User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

g Opt-Cmd-PR = M$ ???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
g Opt-Cmd-PR = M$ ???
kutbhaala

2005-09-08, 15:54

i am video editor and i use a media100 on one of those G mashines.
now, almost everytime i boot the computer i need to do the G3 opt
+cmd+p+r thing. thats fine so far, but i know, i need an update
to one of these newer linux intel macs. now, i heard that u
can use windows on mac now.
i still have a good pc at home which runs windows98 and something
called O5/2 (not sure my brother dit that)
here are my questions: can i use this linux-mac-os on the windows
computer? or if i need a new mac, does apple take my old one back
for some cash (u know like the car dealers do!) please help!

thanks aląt!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-08, 16:03

I worry that this is a troll...but here goes.

Your post is difficult to read. I'll try and translate and you can tell me if I got it right.:

1: You are a video editor using the Media 100 software.
2: You run this software on a mac of some kind, possibly a G3.
3: When you boot the G3, you need to reset the PRAM for some reason.
4: You think you need a new machine.
5: You've heard that macs will be on intel chips soon.
6: You've heard that you can run windows on a mac.
7: You have a Intel PC at home, with Windows 98 and OS/2 on it.
8: You want to know if you can run Mac OS on that PC.
9: You wondered if Apple had some kind of old hardware trade-in programme.

Is that a reasonable summing up?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:06

Okay...where to start?

I guess I'll start with a welcome. Welcome to AppleNova.

Allow me to clear up some confusion for you...Microsoft Windows runs on Windows compatible computers. A Macintosh (without additional software) will not run Microsoft Windows. Similarly, Macintosh computers run Mac OS X (pronounced Mac OS 10). Windows compatible computers will not run OS X.

Bottom line is, if you want to run the Mac operating system Mac OS X, you have to buy an Apple Macintosh computer from Apple.

What do you mean you run the G3 option+command+P+R every time you boot? Do you know what that does?

If you're interested in using that PC anymore, I'd recommend upgrading from Windows 98. 98 is one of the most piss poor OSs ever written IMHO.

If you want to run Linux on your Mac, you are able to, but it doesn't ship with Linux installed. OS X is built on a Unix platform. You are able to use native Linux functions through the command line interface, but that's too advanced for most. OS X has a great user interface so you can leave command line well enough alone.

Lastly, you are not able to trade in your computer to Apple (or any other computer manufacture) for a price break on a new one. Your best bet is eBay

Come waste your time with me
kutbhaala

2005-09-08, 16:31

thanks so far. i am sorry that my english is not so good, but
u got my questions right. i am not sure what u mean by troll, but
to clear this up i am actually from austria.
you think the media100 card is the problem, but that doesnt work
on windows pc. so can i put the media100 in the windows pc, when
it runs on mac os x?
pv2b

2005-09-08, 16:42

Intel based Macintoshes do not exist yet, and won't for several months.

When Intel based Macintoshes *do* come out, you *might* be able to run Windows on them as well as Mac OS X, but this will be officially unsupported. (But they're not going to put any special technical blocks in to stop you from trying.)

As for running Mac OS X on a PC, Apple definitely is going to put in some stuff to stop you from putting Mac OS X on non-Macs, although people have been able to run the Developer Preview of OSX for Intel on some specific PC setups. It definitely will be very unsupported, unrecommended and probably illegal and/or in breach of the End User Licence Agreement.

I don't think Apple will take back your G3 as part of a trade-in, but you can always ask them, but I don't think you'll have any luck. You might be better off just selling it on eBay or something if you need the cash.

If you need a new computer now, you can still get a machine based on the current PowerPC processors. If it does what you need it to do, great, buy it. No reason to wait for an Intel based Mac. Especially if you have a lot of older software you still want to be able to run, I definitely think you should pick up a PPC Mac before the Intel switch.

Finally, Intel based Macintoshes have nothing at all to do with Linux.

As for your Media100 card, I have no idea.

Hope this helps.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:44

After a little Googling I found out some more about the Media100 software you're talking about.

It appears as though you need OS X to run it, which would require you to get a new Mac because OS X will not run on your Windows PC.

For those of you unfamiliar with Media100, I found this information on it...link

Come waste your time with me
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-08, 16:55

Aha! My apologies: You were unlucky enough to ask exactly the kind of question that someone wishing to "troll" (to deliberately cause problems) would use.

Ok, here goes: Why do you need to reset the PRAM (thats what you are doing when you hold down those keys) every time you boot?

To answer your various questions:

Apple are migrating to intel processors. This does not mean that PCs and Macs will be the same thing.
It is unlikely that you will be able to run windows on a mac when this happens. You certainly cannot now.
It is very unlikely that you will be able to run a supported version of Mac OSX on a normal PC.
The PC you have at home sounds like it is pretty old, if it has Windows 98 on it. You certainly won't be able to run Mac OSX on it.
Apple have no hardware trade-in programme. You may, as the poster above says, be able to sell it on eBay.
No-one mentioned your Media 100 card. Although now you mention it, you may need to check with the people who manufacture the card that it will work on a Intel Mac.
However, all of this is irrelevant if you need a new machine now, as the Intel Macs are not yet available. You can buy a new G5 without any worries at all.
kutbhaala

2005-09-08, 17:15

wow! thanks a lot. i guess, i didnt put anough anttention to this problem. i dont know why my old mac doesnt work anymore, maybe
thats just what they do after a while.
i will take a look at apple store what new computers they got. or i ask
my brother what intel video editing solutions are on the market, if
thats the future anyways.
thanks again
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-09-08, 17:25

Woah there! No-one said PCs were the future...merely that Intel processors were. I would certainly stay on the Mac platform if I were you.

I'm not familiar with the Media 100 stuff (although I have just this minute downloaded the Software-only beta) so I can't comment, but take a look at the new Final Cut Studio (link to german site, which is what I use to edit, and it's great.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-09-08, 18:14

Sounds like the internal battery is failing. $4 part if you can find the one you need and replace it.