Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The new iPad!
Page 10 of 18 First Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  Next Last Thread Tools
Wrao
Yarp

2010-01-27, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Was there an estimated date for availability?
60 days I think. Though I feel like I saw 30 days somewhere as well. Basically march.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

So basically get an iPad if what you want is yet another means of surfing the web at every waking hour, and get a netbook if you want to actually do something.
I'm not sure why you guys are saying that. It has iWork right now, and there's no reason why Adobe and other software companies couldn't write software for it. Heck, maybe we'll even see LaTeX down the road.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-01-27, 15:43

I wouldn't assume there's no multitasking across the board. It may be certain apps can be open and interact (web, email, iWork, etc). Also this is 1.0 variant so -not to rain on anyone's iOrgy- but very likely the v2 will be a big improvement, just like iPhone v2 was.

...into the light of a dark black night.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Was there an estimated date for availability?
60 days for the WiFi, 90 for the 3G+WiFi versions, is what I'm seeing at AppleInsider (scroll down to the bottom).

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-27, 15:46

I realize Apple would never do this, but I really would rather of had an "iPad" that could swallow my iPhone 3GS (or a forthcoming, more powerful iPhone) in an internal docking slot and use the iPhone hardware, just on a bigger screen.

That would be truly useful to me, and more attractive if it would then just use the 3G hardware and contract from the phone and I would have a great supplement that makes my iPhone better for travel, around the house, movie watching, large screen games, etc....

All without trying to "add" another device that really doesn't do enough for me on its own.

Just my 0.02.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-27, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I'm not sure why you guys are saying that. It has iWork right now, and there's no reason why Adobe and other software companies couldn't write software for it. Heck, maybe we'll even see LaTeX down the road.
Its form factor prevents it from being useful for this. The keyboard is too bulky to be easily portable, and without the keyboard it would be frustrating to try to type on it. And if you're using it at home with the keyboard, why not just use a real computer?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-27, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
I realize Apple would never do this, but I really would rather of had an "iPad" that could swallow my iPhone 3GS (or a forthcoming, more powerful iPhone) in an internal docking slot and use the iPhone hardware, just on a bigger screen.

That would be truly useful to me, and more attractive if it would then just use the 3G hardware and contract from the phone and I would have a great supplement that makes my iPhone better for travel, around the house, movie watching, large screen games, etc....

All without trying to "add" another device that really doesn't do enough for me on its own.

Just my 0.02.
Combine that with the keyboard dock and you get something resembling this:

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 15:49

One thing that is neat - and I just saw the pics at their site - is that case, which also allows for several propping/usage positions. That's pretty clever, actually...

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-27, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
So... basically, this device is a toy.
Was Apple ever making "serious" hardware? This has always been Apple's modus operandi. Yes, "toy" means consumer/lifestyle device like what you would use while on the couch. That's the point. I like the idea precisely for this reason. We are constantly looking things up while on TV or talking in the living room. You can of course use a notebook for this too, but this seems more intimate, more convenient, more fun and less costly for good quality. I guess I don't see how this and the iPhone deviate at all from Apple's past raison d'etre. It seems like a logical conclusion to be, as you say, a CE company, a maker of "appliances". They've never been a hotrod maker, and thankfully they did not become a luxury brand. For better or worse, this is exactly what the Mac was intended to be for its time, only it's 25 years later and now this is possible.

Luca, seriously, at this point, what is the point of arguing about replaceable memory cards, batteries and price points for these things? It's a given.

I'm not sure it's exactly what I want or if I really still want a notebook, but I think it's the right idea and the right direction to take. I think if it had just a bit more ability to create content instead of merely consume it (again, a more iPhoto-like Photo app, iMovie-like video app), it would be perfect for me.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-01-27, 15:51

Regarding multi-tasking: with a screen that big, what's stopping someone from making an app that "multi-tasks"? That is, have a widget running up in this corner, an internet browser window in that corner and a notifications app running up there? It should be doable, right?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

I don't get this at all. It doesn't seem practical for 99% the population. Do any of you know people who would look at this and say "that's what I need?" I agree with Pscates, this is a big (and pretty worthless) toy.

I could maybe see some universities buying these for people to give lectures with when they're pretty mobile but even that seems like a stretch. Plus, if you have an iPhone (or any smart phone) and already pay out the ass for your data plan would you really want to tack on another 30 bucks a month for unlimited data?

