User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple Chief Security Officer involved in California concealed carry permit scandal

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Chief Security Officer involved in California concealed carry permit scandal
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-11-24, 01:38

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/tech/...ent/index.html

Anyone else read about this today?

I’m amazed Apple is standing by him and saying they investigated and found no wrong doing.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-24, 10:55

I try to never read anything CNN publishes. It is pretty much a standard for me.

I did see another article written but didn't bother reading it.

If it was actual bribery then it should be hammered. I have little sympathy for that kind of crap. Making a deal is one thing, bribery is a whole different thing and not tolerable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 11:58

I think the big story here is that there are actually four Apple employees who own guns, and want a CCW permit!

Somewhere, Steve is surely rolling.

It’s a JOKE. Everyone just L(ighten)TFU before you even start...

Seems a little shady/weird, and that behavior was changed tells me the involved parties (the two sheriff employees) might know they were skirting the edge of things? I imagine tit-for-tat, under-the-table things like this go on all the time - it’s supremely naive and oblivious to think otherwise, IMO - but that it involves a) Apple and b) guns will likely elevate it to crisis - and prime media-whoring opportunity - levels for many.

I’m sure a Senate hearing is coming at any moment. Seems to have all the ingredients needed (Apple, firearms, corrupt law enforcement/city officials). That’s an absolute wet dream for some elected officials.

But I don’t know enough about firearms, licensing, city government, corporate security/"donations" and all the “gray areas” and what’s allowed/SOP involved. But if a legitimate, honest-to-goodness crime occurred, then any involved, guilty parties deserve whatever happens. Got no problem with that.

If it’s more a case of “this is done all the time, but the involved parties/objects make it a political football/grandstanding opportunity for people to fly their colors and get a little airtime” type of situation, then I honestly couldn’t give less of a shit.

Because I’m going to assume the four Apple employees aren’t paroled gangbangers with criminal records and arrest warrants, and that Apple hasn’t unknowingly facilitated a street war.

If these are security personnel (who else there would require guns on the job?), they can’t be just any random riff-raff/shitheads off the street, right? Don’t folks in those kinds of positions, especially for a high-profile outfit like Apple, have to get checked and vetted up the wazoo for such a gig? Probably former law enforcement and/or military anyway, who have forgotten more about firearms than most of us, combined, would ever know.

If Apple, of all outfits, investigated and found no problems (on their end, anyway), then it’s going to be difficult for me to get spun up over it.

But it seems like the two sheriff office employees might have some things to discuss/answer for. Sounds like they kinda started it all.

"Hey, if you throw some of those iGoodies our way, maybe we won't 'lose' your CCW paperwork..." *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

The article clearly states their views on CCW permits, and their value. That they "managed to extract" a promise from the Apple employee reads a bit loaded, doesn't it? Seems like no iPads were given and I'm thinking those two sheriff's office employees have done this enough that if anyone needs "looking into", it's those two. God knows what they've managed to engineer over the years. It might just be the most nicely-outfitted sheriff's department in the entire country.

"So, wait...you're telling me that every chair in this entire building is a Sharper Image MassageMaster 3000™?"

"Yeah. Cool, huh?"

"Christmas in county lockup, is no fun place to beeee...." (sung to the tune of your favorite holiday carol).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-24 at 12:35.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-11-24, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I try to never read anything CNN publishes. It is pretty much a standard for me.
Completely unrelated to the topic, but I’m curious about this statement. Care to elaborate?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-24, 13:36

Now I'm reading somewhere else that the iPads were donated. I guess I'm misreading the various outlets. I've read three versions of this story, staring with the link above. They've all been slightly different in the details/info. Frustrating.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-24, 13:37

I smell politics.

Don't let it devolve.

Bribery should be punished.

Harshly!

The Apple guys are way up the food chain and have a ton of money spinning around in their pocket. The sheriff's office dudes smelled a little profit from the big fish. Sounds like some heads need to roll, and Apple's head of security is going to go first, methinks. The police-dudes are in for a rough spell going forward, because the sheriff's department cannot have that hanging over their heads at this point in [un]civilization. Cops getting fat whilst the underlings are standing in unemployment lines isn't gonna look too good, and thus the front-page fodder.

Makes for good reading, I guess.

FYI: There's another version at Appleinsider.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-11-24 at 18:25.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-25, 19:36

Unless it was actually the Apple executives that notified the authorities and set up the trap. It doesn’t say that anywhere but I just find it unexplainable otherwise that Apple would not reprimand them, especially the chief security officer
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-25, 20:29

That's the weird thing I keep going back to. Not sure how they cleared him because it seems like he played along, but none of the articles I've read makes everything crystal clear. Seems the Apple guy should be in some sort of trouble, just for entertaining the idea? But, again, the specifics differ on the three articles I've read. I don't know if we're hearing the full, complete story from all angles.

