User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple 20" Display vs. Sony X-Brite?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple 20" Display vs. Sony X-Brite?
fiddlin'man

2005-01-29, 00:41

So, I'm going to be getting a PowerBook any day now... But thats a story for a different thread. Anyway, I was originally planning on getting the Apple 20" display to go with it, but now I'm seriously considering the Sony 19" X-Brite LCD monitor. From what I have been reading, it is the primo LCD monitor out there. (Plus it costs less!) Anyone compared it head-to-head with the Apple monitors?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-29, 00:49

Purchasing Advice => General Discussion. Moving!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 01:12

No... this is the first I have heard of it actually... care to provide a link?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-29, 01:18

I'm not sure I understand the basis of comparison. Is it clarity, brightness, or screen size? Those two are in completely different classes IMO due to resolution. The Sony LCDs are very nice in terms of brightness in looking at them briefly in a store, but I haven't used them to comment on clarity, etc.

The 20" ACD is a 1680x1050 widescreen resolution, while I'd guess the 19" Sony is 1280x1024, normal. If widescreen is of value, then get the 20" ACD or look at something like Dell's 2005fpw. If it's not of value, then why a 19" LCD? You could get a 17" LCD with the same resolution for lower cost.

Paul:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...anelLCDs_18%22
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 01:27

What about this (19) or this (17)?
HDTV ready as well...
fiddlin'man

2005-01-29, 01:45

The first I heard of XBrite was on these forums, in some of the PowerBook related threads. People had been lamenting that the built-in displays of the iBook and PowerBook are not as nice as the current Sony VAIO, which use XBrite. Well, obviously, I'm not getting a Sony VAIO. But, I thought, I could get that XBrite monitor to use as my desktop monitor to go along with the PowerBook.

Truth is, I like the widescreen format. The main apps I'm using right now are Final Cut Express and Logic 6. Both of those are well suited to the widescreen. But if the XBrites were significantly better in terms of clarity, brightness, color, etc, I might go that way.

Well, I've seen the ACD display in the Apple Store, and like it... And I saw the XBrite in a BestBuy, and I thought it was sharp. But I don't think they had Apple hardware there... perhaps they did... I just didn't notice. I guess I should go out and try and find a store (perhaps Frys) where I can see them both at the same time and do a better comparison.

As far as the 17" goes, I don't think I'd like a 17" screen. Too small. I like to have some real-estate.
ZogDog

2005-01-29, 02:33

Whatever the decision is, I'd make sure resolution was the main factor. I have seen the X-Brites, very sexy, BUT I'd take an ACD solely on it's resolution capabilities.

..::| www.zogdog.com |::..
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-29, 02:35

I've worked on an xbrite screen, and while they look nice initially, i found that glare was a huge problem.

if this computer is going to be stationary and you'll be able to adjust/control the lighting in the room, the Sony monitors looks great. if not, i wouldn't recommend them.

also, i read somewhere that sony and one other company had exclusive rights to the 3M filter technology that results in an xbrite screen, which is why you don't see them everywhere. if they could just fix the glare issue, i'd be a lot more interested in them.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-01-29, 02:54

I think Toshiba might be using the same technology on their Qosimo notebooks, but I'm not sure.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-31, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
...also, i read somewhere that sony and one other company had exclusive rights to the 3M filter technology that results in an xbrite screen, which is why you don't see them everywhere.
I don't know what the 3M filter tech is that you write about, but other companys produce similar displays to Sony's X-Brites—they just haven't got Sony's marketing budget...

fiddlin'man, I was in almost the exact same position as you recently and I posted my impression of Sony's X-Brites (with a comparison to Apple's Cinema's in mind) >>>here<<<.

If you stick around for a few days, I will post a painstaking review of the display I indeed ended up buying...

bouncy bouncy
fiddlin'man

2005-02-01, 03:13

Hey, SonOfSylvanus,
Great write up, and I'd be interested in hearing about the monitor you did select. Me, I actually ended up buying the 20" ACD display. It's supposed to ship tomorrow. In the end, it was the wide screen format. Like I said before, the apps I mostly use are Final Cut Express and Logic Gold. Both lay out the work space in a horizontal format that I think is well suited to the cinema display's dimensions. I think its a given that I'll like that monitor!
I didn't seriously consider the Dell monitors that a couple of posts mentioned. I use Dell HW at work, and have a pretty low opinion of it. Its all a bunch of low-to-mid-range, low-margin, commodity stuff. Nothing too exciting IMO.
You know, I've got an Apple sticker in my rear window... don't recall ever seeing a car with a Dell sticker in it!!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-01, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlin'man
I didn't seriously consider the Dell monitors that a couple of posts mentioned. I use Dell HW at work, and have a pretty low opinion of it. Its all a bunch of low-to-mid-range, low-margin, commodity stuff. Nothing too exciting IMO.
You know, I've got an Apple sticker in my rear window... don't recall ever seeing a car with a Dell sticker in it!!
Your loss. Not all Dell stuff sucks. Yes, a lot of it does, but their higher-end LCDs (the UltraSharp line) are fine, just as good as what Apple makes. The cases aren't as nice, of course (how can you beat brushed aluminum?), but the panels themselves are the same.
IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2005-02-01, 21:53

Yeah, I think Portrait mode would be pretty nice right now. Although I'd need my Power Mac with retail Radeon 9800 Pro at home to actually use it. Web pages and what not.

X-Brite? They do look very nice in-store. That is also where I saw their HUGE glare problem whereas the Apple screens use a fair bit of glare protection. Or whatever this grainy look I have on this Alu 20" is.

Widescreen was one of the reason I got mine as well. Most all LCDs are the wrong aspect to my liking

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
holbox

2005-02-02, 20:22

I been trying to deside on which 20" monitor I'm going to put with a new Power Mac Dual G5 2Mhz. God I hate the $1000 price tag.

Went to the Apple store in Tampa yesterday and ask one of the sales guys -"Can you justify the $1000 price tag on this mother when I can get lots of 19" screens and save up to $600?"

His answer was - "Look at it. If you don't see the difference, I wouldn't buy it either!"

I did - and you can! I'm no expert and it seems like all the info is a big pile of nothing. It's your eyeballs in the long run that'll make you like the fool thing or hate it. That Apple 20" monitor is so pretty, go's so well with the computer, and is just damn elegant! Faster this - faster that - cheaper - means nix.

If you can see the difference & like it, better get that one. It'll save you money in the long run.