the device can't handle the extra resources needed to draw the drop shadows over the background. But I figure the real reason is purely Apple up-sell technique. It's highly visible and something almost everyone wants and the jailbreak community has shown that a wallpaper on the springboard works just fine on all of the devices.

There isn't any reason to exclude the orientation lock either. Even if it is buried inside the multitasking dock.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-06-12, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post
No, and some people will tell you that it's because the device can't handle the extra resources needed to draw the drop shadows over the background.
Well, it does, but I doubt it's even noticeable. Surely stuff like animations (rubber-band swiping, wiggling, etc.) is far more resource-intensive in Springboard than drawing a background picture and drop shadows on top?

Quote:
It's highly visible and something almost everyone wants and the jailbreak community has shown that a wallpaper on the springboard works just fine on all of the devices.
To be fair, as a jailbreak user, I can also tell you that "the jailbreak community has shown", too, how to make everything a lot more sluggish. The first- and second-generation iOS devices have a serious lack of RAM available to the user (around 40-50 MB if nothing beyond Mail and Phone is running), and modifications like Winterboard do eat into that. I recently reinstalled, and there was a noticeable performance boost.

Quote:
There isn't any reason to exclude the orientation lock either. Even if it is buried inside the multitasking dock.
Quite true.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2010-06-12, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, it does, but I doubt it's even noticeable. Surely stuff like animations (rubber-band swiping, wiggling, etc.) is far more resource-intensive in Springboard than drawing a background picture and drop shadows on top?
I've jailbroken 4.0 (just to enable multitasking and backgrounds), and it works just fine. We'll see if that holds true once I have multitasking apps that are actually running in the background, but for now, it's perfectly fine. As I've said before, the only thing that's changed for me, performance-wise, with 4.0 is that the battery drains faster; but that's because Apple is (finally) letting WiFi run when the iPod is asleep so you can get push email and notifications. I was noticing that before I jailbroke, and it doesn't seem to be any worse since I did it.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317