The whole story is just...odd, all around.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-25 at 20:48.
Anonymous Coward

2020-11-26, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Completely unrelated to the topic, but I’m curious about this statement. Care to elaborate?
I have one point of reference, only anecdotal, since I don't remember the specifics. I remember comparing news stories on the same event between CNN and FOX. Both were based on reporting by the Associated Press. In the CNN article, the AP report selectively excluded paragraphs which didn't support their interpretation. The other, more unlikely reading is that FOX chose to fabricate and include paragraphs to the AP report.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-11-30, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
To avoid being too political it comes down to CNN has an agenda and it is no longer to deliver the facts of the news. This is true of just about all major media now. I'm not even a fan of Fox to be honest. I cringe at blogs who claim to be the news too. In the end I get details from multiple sources and try to find the truth in it. I'm not interested in "newsrooms" that are after ratings instead of sharing the news. So CNN, ABC, CBS, Fox and the likes all get almost completely ignored because they all take somethings from AP and twist to their agenda.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-11-30, 20:05

Quote:
To avoid being too political it comes down to CNN has an agenda and it is no longer to deliver the facts of the news. This is true of just about all major media now. I'm not even a fan of Fox to be honest. I cringe at blogs who claim to be the news too. In the end I get details from multiple sources and try to find the truth in it. I'm not interested in "newsrooms" that are after ratings instead of sharing the news. So CNN, ABC, CBS, Fox and the likes all get almost completely ignored because they all take somethings from AP and twist to their agenda.
"not even a fan of Fox to be honest." says everything.

You want your own "facts" and don't like to read/listen to those you don't agree with. Got it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-30, 23:29

This thread is about some dudes who took/gave bribes. It is now morphing into divisive political crap. So, the B.S. stops now or the posts all get deleted.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-01, 09:46

Off-topic (click to toggle):
BU, to be clear, I don't think anyone on this forum thinks I'm liberal in pretty much any way. I'm one of the few vocal conservatives and even then I respect the views of others even if I think they are wrong, you should take notes on that and stop attacking other users who happen to disagree with you. Or don't take notes but stop attacking, I'm good either way.

What I'm still trying to figure out on these articles is why would there be bribery needed to get CCW permits? I mean, is the process in the valley that rough that you need to bribe to get it? On the East Coast it is pretty much go fill out some paperwork that includes criminal history (if any) and many require you to have taken some weapons handling class and provide proof of that. If CA that far off or those trying to get the permits not qualified to get them for one reason or another?

I mean, where I've lived most of my life it is just a simple paperwork thing if you have no criminal history or mental health problem. Bribing to get a permit is so alien to me. From my perspective it would seem more like extortion from the Sheriff's office to withhold the permits from those who qualify for them.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-01, 10:25

That's why I can't get my head fully around this story. But, then again, I'm from/in the South, where guns come in cereal and Cracker Jack boxes and four-year-olds walk around Walmart with thigh holsters, so I imagine the process here isn't like that of the Golden State.

But, being serious, we've had bribery scandals locally over the years, but they usually seem to center around land/real estate/zoning type of issues. Nobody in Tennessee has to bribe anyone for anything gun-related. You're basically handed a CCW permit and a box of ammunition as you slide out of the womb.

But in a place like California, who the hell knows what hoops one is expected to jump through on controversial, contentious issues like firearms, tobacco usage, bong water displacement, etc. If inanimate hardware is often seen by many as the end-all/be-all of Evil™, and the sole cause of wrongdoing and misdeeds, it stands to reason that a subset of separate wrongdoing and misdeeds may be necessary to legally acquire such hardware.

Or something.

I'd just like to know what other outfits those two guys shook down or got cool stuff from over the years. There's no telling what kind of racket they managed to run! I can picture quite a bit of scrambling/track-covering by these two in recent weeks/months. It would be interesting to peek into any storage facilities rented by either of these guys.

"How did they fit an F-18 Hornet in here?!"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-01, 10:32

Yeah, I should say I'm in the South on the East Coast. Maybe we need someone who can explain why bribery was needed I'd feel less confused about why this is even a thing.

I did wonder that too. How much cool stuff they they extort out of their scheme. Clearly Apple isn't the first to have to deal with this activity.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-01, 10:39

Of course not. They're longtime employees, from what I read. They've probably acquired all kinds of goodies from all kinds of companies to help "grease the wheels" on various things (permits, licenses, waivers, etc.). A guy here got busted a few years ago just on some zoning/paperwork malfeasance, so it does happen. Power, money, politics, government office/departments, access, favors, abused budgets, lack of oversight, shady deal-making, cronyism, etc. all make for a potent stew of "uh-oh".

I think they're gonna wind up in a bit of trouble. But if they, in turn, have also paid off/"shown generosity" to the right people above them, that's no guarantee either, is it?

There's no telling how deep such a thing might run. These two guys just might be two, low-on-the-totem-pole flunkies who got caught. Here's the test: if either/both wind up dead (or attempted to be made dead) soon, then that'll probably answer a few questions too. If people above them, in higher, more powerful positions, are at risk of getting in trouble...well, I think we've all seen enough Martin Scorsese movies to know things might not look good for these two, if they're the reason things may start to crumble.

