User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?
Page 3 of 21 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 11:50

Awesome read, Kickaha. You should submit that somewhere. Lots of people should read that!

Every word rang true.

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-29, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
I just can't get over how outdated the springboard looks.
I'm very much with you on this. Thankfully that's the software piece and can change, but it's simply silly to have a blown up version of the iPhone/Touch home screen on a device like this.

How about widgets? A live iCal backdrop? Webcam backdrop? Stacks of icons?

That was really the best Apple could come up with?

I have do doubt that the home screen will be changing by launch time.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Five years from now, will desktops and laptops as we know them be something only the high-end, "power users" (animators, artists, musicians, etc.) need and use, while the rest of us carry around increasingly more powerful - but streamlined, efficient and intuitive - digital slates? Docking them to larger displays when needed, having them recognize one another for automatic networking/file sharing, cubicles consisting of little network boxes/keyboard docks, and the pad is inserted or removed as needed, taken offsite, etc.
My first thought was "Nah, but probably in 10."

Then I remembered iPhone, and all that has changed since 2005. 5 years ago, the RAZR was king among the masses, with the Treo 650 and various BlackBerries being used by the business types.

Now, the masses want smartphones, either based on OS X or Linux. That's a huge change.

Tons of regular users will still be using conventional computers, primarily because most people don't upgrade every 18 months or two years like we do. But I think that by 2015, we'll at least be to the point where iPad and similar products are viewed as viable options for the next "computer" purchase.

In short, I see iPad in 5 years being where iPhone us now. Not everywhere, not yet replacing the previous product (dumbphones/conventional computers), but viewed as a viable and perhaps desired option.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 12:17

Yeah, that might be more realistic. But it'll probably head that way, whatever the time frame happens to be.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-01-29, 12:20

Nice post Kick.

For me, putting aside the fact that I want to write software for it so I'll be getting one anyway, there are some real attractions to the iPad which only crystallised for me tonight. I hadn't even considered Pages or any of the apps on the iPad much, apart from how nice I though the calendar was. I was all about the GPU / CPU and what games I can write....

One thing I've always wanted is a device which I can carry around and write stuff on. Or doodle ideas onto drawing paper with. You know, just notes, ideas, sketches and stuff, perhaps a blog entry, or even a damn novel. But I want to be able to just grab it and use it when I feel like it.

Now stupid as this may sound I actually find the act of sitting at a desk and typing, or even having to sit upright in a comfy chair with a laptop kind of stifles my creative streak. It's fine for coding. In fact when I code I want a big desk, lots of screens and all that jazz. But the times I feel like writing I am usually on the sofa, in bed, or sat on the beach. At those times getting out even a small laptop is enough to make me not bother. In fact lounging in bed I find even my little 12" G4 with the clamshell design a bit inconvenient to use. I like to lie back against a pillow, with my legs bent and my book, or whatever resting against them. Now for surfing and email and stuff the iPhone is ok, but it's not really much good for anything more than short emails and texting really. Sure in a pinch I can log into my server with SSH even, download stuff, surf web pages and all that.. But it's a phone at the end of the day.

I've had so many little PDAs and ultra portables. Heck, I've spent literally thousands of dollars trying to find that mobile device that I can use as a creative pad. Yeah, I know.. Pencil and paper, right? Duh. But that still doesn't work for me.

I also have this irrational fear of losing stuff from HDs, and I am flakey with my creative stuff. I come back to it after months and forget to back it up. So having 64GB of flash memory is really quite appealing. And plenty of space when you're storing basically text. Even today I still use my first gen. iPhone as a USB drive to back up source code and haven't filled the 8GB on there even with some music and games and Apps and stuff sharing that space.

When the iPhone came out I wondered if I'd be able to write stuff on that, and of course the solid state memory is never gonna lose anything.. well not in my lifetime most likely. But it's too small.

So it occurred to me tonight, that for me personally at least, the iPad is looking like it may well be that creative device I'll want to drag around with me. And that the thing everyone is complaining about; that you can't use it very easily unless you're sitting down in a big comfy chair like Steve had at his presentation, is *exactly* how I will use it. And to be honest if I have a big inspiration spurt that I can't type in using the on screen keyboard I've got a ton of little BT keyboards kicking around.. But to be honest (unless I am typing gibberish into web pages like this) I tend to write creative stuff and personal letters a lot slower and more thoughtfully.

