AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Application for home layout?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Application for home layout?
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 02:51

Hello.

Does anyone know of an application that works well to play around with the interior design of a home?

Nothing fancy; easy to use; free or cheap. I will use it mostly for furniture layout, but also possibly room design on a floor level.

I remember seeing the very impressive looking plans of a AN member who as I recall really liked the color orange.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AWR
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-08, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
...AN member who as I recall really liked the color orange.
I believe that would be pscates.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 04:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I believe that would be pscates.
Thanks Brad.

BTW, do think that one of the myriad of apps you are familiar with (iDraw, iGraffle, etc., etc.) would be suitable for my purpose (even if it is packaged as something else)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-08, 04:08

Well, it's certainly doable with an app like OmniGraffle, but it wasn't designed for just that purpose.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 04:17

Quote:
Well, it's certainly doable with an app like OmniGraffle, but it wasn't designed for just that purpose.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

iGraffle? Apologies for being such a chucklehead.

OmniGraffle looks nice indeed - I would like to have it on my computer (and will some day). We have, however, just spent all of our money.

I wonder if there is anything a wee bit less expensive (free). I can see myself getting into this project and then having it over come by events.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-08, 04:23

If you want a free illustration app, there's no better than Inkscape.

Again, it's not geared specifically to this task, but it can do it.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 04:25

Quote:
If you want a free illustration app, there's no better than Inkscape.

Again, it's not geared specifically to this task, but it can do it.
Thanks again, Brad. I'll give Inkscape a whirl.
Anonymous Coward

2006-05-08, 04:26

If you like OmniGraffle, but are new to the application, be aware that people have created stencils you can download. I haven't seen one for furniture, but there is one for bathrooms.

http://www.omnigroup.com/application...raffle/extras/

If you searched on the web and found some furniture shapes, it's easy to make your own stencil by cutting and pasting images.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 04:31

Thanks for that AC.

There are a lot of potentially useful 'stencils' available. Worth checking out for anyone who as OmniGraffle.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-08, 12:03

Hey, AWR (just got your PM)!

There is indeed a product for this purpose (I did mine from scratch in Illustrator because a) I liked the challenge of measuring and drawing from scratch and b) I'm an idiot.

For the life of me, however, I cannot recall. It works in 2D and basic 3D as well. I saw it on a MacMinute.com story a good while ago (a year or so, maybe). And I know that Macworld magazine did a review of this product within the 12-16 months.

I am drawing a complete blank on this thing...but I want to believe it had the word "interior" in its name?

That might give you some things to search for, to narrow it down. I downloaded their demo back in 2004 or so and played with it, but decided just to do straight elevations and isometrics in Illustrator myself (for the above reasons).

If I come across this product - or suddenly remember the name - I'll post it here!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-05-08, 12:45

I used OmniGraffle 3.x to produce the following blueprint of our new place, and lay out the furniture before we moved. All the distances were hand-done from measurements, and yet the whole thing took me about 90 minutes to draw up. OmniGraffle Pro 4 includes auto-measuring lines, so it would have taken me much, much less time now. The whole thing is to scale, btw.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Furniture.pdf (32.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf Blueprint.pdf (29.5 KB, 24 views)
scrouds

2006-05-08, 20:07

Last time I laid out a room, I used Appleworks. It was fun, I think.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-05-09, 00:48

Isnt there some sort of 3D home design software? I remember I had one on my old Pentium 60. It came on like 2 floppy disks and cost like 9.99$

it was pretty cool..

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-09, 01:48

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

and b) I'm an idiot

Welcome to the Q.

Quote:
I am drawing a complete blank on this thing...but I want to believe it had the word "interior" in its name?
I'll look around for something along these lines.

Quote:
If I come across this product - or suddenly remember the name - I'll post it here!
Thanks a lot for the help; much apprciated.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-05-09, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
I used OmniGraffle 3.x to produce the following blueprint of our new place, and lay out the furniture before we moved. All the distances were hand-done from measurements, and yet the whole thing took me about 90 minutes to draw up. OmniGraffle Pro 4 includes auto-measuring lines, so it would have taken me much, much less time now. The whole thing is to scale, btw.
Wow, kickaha. Those plans look excellent, good job. In the back of my mind I imagined I wanted to do something along these lines. OmniGraffle looks like a great tool for a lot of things - I guess I'll look under the mattress for a few more pesetas.

Thanks for posting the plans - I found them very helpful.

PS. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions.