AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Mystery damage, griefing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Mystery damage, griefing?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-29, 16:34

We've had a few really weird incidents over the past six months (!!!) of running the server, but I think this one takes the cake.

Does anyone know who started (even if by accident) or how a fire took out my house here?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-29, 16:48

Also, whatever happened took place in the last day. I pulled a world backup yesterday at 16:19 and the house is still undamaged.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-05-29, 16:57

Nope!
(I'm feeling particularly guilty since I was playing grabass at Burning Ghast last night, killed Robo with a shovel, left dirt in the sky and dug the sand out from under several people). BUT! Fire I did not do.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-29, 17:00

WTF?

I know it wasn't me because I never made it back to Bridgeport. I got lost somewhere over Grey's place and then I gave up. (So many skyways!)

It's creepy to think that there's someone on the server who wants to burn down people's castles and shit (on their birthday, no less!). I thought we were all BFFs.

If anyone touches my brick house, imma cut them.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-29, 17:16

Did one of the Ghasts get loose, maybe?

Did we work out what happened to iJaks farm
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-29, 17:25

Very unlikely it was a ghast. We ended up nuking them all, and ghast "fireballs" only cause explosions with no fire. Plus, there's no sign of explosion damage anywhere nearby.

iJak's farm was damaged by his own hand. He had started ripping it apart to lower it a few blocks.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-29, 17:30

Wasn't me. Could lightning have struck something that then ran into the building? Like a cow or something?
arteggio

2011-05-29, 17:37

That's disappointing.

A couple days ago I was carting by and I thought, "Now what would happen if that were hit by lightning?", considering how the whole structure is wool and wood... (Maybe I used the force without realizing it.) I wasn't on except yesterday afternoon-evening, though, before the burnination. It might actually have been yesterday that I had this thought.

This feels like a culmination of all the odd things, indeed. To the gallows!

Did you consider reverting to the old map (Burnination Déjà Vu edition!), or are you going to leave it as a Relic to Wrongdoings?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-29, 17:44

I'm going to attempt some dark dark magic (voodooier than my typical dark magic) to try to restore just this section of the massive metachunk shortly...
Bonn89

2011-05-29, 20:00

Youch.

On the plus side, it looks pretty cool like that.

On the more important negative side, WTF.

I haven't been on in a while (Mom's place has craptastic satellite internet + 40 hr/week), but if there's been weather near BP recently I'd call lightning strike. I've seen it hit under ledges like those, and the rain couldn't put out the fire because of the ledges.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-05-29, 21:01

It was there when I went by there after you showed me the garden...at least I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it normally when warping down the skyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-30, 00:02

Seriously yo, wtf?

I haven't been on since Friday (i am pretty sure i was too busy on Sat to log on)....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-30, 12:30

I still think it's wise to assume that the cause was an accident first.

I'm saddened that people go straight for "someone must be griefing!"

I'm guessing lightning.

Apparently fire doesn't spread as far in 1.6, so hopefully this kind of wholesale destruction is unlikely.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-05-30, 12:50

Total-newb-never-played Q...

Does MC keep event logs like the ye MUDs of olde did?

If someone (particularly in a MOO system) went nutsoid, you could sort-of roll back events to a good state, and restart from that point.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-05-30, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Total-newb-never-played Q...
Yeah, what's that about? Come play with us already

Oh and the answer to your question is yes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 13:17

Quote:
Total-newb-never-played...
I'm surprised we haven't addressed THIS problem yet, to be entirely honest.

Anyhow, I have a cron job on the server that backs up the world twice a day (0600 and 1800). The world is saved in large sections of 512x512x128 blocks. So, I could restore any of those large areas. The old world format stored the world in much more granular 16x16x128-block chunks. I have a tool that (with some massaging) can convert from the new large chunks to the old small chunks, and that's what I may use to restore the area around my house.

MC keeps only a basic log on the server, but it's more a textual info/warn log. It's not a true event log that can be rolled back or replayed. So, no.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I'm guessing lightning.
That's my guess as well. It just seems a bit odd given that only a small part of the roof is flammable and we've not seen lightning burn down any other large flammable structures (or forests for that matter).

Quote:
Apparently fire doesn't spread as far in 1.6, so hopefully this kind of wholesale destruction is unlikely.
Yep. This is one of several of the advertised bug fixes that I'm looking forward to.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-05-30, 13:45

Sadly, my book takes precedence on other things, like having a life. :} (Every other week I go watch two eps of Doctor Who with some friends on Sunday evening. Four hours of socializing every other week, and that's pretty much it.)

But, it's getting there. In a couple of months I might be able to find time to join you crazy people. I look forward to asking things like "How do I make a canoe?" and "Does the fire hurt my invisible bunnies?"
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-30, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The world is saved in large sections of 512x512x128 blocks.
And to give an idea as to how BIG those chunks are, this is one of them.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-30, 13:58

stop looking up the mob trap's skirt, Brad...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-30, 14:00

Quote:
I still think it's wise to assume that the cause was an accident first.

I'm saddened that people go straight for "someone must be griefing!"
Sorry. I'm probably just in a surly mood.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-30, 14:10

Nice slice through the theatre there!

Wait: Was that area just North of BP always a snow biome?
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-05-30, 14:11

No.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-30, 15:07

So much as I love the giant Heat Man near the Lodge...I think he will need to come down (and be reassembled later in another area for a future project). I just noticed how he looks in that one angled view. :P

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-05-30, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I just noticed how he looks in that one angled view. :P
Img?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-05-30, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
So much as I love the giant Heat Man near the Lodge...I think he will need to come down (and be reassembled later in another area for a future project). I just noticed how he looks in that one angled view. :P
Is he that flamey thing trying to hump the snowglobe?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-05-30, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Img?
Look a few posts up.

Quote:
Is he that flamey thing trying to hump the snowglobe?
Yes. He's one of the Robot Masters from Mega Man 2. I don't really want him right by the lodge, or humping the PaulyDome. I want Heat Man to exist somewhere, but not right there. I was wanting to make a Mega Man stage at some point, so I suppose I could do Heat Man's...Lots of lava, timed jumps, etc. It'd be scary as fuck. That's waaaaaay in the future, though. Like, 2012, and not before March.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-31, 00:18

Anyhow, earlier today I restored my house and took an additional precaution from potential lightning damage, assuming that's what caused this mess. The nearby trees had already been pruned back far enough to prevent fire transmission, and most of the roof was made of nonflammable materials. Now all of the roof is made of nonflammable materials and there's nothing sky-facing that should be ignitable.

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-05-31, 14:09

Ohh... clever. Lightning sets fire to trees and wooden roofs!

Trees grow all round my house....

My roof os wood.... big and wood... No REALLY big and wood!! :-(

Must find time to login later!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-05-31, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Ohh... clever. Lightning sets fire to trees and wooden roofs!
See... that's the thing that makes this particular incident suspicious. In the rain, the fires created by lightning strikes are almost immediately extinguished and cannot spread or even burn up the block they hit. The Zeus-like lightning-shooting mod behaves similarly, extinguishing flames very quickly after they start so nothing burns.

So, virtually all structures are by default safe from lightning fire damage.