The other thing that occurred to me is that it *is* a damn computer. Sure Apple lock you out of the filesystem by default. But underneath it's a freakin' Unix workhorse - and developer account or not - I can hack the shit out of it to make it do anything I want.

So if I want to have a text editor on it and run gcc I can.

I am actually getting more and more excited about this the more I think about it.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2010-01-29 at 12:37.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-01-29, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Piece I wrote for another site...

iPad explained for geeks.

How many times have you heard (at least in your head), an SUV owner saying that they just don't get little SmartCars, Priuses, and so on? "You can't haul anything in them." "They do so *little*!" "Sure, the mileage may be great, but I need room for four kids, not four grocery bags." "They're just not *fun* to drive..."

And often times, the (stereotypical green-oriented) geek's response is "But not everyone needs an SUV!"

And not everyone needs a PC.

Think about it - the modern PC is a massively overpowered piece of kit for the average consumer. I don't mean the average geek, I mean the average *consumer*. Nearly everything we love and adore about a general purpose computer, is a painpoint for the average consumer.

Browsable filesystem: they lose their files.
Modularity and customizability: they have no clue where to start with the complexity.
RAW POWAH: for what, typing in Word?
Multi-tasking + WIMP UI: they can't tell what app they're in.

Sure, some of them will adapt, but a lot won't. Think about how many times you've had a tech support call from a relative, usually older, who is utterly lost. "Click on the Start Menu... no, it's in the lower left... yes, I know it says Start and you want to change printer settings, but... no, I don't know why it doesn't say Printer in that case... yes, just click on it... with the left button... no, there's no button on the keyboard marked 'Left', I meant the left mouse button... yeah... right. No, *left*! *headdesk*"

Alan Kay started the original Mac project with a very different vision than what finally came out: a computing appliance. It would do a single thing at a time, it would do it well, and it would be simple to use. Data would be owned by the app, sharing of data would be done through OS-handled requests using what we now refer to as metadata, and above all, it would be for the average consumer.

The average consumer wasn't ready for that, and the PC world is geek-centric, not interested in making such a device that doesn't cater to their needs. Oil, water. We may finally be getting back around to that though. The average consumer doesn't care about multi-tasking, if it means they get lost in the UI. They don't care about browsable flexible filesystems with redundancy, journaling, and distributed storage, if it means they can't find their data. They not only don't care about these things, they dread them. Frankly, I can't blame them. Think about the rather byzantine organizational systems we go through to keep our data where we can find it again. Just glancing at my own filesystem, my personal account file hierarchy is 14 folders deep at the deepest, and the widest directory has 37 folders in it. Think about the scale of that, and each folder name is a metadata tag, often redundant *and* duplicative. (Yes, that was on purpose.) Now we have tagging and searching tools such as Spotlight on the Mac and Google Desktop on Windows... and these are highly popular tools with even professional computer jockeys. Why? Because they remove some of our cognitive load. And we're trained in our lives to deal with massive cognitive loads... imagine what it must be like for the average consumer facing this world of complexity. Now, however, we are on the cusp of having cheap, portable, always-connected computing power that can be used not for eyecandy and pixel pushing, but to make the user's life easier through data organization that they don't have to do.

Until now, the PC world has been differentiated by the cost of the hardware, which is a measure of the raw power possible. Pay more, get more power... but you have exactly the same *experience* on each machine, just slower or faster. Windows and the Mac are, really, just two variants on the same theme: a geek machine. Consumers recognize they don't need a pro-level machine, so they buy something cheap... but it's just a *badly hobbled* pro machine, not a consumer machine. It's like recognizing you don't need an SUV, but your only option is an SUV body with 1.2L 4 cylinder engine. Kind of stupid.

Think about the tablet market up until now. Was it a new device? No. It's been a full computer crammed into a tablet. Same SUV, but now with spoilers, and sold as a race car. Urk.

