User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Tiger Question (licensing, multiple Macs)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Question (licensing, multiple Macs)
adiliegro

2005-02-18, 01:22

When ths thing is eventually released, will I have to buy a copy for each of m y 3 Macs, or can i use the same disk for all three? How has this been done in the past with Apple? It's gonna suck to have to buy three different disks, if that's the case.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-02-18, 01:29

Apple's official line is that you have to buy one copy for each computer you install it on. However, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from simply buying a single copy and installing it on as many Macs as you want.

If it bothers you to break Apple's terms of use, you can always buy a "family pack." The family pack was introduced with Jaguar. It's $199 and you get a five-computer license. But it's basically the same as the single-license package anyway. I don't think you get extra CDs.

It's up to you, really. The family pack is cheaper than even two separate copies of OS X, so it's not THAT much worse. But if you're low on money or something, you can get by just buying the standard box for $129.
Gizzer

2005-02-18, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiliegro
When ths thing is eventually released, will I have to buy a copy for each of m y 3 Macs, or can i use the same disk for all three? How has this been done in the past with Apple? It's gonna suck to have to buy three different disks, if that's the case.
Legally you can't do that & it's in breach of Apple's licencing agreement, but as the post above says, if you buy the Family Pack, you get to install 5 for less than the price of 2.
n2o2

Send a message via AIM to n2o2  
2005-02-18, 10:01

Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.

But the Family Pack cannot be used for business use... bummer...
adiliegro

2005-02-18, 10:24

Thanks guys...looks like Im paying 199 for MY copy when it comes out. I have three macs in this house that I will update.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-18, 12:46

Yup, I got the family pack for Jaguar and Panther and I'm looking forward to getting Tiger... I just wish there is some kind of discount for getting both iLife and Tiger family packs... it would also be nice if there was an edu discount on it....
oh well...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)