My review of the iPod shuffle.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My review of the iPod shuffle.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-16, 11:41

Introduction

I stand in utter disbelief. There in front of me on the shelf is an iPod shuffle. You know, the latest Apple "oh my god 3-5 weeks to ship" item.

I wanted a 512MB model, but I'll be damned if I'm letting the last one on the shelf go to some other asshole. I pony up the extra cash and hit the till.

Testing

I'm at home in front of my Power Mac. I am salivating, shaking slightly, and almost fully erect. I put the iPod shuffle down beside a pack of Hubba Bubba. I let out a Keanu-esque "whoa".

Manual is scanned. Software all up to date. USB port wiped down and ready for penetration. I gently but firmly slide the male shuffle end into the waiting female counterpart on the Power Mac. I hear a slight squeal from the machine. The fans stutter momentarily. It likes it.

One hour has passed. Shuffle is FUBAR. Tricks that worked for several people on the Apple discussion boards have been tried. Ditto for the GB thread suggestions here. Yes, I tried that. That too. The iPod shuffle was yelled at and threatened. It was even put back in the box, left overnight, and tried again for the hell of it the next day for half an hour, and still... nothing.

Back to the store. Refund. The salesman chuckles when asked about new stock coming in.

Conclusion

The iPod shuffle sucks.
Wraven

2005-02-16, 11:43

Murbot,
You ARE being somewhat sarcastic in your conclusion right?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-16, 11:45

Question

Can you be more specific in the suckitude? Did it simply not transfer songs? Did it hang up? Think you got a bad one?

Or did it work as it's supposed to, however the USB vs. FireWire transfer is just too slow and cumbersome?

Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 11:50

I don't understand why anyone would get the shuffle, as there are better, cheaper flashed based players available that have better battery life, and a screen. I still laugh everytime I read a apple ad telling me how fun it is never to know what song is going to come next (I have a Sony network walkman E99, 50 hour battery life (one AAA), backlit screen, and shuffle function, and I got it for the same price as the shuffle) I just don't understand why anyone would shell out that much for an Mp3 player which is so limited. Oh well...
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-16, 11:58

It doesn't need a screen.

Mine was never recognized by the computer. Would never mount, iTunes would never see it.

Yes Wraven, slight sarcasm here. The thing is so small and light I'm sure I would have loved it... if it worked.

I don't know, some people are saying it's a 10.3.8 thing. I have no patience with things that are brand new out of the box though, so back the bastard went. In hindsight, it was an impulse buy that I couldn't afford, so inside I'm slightly pleased, though I won't officially admit it.

I thought of the shuffle at the gym today and had a chuckle, as I watched a guy stick a CD player between his legs before doing his set of bench presses on a machine. (yes, that is 100% true)
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 12:07

I agree, most Mp3 players don't require screens. But what disturbs me, is that my regular Mp3 player, with a backlit screen lasts much longer than a shuffle without a screen. Maybe it's slightly offset by the fact that the Shuffle's battery is rechargable (I would still think it contained more power than a single AAA) however I'm curious to see if the shuffle contains any of the battery problems of its predecessors.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-02-16, 12:10

my ipod shuffle 1GB is fucked also. it wont work properly on my powermac G4 733mhz or my wifes Dual 1.25ghz at work, but will work perfectly fine on her pwoerbook which doesnt contain a single mp3!

i tried all the tricks i read on the boards, it worked once but after i rebooted it stopped working. yesterday it worked a bit, but it read the shuffle as a regular ipod, i copied the songs onto it but then it wouldnt play them.

shuffle sucks.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-16, 12:47

Jeez-louise, what in the world is up with this little thing? That doesn't sound good.

I was wanting to get a 512MB one for my grandpa - and pack it with his favorite old 40's/50's/60's country classics - as soon as they arrived here locally (Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, wherever). Hope these are just super isolated experiences because I know he'd love it. You can't beat the simplicity and ease-of-use, that's for sure. His eyes are so bad that "no screen" is probably a benefit (or, rather, not a downside or "loss").