And All That Could Have Been

Miko
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, I'd have no interest in the 3G stuff at all. If I ever got one, it would be the $499 base model.
Exactly I would buy the 499 WiFi model for in home, coffee shops, etc, but the 3G having an iPhone already is garbage IMO plus carrying it around outside of the places that already have WiFi I can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I think it stands a 75% chance of being a true, raging success. I think there are enough "hmmm..." things about it that I can't get 100% bonkers over it. Time will tell...will it be another iPod and iPhone? Or will it be the 2010 version of the G4 Cube or iPod Hi-Fi?
I think the success lies in SDK for sure. The current iPhone apps on it seem a little silly like the Facebook app you should be able to get four times the information on a screen that size, but just scaling it up seems like a temporary fix i.e classing on OSX. My question is are they going to bundle the apps so if I bought an iPhone app am I going to get the iPad app as well?

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:54

You really can't do any work on a netbook either, not comfortably or practically, it's just a different set of compromises. Multitasking? On a small device like that, it's better to move back and forth between apps sequentially. The single-task/multi-task idioms may not apply in the same way they do for more conventional computers, and I'm not prepared to condemn it based on that. Content will rule the day here; we haven't really begun to see that change, yet...

Did they mention prices for unlimited 3G data connections?

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-01-27, 15:56

Good question re: app purchases.

OK, well, I'm clearly the only one who sees this thing as useful in my everyday life at home. It will probably go down in flames then. Which means I should snag one sooner than later (and no it won't have 3G most likely since it mainly for use on the couch and the occasional coffeeshop where we do have free WiFi around here).

Matsu: $30 for unlimited data.

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-27, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
You really can't do any work on a netbook either, not comfortably or practically, it's just a different set of compromises. Multitasking? On a small device like that, it's better to move back and forth between apps sequentially. The single-task/multi-task idioms may not apply in the same way they do for more conventional computers, and I'm not prepared to condemn it based on that. Content will rule the day here; we haven't really begun to see that change, yet...

Did they mention prices for unlimited 3G data connections?
$29.99 for unlimited

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
I don't get this at all. It doesn't seem practical for 99% the population. Do any of you know people who would look at this and say "that's what I need?" I agree with Pscates, this is a big (and pretty worthless) toy.
Whoa, whoa...wait a minute. I never said that at all.

Did you get me mixed up with Luca or some others?

I don't think it's "worthless" at all (and I never used the word "toy" either...some other folks above did). I think there's a market for it (and always have).

While I don't need (or want) one, I also know that I'm not everyone, and that others would be more than served by an iPad.

You're misquoting/misunderstanding me (or got me mixed up with something else entirely).

The more I read about and look at this, the better I feel about it. And watching that video opened my eyes a bit too. There's room in the world for this thing, perfectly, as is. I'll be on the side of "it'll find its mark, and be a successful product".

Wrao
Yarp

2010-01-27, 16:00

$30/ mo is pretty alright for unlimited data, especially considering it's hypothetically > 7 mbps. I pay about that much for a wired 6 mbps connection. 3g isn't quite where it needs to be for me to get rid of the wired connection entirely, but it's getting there pretty quickly. (or 4g by then)

RyanPaige

2010-01-27, 16:01

Quote:
So basically get an iPad if what you want is yet another means of surfing the web at every waking hour, and get a netbook if you want to actually do something.
But I've only ever used my netbook for Internet surfing, as, I assume, do a lot of people (probably why the term "netbook" is used to describe it rather than "small, underpowered laptop"), and it's often a pain in the butt to use it as such a device (extremely slow start-up time, iffy trackpad, too underpowered to run many applications, etc.) And I'd certainly never want to watch a movie or read a book on my Dell netbook (assuming the thing could even play a movie), and it weighs twice as much.

From what I can see right now, the iPad looks to be a more useful solution for me and the things I would do with it. The netbook has been a purchase I've regretted since I made it.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-01-27, 16:05

OK, another thought: where the hell does this thing land in Apple's site? Mac tab? iPhone tab? Time for another site redesign...

[edit] As a counterpoint to my previous post that I seem to be the only person (with apologies maybe to Scates and Murchison) that likes it, here are my gripes:

1. the homescreen is cartoonishly silly, what people mockingly joked about it being. They really need to fix that puppy up. It wears the cone of shame as it is.

2. the photo and music apps should be closer to their iLife counterparts in most ways. At least as far as organizing and some basic editing in the case of the photos.

3. iChat actually would be fun, albeit I have had little use of it myself. I can imagine a lot more people doing this with this kind of device though. Then again, I don't think video chat will ever take off in a big way. People like not to be seen on a phone or through text chat. (Nothing nefarious, but remember when Jane would put on her "face" in the Jetsons to answer the videophone? Yeah, like that.)

