User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iPhoto - Space Hog?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto - Space Hog?
mlipkin

2007-07-05, 20:23

So I uploaded all of my photos into iPhoto the other day and I just noticed that the size of my Photos folder just about doubled. I checked and I found out that in the iPhoto library folder there is a full sized copy of all of my pictures. Two things:

1. Why would Apple have the program do that? It just seems like a waste of space.

2. I don't like wastes of space. I would assume if I delete the copies, then iPhoto will have nothing in it. So should I delete the originals? Do I lose anything?

Thanks
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-05, 20:35

For iPhoto to be used most efficiently, photos should be either directly imported to it or directly saved to it. (E.g., when saving a photo, save it to the iPhoto library, not to your desktop.)

If you're looking to save space, you should delete the original files. If you delete the ones in iPhoto, then they'll disappear from your iPhoto library.
mlipkin

2007-07-05, 20:44

Just to be doubly sure, if I delete all the photos that are not in the iPhoto library folder and have already been uploaded via the program, I will NO downside?

Can never be too careful
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-05, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipkin View Post
Just to be doubly sure, if I delete all the photos that are not in the iPhoto library folder and have already been uploaded via the program, I will NO downside?

Can never be too careful
If all of the photos you want are currently in your iPhoto library, then you should be fine deleting the originals.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-07-05, 21:05

Yeah, much like how iTunes stores the songs in it's directory/organization (if selected to have iTunes manage music) is how iPhoto does it. So if you say download you camera card into the Photo directory and then import them into iPhoto you will double your images. iPhoto *copies* the image into it's own folder. So if you see your image in iPhoto under Library then you don't need it anywhere else in Finder.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
mlipkin

2007-07-05, 23:43

Awesome. Thanks guys for clearing it up.
Chris - My First Mac

2007-07-06, 17:53

Also, iPhoto has it's own trash for photos you delete when in iPhoto. Don't forget to go through and empty that from time to time.

-Chris
http://myfirstmac.com
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-06, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - My First Mac View Post
Also, iPhoto has it's own trash for photos you delete when in iPhoto. Don't forget to go through and empty that from time to time.

-Chris
http://***************
Chris, please stop spamming the boards with your URL. We have signatures for that sort of thing. The reason you'd want to use a signature instead of putting it in the text of your post is that signatures do not turn up in the search findings.

Say that someone wanted to search for actual *posts* about your site. If they search, every single one of your posts would be returned in the results because you put it in the body of your text. Bad form.

edit: Chris PM'ed me saying he was looking into the signature thing. I think he genuinely didn't realize it was there. Live and learn, I suppose.

Last edited by torifile : 2007-07-06 at 19:40.
Chris - My First Mac

2007-07-06, 19:19

Hi Torifile,

I didn't realize that. My bad. I'll look into the signature bit next time.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-07-06, 19:20

Of course, I saw this subject line and figured you had pictures of the band performing "In The Meantime" or somesuch.