All of which brings us to an interesting corollary: I predict that in this decade, we'll see a split in computing, on the same scale as the microcomputer/mainframe schism of the 70s. On the one hand, we will have the smartphones and iPad-esque tablets, aimed at the average consumer. They will do simple things, they will do them well, they will be extremely well connected into the internet, they will be geared for what a consumer does: consume. Lots and lots of media. Almost as a side-effect, they will be an organizational device, but their main purposes will be consumption of media, and communication. These devices will be (and are being) decried by the geek masses as underpowered, locked down, and useless toys.

And they will be everywhere. By the millions. They may be iPads, they may be from another company, but the dam is cracked, and in another year or so, it'll burst.

On the other hand, we'll have a more traditional PC: it will be geared for content producers, developers, and us geeks that need (or think we need) the power and flexibility. Prosumer vs. consumer... but just remember, there are a hell of a lot more of them than there are of us.

If you don't get the iPad, if you don't see the point, if you can't see how it's a useful device... that's okay. You're not the target market. You're a contractor with plywood to haul, who doesn't get the SmartCar. It doesn't fit your needs, at *all*. Or mine, really. I don't think I'll buy an iPad for myself, except maybe as a curiosity to play with... but you can bet I'm getting one for my Dad. And my grandmother. And probably my great aunt.

What, you don't want to cut down on tech support calls too?
QFT, also because letting this sit at the end of the previous page where many users will overlook it is nothing short of a travesty.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
I'm very much with you on this. Thankfully that's the software piece and can change, but it's simply silly to have a blown up version of the iPhone/Touch home screen on a device like this.

How about widgets? A live iCal backdrop? Webcam backdrop? Stacks of icons?

That was really the best Apple could come up with?

I have do doubt that the home screen will be changing by launch time.
I disagree. What's really wrong with it? What you want to do = make it more complicated. And that's not what this device is about.

And remember when his Steveness pointed out that 75,000,000 people already know how to use this device? It's because the interface is exactly like the iPhone/iPod Touch. Why break that?

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-29, 12:41

Personally, I just think it looks silly.

How about making the icons a little bigger at least?

I don't really think adding some functionality to the home screen will throw everyone "into a dizzy confusion".

Besides. When Steve says that "zillions of people know how to use it", what is he really saying?

That it's touchscreen driven, with a consistent UI framework and you always use the home button to get back to ground zero. I don't see how adding some useful functionality to the home screen or a few options for it would kill anyone.

The super simple, non-changeable, icons only approach is very appropriate for the phone. It would just seem that a more full featured device should (and I predict will) have some more going on at the home screen.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
And remember when his Steveness pointed out that 75,000,000 people already know how to use this device? It's because the interface is exactly like the iPhone/iPod Touch. Why break that?
That's an important point. All those people out there, walking around with iPhones or an iPod touch, just slide right into this thing. Not new gestures or approaches, or a brand new way to use it. We've all had small-scale "training wheels" for the past 2-3 years. It's a new product, but it's not going to be as intimidating or challenging to get right into as some new gadgets tend to be.

That'll be a huge check-mark in the "plus" column for this thing.

rdlomas, we're still 60 days from launch (and I still think a lot of things are being tweaked and ironed out), and 2010 will be full of software updates from Apple (including, I assume, a new iPhone OS at some point) and new apps from developers. I don't think what we saw Wednesday is anything carved too deeply into stone.

Apple has made small tweaks to software and interfaces in recent history, between introduction and release (or even after). And I'll bet $5 they've got their ear to the ground and are carefully taking in all the things they're hearing this week. Some of them may very well be put to use if they're valid, legit ideas or suggestions. I don't think Apple is above or beyond that, even now.

No, they're not going to make this a "real computer" and hinge on the word of pissed-off nerds, but they might be interested in hearing some feedback on smaller, fixable things like this.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-29, 12:52

Kick, that's an interesting analogy. On the other hand, using your analogy, I keep thinking of the iPad as being like a motorized scooter. Meanwhile, an equivalently priced laptop would be like an older used car. The scooter is cool and fun, but it costs the same and is much more limited even for someone without a lot of needs. You have to make a lot of compromises to use a scooter as your only form of transportation. What do you do in the winter? When it's raining? What if you need to get more than a tiny bit of groceries?

