AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

What do you write with?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What do you write with?
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-12-14, 14:22

It's nice! Gave it a shot. Not sure that it's enough above and beyond Scrivener's full-screen mode with some calming music on iTunes though, for me to make the jump.
Jason
Veteran Member

2009-12-15, 01:13

I'd like to get hold of these...

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-12-16, 12:43

I just filled an entire bluebook during 2.5 hours of an exam. =|

with a Zebra F-301. Thing writes like magic.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-12-16, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I'd like to get hold of these...

I can't write with traditional pencils anymore. Writing with them causes a very unpleasant spine-tingling sensation for me, like fingernails on a chalkboard. If I must write with a pencil, I have to use a mechanical one (although I never have to write with a pencil and always write in pen on the rare occasion that I write anything by hand). Regular pencils can only work if they're somewhat dull or have soft lead, although dull pencils are horrible writing implements.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-07-25, 18:45

I have bought a small pack of 207's, per Robo's recommendation. They're smooth and help prevent check fraud too! I'll give them an extended workout taking notes this year.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
SpecMode
Wait what

2010-07-25, 20:24

I'm a fan of the "poor man's Mont Blanc" - a Pilot G2 retrofitted with a Mont Blanc fine point rollerball refill. Writes beautifully, and cost a mere fraction of a genuine Mont Blanc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-07-25, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I'm a fan of the "poor man's Mont Blanc" - a Pilot G2 retrofitted with a Mont Blanc fine point rollerball refill. Writes beautifully, and cost a mere fraction of a genuine Mont Blanc.
Oooooo good idea. I can do this with ease...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-07-25, 23:49

I bought a Pilot Knight fountain pen a few weeks ago, really enjoying it:

But if I’m on the computer, LaTeX. Nothing compares once you understand it.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2010-07-26, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
The MB Pilot G2 mod makes for a great writing pen...my only problem is the refills don't last long--IME, typically only around a month or less with the amount of writing I do daily. A while ago, this prompted a switch to the Pilot Hi-Tec-C, which I love.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
Roughly 4 years ago, my first experience making the Pilot G2 with the Mont Blanc cartridge still stands as one of my slightly embarassing, absentminded life errors. None of the local stationery chains had the Mont Blanc refills stocked, so I decided to just go to a Mont Blanc shop. At the time, the street it was on had all this scaffoling up, which obscured the building addresses and signage. Anyway, I walk into the store I think is MB and am quickly greeted by this very pretty, svelte woman with a thick German accent asking whether she could help me with anything. I respond with something like "Yeah, do you have any of the blue, fine point refills for the rollerball pens?" Her face becomes quizzical, she slightly tilts her head, and asks "Sorry, what was that?". It's at this point I bother to take my eyes from her and look around the store...to see several mannequins outfitted in lacy bras, underwear, garters, teddies, stockings, etc and realize I am in the wrong store. Sheepishly, I tell her I thought this was Mont Blanc store and have accidentally went into the wrong shop. She smiles humorously and graciously tells me "Oh, that's next door but if you need help finding lingerie" and gestures vaguely with her hand at the rest of the store. Needless to say I left feeling like a jackass, though also relieved the saleswoman was kind about it--I'm guessing it wasn't the first time someone had done that.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-08-12, 03:08

I'm seriously tempted by this little beaut... can't wait to try it out.

http://blog.sharpie.com/2010/08/intr...liquid-pencil/

If it has something approaching my usual 0.5mm mechanical pencil tip, faaaaaabulous...
Kaelri

Send a message via AIM to Kaelri Send a message via MSN to Kaelri  
2010-08-14, 11:01

These. Yeah, they're cheap and disposable, but I love them. If I got fifty of them for Christmas, it would be a good Christmas.

As for digital stuff, I wish I had a single-app solution, but the fact is, I find different tools more suited to different tasks.
  • Notepad, for all things simple and spontaneous. Taking notes, outlining, and just dumping content onto the page. I have a hotkey to open a new notepad window, so the time between having a thought and writing it down can be expressed in milliseconds.
  • Notepad++ for coding and organizing complicated projects. (Sometimes I have to shuffle content between 40-50 text logs, so the tabs, dual-pane and clone views are enormously helpful.)
  • Google Docs for serious presentable projects. Happily, it's been able to replace the traditional desktop word processor for most of my work, but for things with complicated formatting, I still occasionally need...
  • OpenOffice, usually for exporting to a PDF. I'm actually planning a pretty big project which will result in a book-length publishing-quality PDF, so if anyone can recommend an OO alternative that doesn't cost money, I'd be most intrigued.