Tip: three bullet holes in one's head typically isn't a suicide, and a Lexus isn't known for exploding like a Ford Pinto.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-01, 10:49

Ok, I can request my concealed weapons permit online now. (Given I moved, my Va permit is no longer valid so I need a new one.) That is just amazing to me. Almost as close to being handed it and a box of rounds out of the womb. I mean, I still have to get fingerprinted in person and all, but the fact that I can start the process online really should help set the perspective for those West Coast people to understand why pscates and I are not understanding the bribery thing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-01, 11:10

It's a cultural thing, I guess. And the laws/politics in one location vs. another. I remember, in the decade I lived there, how quite a few things I took for granted growing up just seemed to be more of a hassle, red-tape, process, etc. I realize it's much larger, with way more people, but sometimes things just seemed needlessly convoluted/cumbersome (and expensive) to do. And I could never seem to get a straight answer why (DMV visits, emissions testing, etc.).

Different worlds.

Good thing they had In-N-Out, or I would've likely bolted much sooner.

A hip, lifelong Californian would move here and be bored to tears, I'm sure. And the deep-fried sushi and non-free-range grits would surely offend them to the core.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-01, 13:07

I'm in Idaho.

What's a CCW, again? And why do you need one?

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-12-03, 03:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
This thread is about some dudes who took/gave bribes. It is now morphing into divisive political crap. So, the B.S. stops now or the posts all get deleted.
There’s like 5 of us who exist anymore. Who cares
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-12-03, 03:27

Quote:
BU, to be clear, I don't think anyone on this forum thinks I'm liberal in pretty much any way. I'm one of the few vocal conservatives and even then I respect the views of others even if I think they are wrong, you should take notes on that and stop attacking other users who happen to disagree with you. Or don't take notes but stop attacking, I'm good either way.

What I'm still trying to figure out on these articles is why would there be bribery needed to get CCW permits? I mean, is the process in the valley that rough that you need to bribe to get it? On the East Coast it is pretty much go fill out some paperwork that includes criminal history (if any) and many require you to have taken some weapons handling class and provide proof of that. If CA that far off or those trying to get the permits not qualified to get them for one reason or another?

I mean, where I've lived most of my life it is just a simple paperwork thing if you have no criminal history or mental health problem. Bribing to get a permit is so alien to me. From my perspective it would seem more like extortion from the Sheriff's office to withhold the permits from those who qualify for them.
1. You aren’t disagreeing. You are dismissing and denying facts. It’s a problem. And a plague affecting half the country right now. But you’re right. That’s a whole other discussion.

2. “On the east coast”.... no. South Carolina is not the east coast. Your anecdote is inaccurate for literally every where north of yourself.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-03, 06:18

LOL I'm not delving into anything other than the location of South Carolina... its eastern border is the Atlantic Ocean. How is that not on the East Coast?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-03, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
1. You aren’t disagreeing. You are dismissing and denying facts. It’s a problem. And a plague affecting half the country right now. But you’re right. That’s a whole other discussion.

2. “On the east coast”.... no. South Carolina is not the east coast. Your anecdote is inaccurate for literally every where north of yourself.
1) I'm not dismissing, I'm actually pointing out that major media does just that for their own agenda and therefore can't be trusted. They rely on facts directly related to what they want pushed, not all the facts and let us be intelligent citizens.
2) Let me google that for you.

Dude, seriously get the chip off of your shoulder. You pull your pants down to crap like the rest of us. If you don't then that is a whole other topic I'm not getting into.

Last edited by turtle : 2020-12-03 at 11:10. Reason: Quoted for posterity's sake.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-03, 10:49

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-03, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
There’s like 5 of us who exist anymore. Who cares
I care, which is why this thread is now done.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-01-11 at 15:30.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-11, 15:29

I have no idea where this story has gone since … earlier, but I've decided to reopen it to see if there is anyone with an update.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-11, 16:41

Did you ask today specifically because of this? "Sung, Jensen, Moyer and Chadha will be arraigned Jan. 11 at the San Jose Hall of Justice."
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-11, 17:26

No, I was just curious if anything had changed. I've not searched for anything, but wanted to reopen the conversation.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 17:27

I'm still interested to see where this goes. I've not seen anything lately on it either though. I'm sure more will pop up shortly though if there were recent arraignments.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-02, 08:01

Case dismissed. No corrupt intent proven.
Quote:
But the grand jury hearing the case "could not have reasonably concluded that Moyer had a corrupt intent" because Moyer didn't act "wrongfully to gain an advantage," California Superior Court Judge Eric S. Geffon said in an order Tuesday.

"The fact that the iPads were being offered to the Sheriff's Office, not to any individual, is further evidence Moyer lacked a corrupt intent," Geffon wrote in his decision.
Guess he wasn't the scum of the earth after all.