Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

I inherited a rear-projection Sony HDTV and it looks like hell

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I inherited a rear-projection Sony HDTV and it looks like hell
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-09, 17:24

So I just moved into a new place. The last tenants abandoned the place, didn't pay the last months rent. They just up and left. All the services to the house got cut off (internet, cable, etc...) but on the flip side, I've inherited a bunch of stuff.

Among the stuff, a 42" rear projection Sony HDTV. It was probably a very nice TV when it was new (looks to about 5 years old) and it goes up to 1080i. Only problem is, the picture looks like absolute garbage.

The phosphors on the other side of the TV are very clearly out of whack, red and green light bleeds from everything. It's fuzzy as hell, I just watched a trailer in 720p, but it looks more like a VHS.

Is something physically wrong with the TV, or is there away to fix (or at least, improve) the picture? Or should I dispose of it and get a new TV?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-09-09, 17:26

Yeah, there are little deals in there (forgot what they're called) that handle the red/green/blue on the image.

If/when they get out of whack the picture looks like shit. If you look up the make/model, and then do a google search you should be able to find the fix for under $100.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I've fixed one before, but I can't for the life of me remember what any of the parts were called.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-09, 18:15

Rear projection TVs look like shit anyway, but I'm sure it's gotten worse since it was new.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2008-09-09, 21:12

Dig through the menus - there should be a Image Shift setting that will align the picture correctly.

You might also try resetting it to the factory settings:
With the TV on, hold down the Reset button on the remote and press the Power button on the TV.
The TV will power on and off, then release the Reset button.
(you do have the remote, right?)

Otherwise, try Googling the model number and downloading the manual.

Good luck!
Partial
Stallion

2008-09-09, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Rear projection TVs look like shit anyway, but I'm sure it's gotten worse since it was new.
Disagree. CRT looks far better than anything else still imo. Wish I could be more help Kraetos. You should be in like flint if you get it fixed.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-09-10, 00:13

The image shift is controlled by the parts I was referring to above. Eventually they go bad/fail on Sony TV's. (maybe other brands, but I've only ever seen the giant Sony sets.)

You can take apart the TV and replace the two magnet deals that control the green and red shift I believe, but again, I forgot what the parts are called exactly.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Rehnquist

2008-09-11, 14:33

If its like my old Sony it might have a convergence adjustor, looks like four arrows pointing in to a box, press it an it should align all the colours into a sharp image.
Not sure if it helps at all but I hope it does.

Here is a link to a PDF telling you all about convergence.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-11, 16:55

I couldn't find anything relevant in the menus. I'm guessing that it's the magnets.

It's not really worth it to me to put in time or money to get this TV fixed. I have a perfectly good 32" LG LCD at my parents house they aren't using and said they'll happily donate. It's smaller, but the picture's obviously a lot sharper and my new house isn't particularly big either. I think the svelte 32" LCD will look better in the same place. The rear-projection stuff just takes up too much space

That said, if you live near Albany and you want a broken 42" Sony HDTV for cheap, let me know

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-11, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Disagree. CRT looks far better than anything else still imo. Wish I could be more help Kraetos. You should be in like flint if you get it fixed.
I'll agree that CRTs produce better colors and scale to other resolutions readily, but you can't beat the clarity (or the footprint!) of an LCD.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-11, 19:05

Also, rear-projection TVs aren't the same as CRTs. A direct-view CRT is much clearer because the image isn't being magnified and projected onto a screen. Also, image quality varies depending on the type of projection TV. CRT projection TVs are the worst; DLP are the best.