User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Is Windows still required for real estate MLS access?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is Windows still required for real estate MLS access?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-05-16, 10:37

I remember this being something that was talked about years ago, about how you never saw Macs in the real estate field because there wasn't a Mac client(?) for accessing that MLS stuff (I don't know all the lingo and specifics, so forgive my vague phrasing...you know what I'm talking about).

In fact, I think we've had the discussion here a time or two, years ago.

I ask because I know someone - she plays on a rival trivia team - who's a real estate agent. She said the computer she just bought two months ago (I remember when she did because she brought it to the pub...it was one of those MacBook Air knockoffs) has bogged down, she's lost some files, and she's having to lifeboat everything off and reinstall/reset everything. Of course, this was no surprise to me, as I've heard variations on this for ages.

She's so sad and dejected and she's saying "I just have bad luck with technology", and I'm telling her "no, it's not you...".

I have no doubt she'd be better off on a Mac (Facebook, surfing, e-mail, photos, music, etc.). However, the one barrier could be that MLS stuff, and accessing it for her job. And, no...I'm not interested in any "hybrid" approach of installing Windows on the Mac. That negates/undoes the whole point in a scenario like this.

Anyone here a licensed real estate agent/broker who uses a Mac for their job, 100%, and with no known issues/hassles?

Or is that still primarily a Windows-only type of occupation/field?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-05-16, 12:08

It was always because the system required ActiveX, which required Internet Exploder on Windoze.

I've heard of some movement towards an OS-agnostic web system, but I'm not sure it's in widespread use.

Each MLS board makes their own decisions AFAIK, so you should probably have her check with the tech dept. at the local Realtor organization.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2013-05-16, 18:04

My sister in law is a realtor and uses a couple MLS's and she hasn't had any real issues. For awhile she couldn't use safari with one because it wouldn't display the print options but other than that it's all good. None of them work very well on iPads.

She did run into a problem last year when her firm switched to a online based system for contracts that just didn't work on Mac. They had a workaround of downloading an old copy of Safari but she has a windows machine too so she would just use that. Not sure if that's been fixed.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-05-16, 21:14

Even if she can't go Mac-only, I wouldn't rule out a Windows-via-Parallels situation. I've dealt with several Realtors who use this solution and are much happier with that than with their previous WinTel setups.

It's not as bad as you might think, as the Mac side gets used for everything except the MLS stuff that isn't Mac-compatible. So the bogging down, losing files, etc. things that plague an average Windows user are not really a factor. But it does add another $150 or so to her costs (Parallels on sale somewhere, and Windows 7 OEM from amazon or newegg).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2013-05-16, 21:19

I use the Parallels approach too at work, although actually it's the free but kinda klunky VirtualBox from Oracle. It's good enough to do client development testing in, I would imagine it would be *fine* for a simple IE wrapper.
¡Damned!

2013-05-17, 07:10

I'll third the Parallels approach. It's actually kind've neat to be able to run Windows in a separate, erm, window without having to reboot your entire machine ala BootCamp. Of course she can go full-screen with it too if it feels better that way. I was pleasantly surprised how unobtrusive it is - not nearly as clunky as I imagined it would be.

Plus, it's not like it's a closed-off hole where everything you do in Windows is somehow trapped there. Everything is saved on the Mac-end, so like FFL points out above, situations where things get wonky on a Windows-only kit aren't really an issue.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-05-17, 14:08

Hmm, that's a possibility. Yeah, I think her job is only a small part of her laptop's life. She was already complaining a few weeks ago about regular day-to-day use. Thing is, she has an iPhone she likes, and so she has some direct insight into "the other side". She's certainly not anti-Apple, she probably just bought a newer version of what she's always used/known, thinking "surely I'll get through 6-8 months before things get shaky...".

Nope.

If she approaches me again, or brings it up, I'll let her know there's a "best of both worlds" approach she could consider. I don't take nearly as proactive/evangelistic stance as I once did. I'll mention something once, if/when asked directly, but after that its up to them. I'd rather let folks stew in their misery and come to their own legitimate, desperate conclusions these days.

Those switches are much more meaningful and appreciated.

Just a shame...the damn thing is two months old. And it's not like the hardware or specs suck...its a slick little machine (for a MacBook Air clone/wannabe). It's strictly OS/software...Windows, doing the usual, same horseshit it does to everyone who isn't a degreed, certified tinkerer/guru/tech nerd who "enjoys the challenge".

In any other industry - automotive, home theater, kitchenware, tools, musical gear, etc. - a brand new item crapping the bed two months into ownership would not be accepted or tolerated...by anyone! Yet, on this stuff it's just "how it is"/par for the course in the eyes of so many. She was on the phone with Samsung support all morning, she said.

She's calling/upset with the wrong company!

I'd be livid, especially when my job/career is riding on it. Of course, now she's left thinking "okay, so is this something I gotta dick around with every few months?"

Probably. It's a pattern/cycle I've seen played out about a gazillion times...people buying/upgrading new hardware to fix problems/hassles that are 100% software/OS-based.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-05-17 at 14:29.