4. The pricing structure is too complex (for Apple at least), and you have to decide on whether you might ever want mobile data or not at the time of purchase.

Last edited by BuonRotto : 2010-01-27 at 16:15.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2010-01-27, 16:05

Pscates, I should have been more specific; I agree with your assessment that it is a toy (the worthless part was my add in....sorry it sounded pretty good in my head).

And All That Could Have Been

hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2010-01-27, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post

OK, well, I'm clearly the only one who sees this thing as useful in my everyday life at home. It will probably go down in flames then. Which means I should snag one sooner than later (and no it won't have 3G most likely since it mainly for use on the couch and the occasional coffeeshop where we do have free WiFi around here).
I think it's the perfect "mid device" that sits between a smartphone and a true laptop (Netbooks suck folks). Yes it's a big Touch but that's not really the draw here. The draw is the ability to utilize a larger screen and keep the weight below 2lbs and yet still offer more input capability with a physical KB.

I doubt that the inability to video chat is going to be a dealbreaker and if Apple ever gets that patent down where they embed a camera behind the screen then that issue neatly goes away.

I rarely take my laptop (15" HP) out on the plane. It's too bulky and loud and mainly I need it for simple utilitarian work. What I love about the iPad is the 10hr life and new Email, Calendar and Address Book views. I'm sure we're going to get multitasking eventually. That's a software issue more than a hardware one so I'm just going to remain patient.

I'm glad that the new Apple BT keyboard I purchased "will" work with the iPad.

omgwtfbbq

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 16:07

Quote:
Its form factor prevents it from being useful for this. The keyboard is too bulky to be easily portable, and without the keyboard it would be frustrating to try to type on it. And if you're using it at home with the keyboard, why not just use a real computer?
Have you owned a netbook? I couldn't type on mine for more than a few minutes at a time. I sold it.

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-01-27, 16:08

so any macbook pro updates in the next few days?

g

Quagmire
meh

2010-01-27, 16:09

Oh and if I didn't have my 17" MBP I would be tempted to buy this for taking it to classes for note taking since it has iWork. But, alas I have my 17" MBP to bring to class.

giggity

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
I think it's the perfect "mid device" that sits between a smartphone and a true laptop (Netbooks suck folks). Yes it's a big Touch but that's not really the draw here. The draw is the ability to utilize a larger screen and keep the weight below 2lbs and yet still offer more input capability with a physical KB.
It appears to be just useful enough to be useful. Maybe. I may wait to see whether developers take to it.

faramirtook
A for effort.

2010-01-27, 16:13

I actually want this to kill time in between classes... I hate typing notes anyway, and I usually have to lug around a lot of heavy books, so I'm usually less than willing to carry around my 13" MBP. Campus is totally wireless, so it should work everywhere, really. I might pick one up this summer once I start working again.

English majors will appreciate this idea: You can access the OED anywhere.

Woah.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think

Miko
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
OK, another thought: where the hell does this thing land in Apple's site? Mac tab? iPhone tab? Time for another site redesign...
It will most likely have a dedicated section on the main navigation they have room to work with not a biggie.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-27, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento View Post
Pscates, I should have been more specific; I agree with your assessment that it is a toy (the worthless part was my add in....sorry it sounded pretty good in my head).
I thought Wrao was the one who made that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Have you owned a netbook? I couldn't type on mine for more than a few minutes at a time. I sold it.
Actually, I haven't. But now that you mention it I do recall hearing a lot of netbook owners complain about their keyboards. Still not convinced the iPad will be any better for typing than a netbook, though. Maybe there's just no replacement for a full size laptop keyboard.

At this point I'm thinking the ideal device would be a netbook that's just big enough to accommodate a full-size keyboard. Basically a less overpriced MacBook Air with a smaller footprint, or a modernized 12" PowerBook. There are products like that on the market now and they're much more useful than the iPad, and I bet they'd be more comfortable to use in many situations as well.

Of course, when you start talking about full size keyboards, people start talking about regular notebooks. My counter-argument is that regular notebooks tend to be much heavier and larger in the $500-$800 price range. That range is considered budget for laptops but premium for netbooks. Depending on your use you might rather have a premium netbook that's thin, light, with a just-big-enough screen and a just-big-enough keyboard at the cost of power, or you might rather have a budget laptop that adds power but tends to be big and heavy and gets poor battery life.

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-01-27, 16:20

I just got out of a meeting--what happened to Verizon being a 3G provider???

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-01-27, 16:21

Also, my daughter is at Wake Forest--did they announce anything about textbooks. Some of these books are killing me costing nearly $150!