Perfect! Just click the "play" circle and it's Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, etc. for as long as he wants.

Grip

2005-02-16, 13:17

I don't write this to gloat (Murbot - sorry it didn't work for you) but I have had the shuffle for 3 weeks and had no problems at all -- even using 10.3.8.

I use it almost exclusively in the car. It is like having a radio station with no commercials that plays only the songs I like. With my regular iPod I would think twice before adding it to the long list of things I have to lug around daily. This thing is tiny.

I hope this isn't just a streak of good luck though. I have heard of other users with bad experiences.

Last edited by Grip : 2005-02-16 at 13:24.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-02-16, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I agree, most Mp3 players don't require screens. But what disturbs me, is that my regular Mp3 player, with a backlit screen lasts much longer than a shuffle without a screen. Maybe it's slightly offset by the fact that the Shuffle's battery is rechargable (I would still think it contained more power than a single AAA) however I'm curious to see if the shuffle contains any of the battery problems of its predecessors.
You believed that FUD about the battery, eh? Too bad for you...

And can you use iTunes with your Sony E192132325432932?
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 17:47

I don't understand your post...

The FUD? It says it lasts 70 hours, but in practice, it lasts around 50, with an energizer battery (what I currently use now)

What do you mean "can I use iTunes with my Sony E99? (I can only assume you're trying to make fun of the device because it has a 3 digit name, I have no idea why though) I can play WMA, Mp3's as well as Sony's proprietary formats on it. But please, go more in depth with your comment. I want to know what you mean by "can you use it with iTunes".

Also, I don't use iTunes, I use winamp, as I have a PC currently, and will not be getting my Mac until the end of summer.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-16, 19:08

Quote:
Also, I don't use iTunes, I use winamp, as I have a PC currently, and will not be getting my Mac until the end of summer.
...except you can use iTunes with a PC. There's no reason to not use iTunes, unless you're using Linux.

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-16, 19:12

I guess you can't use iTunes because you use a Sony player, but winamp sucks.
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-02-16, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I guess you can't use iTunes because you use a Sony player, but winamp sucks.
I agree with that wholeheartedly.
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 21:05

Really? I love winamp, I use it in the classic environment, because its resource friendly and sounds great. I wasn't a fan of iTunes on the PC, as I don't need something as extensive as it. However, when i get my Mac, I plan to use iTunes so I can network it with my friends iTunes when we move into an apartment.

Why can't I use iTunes because I use a sony player again? The files are still in mp3 form, and I just drag and drop into the Mp3 player folder, easy as that. I can also create folders and whatnot for it. Don't see what the big deal is.

Honestly I don't know why some Apple users feel the need to bash all things not Apple...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-16, 21:19

Quote:
Really? I love winamp, I use it in the classic environment, because its resource friendly and sounds great. I wasn't a fan of iTunes on the PC, as I don't need something as extensive as it. However, when i get my Mac, I plan to use iTunes so I can network it with my friends iTunes when we move into an apartment.

Why can't I use iTunes because I use a sony player again? The files are still in mp3 form, and I just drag and drop into the Mp3 player folder, easy as that. I can also create folders and whatnot for it. Don't see what the big deal is.

Honestly I don't know why some Apple users feel the need to bash all things not Apple...
The reason I love my iPod is because it takes NO work to manage it. At all. Plug it in, wait a few seconds, unplug it. No folders or drag and drop. Easy as pie.