Similarly, you have the same compromises, even for the most basic users, if you try to use an iPad as your only computer. You can eliminate them by having a computer AND an iPad, just as you can eliminate the shortcomings of a scooter by getting a car to use as well, but then of course you're spending twice as much.

It just seems like the segment of the population that can actually use an iPad as truly their only computer is going to be very small. Same with how most scooter or motorcycle owners probably own a car to get them around when necessary.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-01-29, 12:56

Quote:
rdlomas, we're still 60 days from launch (and I still think a lot of things are being tweaked and ironed out), and 2010 will be full of software updates from Apple (including, I assume, a new iPhone OS at some point) and new apps from developers. I don't think what we saw Wednesday is anything carved too deeply into stone.

Apple has made small tweaks to software and interfaces in recent history, between introduction and release (or even after). And I'll bet $5 they've got their ear to the ground and are carefully taking in all the things they're hearing this week. Some of them may very well be put to use if they're valid, legit ideas or suggestions. I don't think Apple is above or beyond that, even now.
A lot of this is being discussed right now in the Developer forums. The OS is not by any means feature complete yet.

EDIT : Having said that.. How long did Copy Paste take to arrive in iPhone OS.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-01-29, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
It just seems like the segment of the population that can actually use an iPad as truly their only computer is going to be very small.
You may be right, but this segment will grow as iPad becomes more capable.

Quote:
Same with how most scooter or motorcycle owners probably own a car to get them around when necessary.
So, consider this: what about instead of a MacBook, you get a Mac mini and an iPad? Or instead of a MacBook Pro, you get an iMac and an iPad?

I think there are a lot of people who are interested in a second computer, but not interested the hassle associated with maintaining another full fledged computer, or dealing with keeping files in sync. This is as much for them as it is for the theoretical "grandma" user.

Actually, I'm one of those people. I do need the power of my MacBook Pro, but I don't need a full computer for a secondary machine. I want something smaller, lighter, and easier to use.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2010-01-29 at 13:11.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
Personally, I just think it looks silly.

How about making the icons a little bigger at least?

I don't really think adding some functionality to the home screen will throw everyone "into a dizzy confusion".

Besides. When Steve says that "zillions of people know how to use it", what is he really saying?

That it's touchscreen driven, with a consistent UI framework and you always use the home button to get back to ground zero. I don't see how adding some useful functionality to the home screen or a few options for it would kill anyone.

The super simple, non-changeable, icons only approach is very appropriate for the phone. It would just seem that a more full featured device should (and I predict will) have some more going on at the home screen.
I think the large spaces between icons looked a bit odd too, and certainly not quite 'Apple like'.

But I honestly believe that it was done this way only temporarily. I really think there are going to be a few more built in apps that Apple just wasn't ready to highlight yet.

They announced as much as they needed to prior to entering the FCC approval phase to meet most of the 'reasonable' expectations. They had their big 'wahoo' unveiling of the basic device and now they can finalize the other components they are working on.

If this wasn't the case, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't at least allow pre-ordering on the Wifi models. I also don't see any reason why they wouldn't have the complete specs up on the web yet (and they really don't).

There are more details to come on this.*

*I'm still not entirely convinced that there won't be a camera on this thing by March. Maybe they wanted to keep that part a secret, or maybe they still have some technical details to work out. In any case, it really wouldn't have been too difficult for them to manufacture a handful of units without a camera hole stamped out (either on the back or in the front bezel) and without the Camera icon on the home screen - just for this event.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 13:14

With Kodak suing them for patent infringement related to camera functions, maybe Apple needs to work on this first to keep an injunction falling on the iPad?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-29, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
You may be right, but this segment will grow as iPad becomes more capable.
Perhaps. Though I think it would require either a dramatic change in Apple's iPad philosophy or a heavier reliance on cloud computing to really work. If you store everything online and use web apps to access all your data, then you don't really need storage or syncing. If you don't do that, then Apple would have to make some big changes to the iPad in order to make it viable without a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
So, consider this: what about instead of a MacBook, you get a Mac mini and an iPad? Or instead of a MacBook Pro, you get an iMac and an iPad?
That's just personal preference I guess. Would you rather have a scooter and a beater, or a pretty nice car for the same price? Would you rather have a single jack-of-all-trades computer or two specialized ones? I guess I'm more of a single-device guy because I don't like having to manage my data between two things. Or maybe it's because I virtually never feel the need to have mobile internet access, so I'd rather spend my money on a desktop computer that does everything really well rather than half a dozen gadgets that do different things poorly. But that's just me.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
With Kodak suing them for patent infringement related to camera functions, maybe Apple needs to work on this first to keep an injunction falling on the iPad?
Good point. Maybe there are some ongoing negotiations that would have been impacted by announcing a camera in the iPad.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 13:24

I didn't know about the Kodak suit, but that would be just swell if this was only a temporary, for-legal-reasons omission, and come March-April we see shipping iPads with a little round hole (and green light) in the bezel.

Yeah, yeah...I know. But it never hurts to hope, right?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Kick, that's an interesting analogy. On the other hand, using your analogy, I keep thinking of the iPad as being like a motorized scooter. Meanwhile, an equivalently priced laptop would be like an older used car. The scooter is cool and fun, but it costs the same and is much more limited even for someone without a lot of needs. You have to make a lot of compromises to use a scooter as your only form of transportation. What do you do in the winter? When it's raining? What if you need to get more than a tiny bit of groceries?
Then it doesn't meet your needs.

OTOH, the iPad can be extended with apps. I guess you could add a sidecar to the scooter, but...

Frankly, I wasn't trying to say SmartCar == iPad and SUV == PC, only that there are entire classes of users for whom their needs are so intrinsic to what vehicle/computer to buy, that they simply can't even conceive how someone can get by with less. Imagine if the entire car industry were run by large truck/SUV drivers, people who *needed* to haul lumber, sacks of concrete, or a kid's hockey team, on a daily basis... do you really think we'd have many small cars? They'd have the same blind spot that 99% of the PC world does: there are other people out there for whom these devices *don't suit their needs*.

I mean, if you think about it, the entire PC industry is by geeks, of geeks, and for geeks. And... that's it. If you want to own a PC, or do things that require a PC, you're just expected to become a geek, to some degree. It's as if we're back in the 1920's car industry again, where owners did their own maintenance daily to ensure that the engines ran well. If you were wealthy, you hired a mechanic to keep it running. If not, you were an eccentric guy who tinkered in the garage every weekend. There wasn't much in between.

But the auto industry figured it out, and so will the PC industry.

Seriously, think about how much *maintenance* a user needs to go through, even today, as opposed to *use* of a PC. Is it a *huge* amount anymore? Not really. Things like Time Machine, etc, make it a much less maintenance-intensive ownership, but it's still needed on a regular basis. I don't think that we can, as an industry, claim to be consumer-oriented until the consumer can think about the inner workings of, and contingency plans for, their computing devices, as little as they do for their cars. When we have computers with maintenance plans along the lines of the current crop of 100k-tune-up-free engines... then we can say we're doing a good job for the consumer. Obviously, people *don't* like tinkering, or Jiffy Lube wouldn't exist. I mean come on, changing oil is *dirt simple*.

Quote:
Similarly, you have the same compromises, even for the most basic users, if you try to use an iPad as your only computer.
Such as? Other than Flash and Java.

Quote:
You can eliminate them by having a computer AND an iPad, just as you can eliminate the shortcomings of a scooter by getting a car to use as well, but then of course you're spending twice as much.

It just seems like the segment of the population that can actually use an iPad as truly their only computer is going to be very small. Same with how most scooter or motorcycle owners probably own a car to get them around when necessary.
I think it's going to be contingent on two basic functionalities: printing and backing up. If it can do those out of the box, then the need for an actual PC is about nil for many people. Many *many* people. (Toss in scanning support, and you've got the majority of all home user needs covered right there.)

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2010-01-29, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I think the large spaces between icons looked a bit odd too, and certainly not quite 'Apple like'....
Are you talking about the icons along the bottom? I heard that you can drag more icons down there that supposedly make it look better.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Are you talking about the icons along the bottom? I heard that you can drag more icons down there that supposedly make it look better.
Yes those, but even the icons on the main screen above that look a little to widely dispersed. But then, if you moved them to 5 or 6 across, the main screen would have really looked empty.

I would think that setting a preference for # of icons per row would be a simple thing so I would expect something like that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 13:42

Everywhere. That 4-across grid seems strange. And I don't know if that bottom dock is exactly like Leopard's? Is it? If you toss 10 icons down there, will they shrink/squeeze-in as needed, as they do on a Mac (I can't imagine that being the case)? Or is it more of a static thing, remaining the same size and holding the same four icons? And why is the Leopard Dock even being used, period?

I just think a 5-across grid (icons the same size) doesn't look so space-y and "hole-y"... and a bottom dock/well that isn't the Leopard one for no apparent reason

BTW, where is the Weather widget?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 13:44

In the same black hole that swallowed the calculator app? *shrug*

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-29, 13:46

I think the iPad is the first computer (you know what I mean, don't get hung up on semantics) to go in the living room.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
I think the iPad is the first computer (you know what I mean, don't get hung up on semantics) to go in the living room.
I said this earlier, I think this is a great 'coffee table computer'. Quick power up from standby, point at what you want and go.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 13:56

Ayup. Heck, my iPhone is basically this now... it's the trackpad for the mac mini that's my HTPC. You know what it's missing? A decent keyboard.

Voila. Done.

I think this just decimated the custom theater uber-remote market. And the home controller market. And... and... and...

Think about all the hella expensive touchscreen (or not touch!) controllers that this just completely obsoleted, for 1/3-1/4 of the price.

Crap. I think I just talked myself into getting one just for the home.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I said this earlier, I think this is a great 'coffee table computer'. Quick power up from standby, point at what you want and go.
Think how neat it would be if they provided an tv controller app you could use from the couch, all touch-screen and stuff (if that already exists for the iPhone/iPod touch, then I apologize...I don't really follow that product much).

It's kinda neat, how 48 hours (almost exactly) later, things are shaking out and the dust is settling and people are getting over their initial letdown or indifference and realizing, in various ways, just what such a product is and how it fits (or could fit) into their lives. Or the lives of people they know.

This site (and others) should probably just shut down completely for 1-2 days immediately following any keynotes or product introductions. Just let people hibernate, gather their thoughts, get any anger or grief out of their system, etc. and then show up a couple of days later and realize a) it's never as bad as originally assumed, and b) it'll only get better from here out, and c) (most important) not everything Apple makes automatically has to have you in its crosshairs.

In fact, there should probably be an app called TheDon't$#(%$BuyIt, to help folks out.

"This doesn't do any of the things I wanted! It's not a real computer! I can't use Final Cut on it! What's up with Apple these days? **ENTER** -- Then don't $#(%$ buy it! --

You know, like a little "reminder" app or something?

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 14:02

Quote:
You know, like a little "reminder" app or something?
Yea, but without background processing, it can't remind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I think this just decimated the custom theater uber-remote market. And the home controller market. And... and... and...
I almost wrote this yesterday. I'm in the process of doing a full remodel on my soon to be house (down to the studs inside, replacing all electrical, etc.) and I'm seriously considering replacing everything with home automation outlets so I can control my house from my iPhone, or my wife's iPhone, or the iPad ...

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-29, 14:02

Ayup, our iPhones act as this device for us too, but this one can actually have two people around it on the couch and not have us doing our own thing at the couch. It's also a benefit to be able to sit on the couch and not in separate seats in an office or in a corner of the room at a desk. You can both tap and touch, no mouse to "share". Laptops, oddly enough, weren't any better. They're somehow very single-user. I can see my wife and I, one of us holding, the other touching, or each of us holding either side and gathered around this. I don't mind that it's not completely self-sufficient (with only 16-64 GB capacity, that's just not feasible, I only want a few more tools at our disposal.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-01-29, 14:03

Quote:
Or is it more of a static thing, remaining the same size and holding the same four icons?
It holds at least six.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 14:09

That's a much nicer, tighter look. I assume there's some sort of slider preference in the System Prefs where users can choose this (and maybe even icon size, if you've got older, weaker eyes?). I don't know.

Man, for a product I'm not even getting, I sure am sweating the details and making a lot of demands/requests.

Apparently there needs to be a companion WhyDon'tYouSTFU? app as well.