MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 5 of 21 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-26, 11:01

The sites are back online and I'm pretty sure I've corrected the issue. I've had to clear my cache a few times because of the redirect so you might have to do the same. I've opened port 80 to my web server but left port 443 closed in the firewall. If you are getting it hanging for a long time you likely need to clear your cache.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-26, 15:00

Looking good here!

Out of curiosity, how to you handle the redirect when the maps are offline? Do you serve a 301, 302, or a normal page with meta refresh or some JS to push to the forums? If you serve a 302, the browser probably won't cache it and you won't get stuck with manually clearing your cache. 301 tells the client this is a permanent redirect, but 302 is temporary.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-26, 16:17

I actually don't take them offline anymore at all. Since the only thing that really changes are tiles and some of the .js files I just leave them up all the time. I figure normal use will refresh those no.

The redirect I was doing was via meta refresh in the .html page. Not the best, but why caching was such an issue.

The issue with the redirect to the SSL was because some of the changes I made last night inadvertently turned all my sites to use one SSL (Self-signed that I already trusted) and switch to port 443. I have since found that bug and crushed it, though I'm still working through other issues on the server.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-04-26 at 21:58. Reason: Actually caught a typo
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-26, 17:55

Looks like your fix reverted and it's back to redirecting to HTTPS again...

Code:
bradsmith@computer:~$ curl -I http://mcmaps.applenova.com HTTP/1.1 302 Found Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:55:32 GMT Server: Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) PHP/5.3.28 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.26 OpenSSL/0.9.8y DAV/2 Location: https://mcmaps.applenova.com/
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-04-26, 17:55

< Turns on Google translate >

< Internet breaks >

DRAT!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-26, 21:17

And it's fixed again. Three cheers for Mr. T!

edit: (mere minutes later) Maybe not! I'll keep my yammer shut until T makes an official statement.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-26, 21:55

OK, should be fixed for now. I'm done playing with it anyway and it's working. I've left port 443 blocked in my firewall though. The redirect you see Brad is internal to the server when it defaults everything to SSL.

I do have more to do, but not sure how much more I'm willing to tinker with it for the next few days. Most things are working again for me anyway.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-05-10, 22:42

Server keeps restarting due to an IP address change. FiOS did the same thing to my setup last night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-10, 22:52

Thanks for pointing this out. In this case the issue was due to a nagging issue I'm having in my home and not a FiOS IP change. I've disabled the cron that was issuing the restart.

Basically since I added an IPv6 tunnel to tunnelbroker.net and configured my router for it I've had an odd issue where I'm loosing routes in my home. A site (like forums.applenova.com) will work one minute, I'll hit Reply and it can't find the server.

This has caused me many hours of frustration. What it ended up causing for the MC server is my "external IP" to look like my Mac server's IP. This forced a restart of the game server. Sorry.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-12, 10:30

My router might reboot randomly during the day. One of my coworkers is familiar with all aspects of my set up so he might reconfigure and force a reboot of it. If that happens, sorry. You won't get much notice since I've only given him router access.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-08, 20:39

I just discovered an issue on my network that is going to require a switch changeout. This will improve service, but drop the connection for anyone playing. I'll try to give aheads up, but if I don't get in game to do it, I'm posting it here.

One of my "good" Cisco 10/100/1000 switches went half-duplex. I have a cheap D-Link on hand so I'm going to make that swap shortly. It's a 5 port compared to the 8 port it's replacing though. I'm going to daisy chain some of my other ports off of the two free ones on my AirPort Extreme for those.

This might make a difference in some of the in game lag we've seen. Something about going from half-duplex to full-duplex again.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-08, 22:58

I didn't realize you lived in a duplex.

But, hey, whatever floats your little wooden boat!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-08, 23:00

With the numbers I have running around here you might think I did!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-11, 19:59

So the new switch came in today. I'll try to wait until everyone is out of the game before making the swap, but if you are in an get dropped it was likely the switch changeout. Sorry. It's for a good cause though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-06-11, 21:37

The switch has been switched. Sorry if you tried to get on and couldn't. All should be well now though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-26, 14:59

I'm going to need to do some maintenance on the machine that houses this server again soon. I'm thinking maybe tonight but it might be Thursday at some point too. Either way, I'll check to be sure no one is on the game when I do pull it down. I'll also try to recall to post here once the downtime starts.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-26, 15:09

While you're at it, hit that 1.8 button, would ya?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-26, 15:15

I am fairly certain the plan is to wait for 1.8.1 to drop first. I'm ok with doing the upgrade, but I don't have the time to trim the map and all the other stuff involved with upgrading this weekend. I have family in town, but can take the time to blow the dust out of Junior and to the Windows Updates needed.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-26, 15:19

Family in town? What kind of lame excuse is that?
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-11-27, 19:20

Is the server down?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-27, 19:21

So I finished cleaning up the server but now I'm getting an error when I try to log in. Thing is, MC.net doesn't show the error:

I really wanted to try to get into the server and test it. I turned off the online mode but then the game said I wasn't whitelisted.

From the server log:
Code:
[18:44:05 ERROR]: Couldn't verify username because servers are unavailable
Edit: Looks like the VM might be having an issue getting online. Working on it now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-27, 19:41

We are live again! For some reason the VM lost it's route and I had to manually add it:
Code:
[root@anmc current]# route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 1002 0 0 eth0 [root@anmc current]# route add default gw 192.168.10.1 [root@anmc current]# route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 1002 0 0 eth0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
Code:
[19:04:54 INFO]: turtle2472[/192.168.10.113:54844] logged in

Last edited by turtle : 2014-11-28 at 01:05.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-11-27, 21:25

I will rootplug the main hoster later tonight.

If you'd like I can re-route the channel lock to a side table.

I won't be up really late though, so if the Genmask needs to be Gateway'd I may need to be iFaced.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-11-27, 23:00

Think you need to stick to hosket
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-11-28, 00:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I will rootplug the main hoster later tonight.

If you'd like I can re-route the channel lock to a side table.

I won't be up really late though, so if the Genmask needs to be Gateway'd I may need to be iFaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Think you need to stick to hosket

There seems to be a need for more X-factors in the main bus. Hopefully, Turtle can Bradify the host casket and the corridor configurator so the watchamcallit don't freak out!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-11-28, 01:58

If this were reddit I'd have gold by now.

If any of you bitches was secret rich you'd have mailed me some REAL gold by now.

Ima stick to hosket like Brad Pitt suggested.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-12-07, 22:07

I've shut down the game to do the 1.8 upgrade.

Hold onto your butts.
¡Damned!

2014-12-07, 22:15

The white-list is busted.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-12-07, 22:18

Upgraded! I think. The basics are working, at least.

I haven't trimmed the world chunks yet. I'll catch up on that later this week.

Enjoy!

(I deliberately bust the whitelist so I can test the game in isolation immediately after an upgrade. Should be ok now.)

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-07, 22:23

I've grabbed a copy of the world and making the archive of the pre 1.8 world map now. I'll post once it's done and I've had a chance to put it in it's archive home. For now once the map gen finishes it will end up where you normally look. After Brad trims the world I'll make a fresh map since it doesn't handle delete chunks very well.