My "FUD" comment was in response to your "I wonder if the shuffle contains any of the battery problems of its predecessors." comment. And my E2345828824333 comment was because Sony's naming scheme is always absurd. What the hell is a "network" walkman, anyway???
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-16, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
There's no reason to not use iTunes, unless you're using Linux.
*cough*
http://www.codeweavers.com/images/ap...s_20040803.png
*cough*

http://www.codeweavers.com/images/ap...Screenshot.png
*cough*

Sorry, I seem to be choking on something.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-16, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
How well does it play in WINE?
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 21:43

With the shuffle, wouldn't you still have to choose the files to put in it, since it can't hold more than a gig? I have no problem organizing my playlists, and I don't really think of it as work. I take 5 minuntes before I walk if I need to change the music up, and then I'm off. Also, I have no idea what FUD stands for, but as far as the battery comment goes, I stand by it given that after 2 and a little years, my friends 30 gig iPod's battery requires him to charge it for 5 minutes, drain it, charge for 10, drain it, etc, to hold any charge. Although now I hear that Apple has graciously allowed people to pay $50 to have them replace it *rolls eyes*. I dunno, I just like being able to pop my own battery in there, forget about it for 50 hours, and then pop another in, and recharge the previous one.

Now, don't think I hate or have something against iPods, I don't. Well, other than that battery deal. However, I have no use for one. A gig holds more than enough for me, and I can't justify spending more for a portable HD. They are very nice devices however, and should I suddenly become wealthy, I will buy one.

Also, I don't understand what the big deal with the name is. I mean, if the device works, who cares? It's a solid device that works great, whats in a name anyway?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-02-16, 21:46

Alcibiades, it was all in good fun. If you're happy with your Network Walkman, good for you.

BTW, FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. The link can provide more info than I feel like getting into now. Cheers.
Alcibiades

2005-02-16, 22:01

Oh, I see. I don't believe it because of what I read, I believe it because I've seen it happen. However, perhaps they've remedied the problems in the current crops of iPods, I don't know. I only know from firsthand experience.

Haha, I know its in fun. Besides, debate works the mind. I'm a fan of conflict I'm afraid, and sometimes my nature gets the best of me lol.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-02-16, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
How well does it play in WINE?
I donno.... that's not my desktop. But well from what I read. You can even buy songs, and have your ipod mount in iTunes for the file transfer.

I just use XMMS to play music...

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-02-17, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
One hour has passed. Shuffle is FUBAR. Tricks that worked for several people on the Apple discussion boards have been tried. Ditto for the GB thread suggestions here. Yes, I tried that. That too.
I understand it's too late to try this having returned your shuffle, but the one trick you did not mention that I've seen elsewhere is reinstalling iTunes. Drastic, but it apparently worked for that one poster.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-02-17, 09:40

gave a 1 gig shuffle to my daughter for her bday just this week...

haven't asked her yet if she's had any problems...will check tonight and get back to y'all

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wraven

2005-02-17, 09:55

Gelding,
I'd like to know. I'm thinking about getting a 512MB model for the wife. The last thing I want is her first interaction with an Apple product to be a bad one.

Cheers,
Wraven
Noel

2005-02-17, 10:12

I got a 512 version and have had no issues with it whatsoever.
Wraven

2005-02-17, 10:36

Thanks Noel. Looks like Murbot just got a "bad piece."
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-02-17, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
I understand it's too late to try this having returned your shuffle, but the one trick you did not mention that I've seen elsewhere is reinstalling iTunes. Drastic, but it apparently worked for that one poster.
Did that bro. Wiped any existence of iTunes, reinstalled it, no dice.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-02-17, 13:44

Quote:
Oh, I see. I don't believe it because of what I read, I believe it because I've seen it happen. However, perhaps they've remedied the problems in the current crops of iPods, I don't know. I only know from firsthand experience.

Haha, I know its in fun. Besides, debate works the mind. I'm a fan of conflict I'm afraid, and sometimes my nature gets the best of me lol.
I'll see your iPod anecdote and raise you one.

I have a 20GB 2G iPod (the batch of iPods that were sold in Mac or Win versions, no dock) and the battery still works great. I don't get the same amount of time from the battery that I did when it was new but I still get about 8 hours per charge. This iPod is roughly 2.5 years old now.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-02-17, 13:56

You know, the battery in the Shuffle probably doesn't last as long as one in another flash based MP3 player with a screen because the Shuffle is so bloody small. It's barely larger than my USB pen drive I have here. Size matters

(Sorry if someone else already pointed this out, I got tired of checking and wanted to post anyway )

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower