User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
September event rumored...subscription iTunes and iPhone iDisk access?
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
Jason
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
If I had a 160GB iPod, I'd carry that much in music, and I'd still be leaving music at home.
Me too. Many people have HUGE music libraries.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Me too. Many people have HUGE music libraries.
Ditto, but it would be movies for me. I'd love to copy all my DVDs to an iPod touch. I have the "I wish I had this with me" problem every time I'm on the road, but it's movies I think that about.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 09:25

Some last minute info coming out from AppleInsider and MacRumors this morning.

- New nano has motion sensor, and shuffle activated with a "shaking motion" :confusion:
- Nine colors total, including orange (yay!), purple and - for the first time on an Apple product - yellow(!)

I assume the other colors are blue, green, pink, silver, red, black(?) and then the three news ones. That makes nine. Pretty much covers all the bases. Surely there's something for everyone in those nine offerings?

I also assume that they'll move away from the pastels and back to the more vibrant, eye-catching (and popular?) hues of the 2G nano.

Also:

- Shuffle in five colors
- iPod touch looking pretty close to what it already does (no colors or new color on back, like white)
- Nano expected in 8GB and 16GB models
- The touch in 8, 16 and 32GB versions
- 120GB iPod classic (still black or silver)

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
- Nine colors total, including orange (yay!), purple and - for the first time on an Apple product - yellow(!)
Beatles yellow submarine edition nano! ZOMG!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 09:49

I'm trying to imagine yellow aluminum. It's either gonna be really gorgeous and cooler than expected, or one of those "WTF?!" things Apple occasionally does.

Could go either way.

As long as it's not a weak, pastel "canary yellow", and something strong and vivid (more "banana skin" or "school bus" yellow, with some richer, golden overtones), it might look neat. It's just funny that in all the years of Apple doing colors (from the fruit iMacs, and all the previous iPod minis and nanos), they've never used yellow.

It'll be interesting to see, simply from a "something new and different" standpoint. You never know...it might be the color that outsells them all, being so new and novel. They've got 10 years of pent-up demand working in their favor, after all.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-09-09, 09:59

I am proud to announce the AIM chatroom 'Applenova' is open for business, once again.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
I am proud to announce the AIM chatroom 'Applenova' is open for business, once again.
I'm debating whether I should be there. I'll be distracted enough, I think.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 10:05

Oh well, do stop by. Its completely unproductive and mal-coordinated, so it may be a welcome change of pace.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-09, 10:07

I wonder what the 120GB version would mean to the 160GB version iPod Classic? Would it disappear, or would it come down $50 in price? Will the 120GB model carry the same price as the Zune 120GB model or will Apple undercut the Zune again?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 10:15

I think Apple would opt to undercut the Zune, given a choice. If they won't top them in capacity, they'd probably offer a matching 120GB model at a lower price. That's my gut feeling on it.

Is 160GB as high as these types of hard drives currently go?

BTW, the online store is down already...nearly two hours out from the start of the event.

That means they need extra time to cram all the new crap in (tablet, 30" iMac, etc.).

j/k...today is "iPod only", I know.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-09, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

j/k...today is "iPod only", I know.
Nah, they've got to throw in something else. Maybe an iPhone goodie or two. I mean how long can Jobs drag on about simple iPod updates. Unless the iTunes 8 happens...then you know we'll have a long drawn out demonstration.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 10:22

Well, I mean "iPod only" in the sense of "stuff in the iPod sphere" (which would include things like iTunes 8, a possible iPod touch/iPhone update, a new accessory or two, that Nike stuff, etc.). But nothing involving notebooks, iMacs, tablets, towers, Cinema Displays, iLife or Final Cut or other Mac software, etc.

That's what I was getting at...nothing Mac-based.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 10:43

Hey, can anybody else get into the iTunes store? It's been slow all morning, but it doesn't seem to be responding for me now.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-09, 10:53

So, to approach this from a different angle, how much of the announced product do you guess will be available this afternoon at Apple stores???

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 10:59

Probably nearly everything. Unless there's some super-secret new product (not an update, but something really new) or a drastic change nobody saw coming, I'd say it'll probably all be there today.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Whats that thing you get banned for saying on days like today?

Yeh, well thats happened, by the way.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
So, to approach this from a different angle, how much of the announced product do you guess will be available this afternoon at Apple stores???
All of it? Isn't that usually the case with iPod-oriented releases? I wonder if the stores have received shipments over the weekends, and are waiting until this afternoon to put them out?

No way of knowing how the manufacturing or ramp-up is going. They could be out today, all of them. Or just some of them. Or Steve could give one of his infamous "we're announcing them today, and they'll be in stores on September 24..." statements.

How have the past 2-3 years of these September iPod events gone? I can't remember.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Whats that thing you get banned for saying on days like today?

Yeh, well thats happened, by the way.
You don't get banned for saying "the store is down".

You get banned for creating an entire, dedicated thread to that fact. It's unnecessary, its own thread about it.

From the chief himself:

Quote:
"Store Down" Threads

If you start one, you'll be banned for 24 hours minimum.

That is all.
But talking about it here, in this thread (or any existing iPod event-oriented one) shouldn't get you banned.

So yeah...the store is down, and has been for nearly an hour now.

Sometimes they'll take it down a full hour or two before an event, sometimes it goes down minutes before. Just depends.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-09, 11:05

I think it depends on how riled up Apple wants to get its fans.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 11:11

I always get a kick out of that huge groan that goes up when they unveil something cool, and then say "we're announcing today and taking pre-orders, and we'll be shipping by the middle of next month..." or whatever.

You can just feel the joy being sucked out of the room.

"Awww, man...I wanted one for this weekend!"

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-09-09, 11:13

I'd join the chat, but I'm at work...

So I guess the jackasses who like posting fake rumours in the chatroom can have fun without me bitchin' at them...

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-09-09, 11:14

I'm really amazed that they've pretty much wasted the whole year with the iPhone and now new iPods, I really really need a new MacBook and the current offering has got to be the worst buy ever.
But I realize it probably isn't going to be today.
It's almost like the computer business isn't sexy enough for  anymore.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 11:17

This has been a kind of boring year by Apple standards. Macbook Air. What else?

Edit: Oh yeh, wasn't that shitty time capsule thing also at MW?

Wow. That was in January as well. We need something shiny.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 11:19

Here's an interesting iPod nano rumor to chew on:

http://gizmodo.com/5047148/first-loo...nano-interface

I think it's legit, actually. It seems to fit well with the direction Apple's headed with iPods, without taking it too far past the old interface in one jump. They made an incremental change last year, and it seems about time for another.

[edit] Wait a minute. Does that say 1:65 or 1:05 for the time elapsed?

Last edited by Wyatt : 2008-09-09 at 11:31.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-09, 11:34

So now that you guys are all worked up I suppose it's a good time to tell you about that über secret rumour I've heard:

No iPod crap, but new PSUs for the Xserve.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-09-09, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
I'm really amazed that they've pretty much wasted the whole year with the iPhone and now new iPods, I really really need a new MacBook and the current offering has got to be the worst buy ever.
But I realize it probably isn't going to be today.
It's almost like the computer business isn't sexy enough for  anymore.
So true. I need one badly as well.
It would be a difficult segue into any laptop. Even the 'one more thing' would be odd to pull a MacBook out of the blue.

SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-09-09, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
So true. I need one badly as well.
It would be a difficult segue into any laptop. Even the 'one more thing' would be odd to pull a MacBook out of the blue.
If it's just an update with much needed price drop or feature additions then it might be a couple weeks, but if it's a new design it will probably be a month, if the are going to make a big "To Do" about it.

Although I'll tell you something, my iPhone is really close to making me not need a laptop, we got it before vacation and it filled in admirably for a laptop that cashed just before we left.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 12:01

Engadget says Jobs is on stage. Here we go!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-09, 12:03

My iPhone is exactly the reason I no longer crave a laptop! I've used my PowerBook mainly for e-mail, music and surfing/Internet access when out and about (I very rarely do any "real work" on it when away from home). But now my iPhone does those three things wonderfully, and in a much smaller, more convenient package.

So that's why my next Mac will be an iMac (and probably one of those 2.4GHz 20" refurbs for $350 off their original price).

I get so much more for the money (even if I bought new) than I could ever get on a comparably spec'd Apple notebook.

Jason
Veteran Member

2008-09-09, 12:42

So far.....meh.