User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac 2021
Page 3 of 11 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-22, 16:12

I wonder if that can be hacked.

The keyboards do work, just Touch ID does not. But, you can extend authentication using PAMs (pluggable authentication modules), and if someone can figure out how to talk to Touch ID…
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-22, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
They put the headphone jack on the left side (hooray!) but then didn't put one USB-C on the right? Huh?
I think they would've preferred to put the headphone jack on the back but couldn't, because the iMac literally isn't deep enough.

I also think they're wrong about that preference. There should be, like, a headphone jack, a USB-C port, and maybe an SD card slot on the side.

I'm sure someone will make a hub in the iMac style in no time, though.

Quote:
I hope the larger model adds more RAM, the SD card slot (on the side), 10-Gig Ethernet port and standardizes on TB/USB 4.
I don't like two sets of USB ports. Let's go all-in.
I'm optimistic most of that will happen. More RAM? Definitely. They can't go from 128 GiB to just 16 and say "welp, that's the new max for our main desktop!". This is clearly an M1 limitation. Same for TB; I don't think they ever wanted this weird mix; they prefer it how they have it on the 16-inch MBP: four ports, all TB, period. 10GigE was an option in the past, and I see no reason they would remove that. SD, who knows.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
They can be paired to any M1 Mac, but not to any Intel models, regardless of the presence of a T2 chip.

And good luck getting hold of one.

That's what we know for now.
What about M1 iPad Pro?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 11:29

Apparently no.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-23, 23:17

Does anyone know if/how you can use the new 24" iMac with a second monitor?

Like if you want to have a dual-monitor setup for Zoom?

Edit: Never mind. Saw it in the specs [1 external display via USB-C]

Last edited by Frank777 : 2021-04-24 at 00:26.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-24, 16:50

That's exactly how I plan on using it.

I'm going to replace my 21" iMac with the new one and pair it with my Thunderbolt Display.

Was really hoping that Apple would release a display, but I'll make a new iMac as well.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 09:59

Has anyone come across any "real life" photos of this new iMac (from an online review or whatever)? I'm looking forward to seeing some because they often convey things those "perfect" pics on Apple's site don't. I've hit several Apple/Mac news and rumors sites with no success, so I'm thinking Apple must not have sent any out to journalists/bloggers beforehand. Now that the cat is out of the bag, maybe they are now, prior to wide release.

They sent Gruber a purple iPhone 12, but I've not heard him mention anything about a 24" iMac.

I wonder if the green and purple iMacs (the lighter, pastel portions) match the green (and now purple) on the iPhone 12 models? I guess that won't be confirmed until these things hit the real world in a few weeks.
chucker

2021-04-26, 10:17

I'm guessing those aren't a thing yet. Pre-order this coming Friday, shipping "second half of May", so those review embargoes probably haven't even started yet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 11:51

I've mentioned this before on a couple of occasions but I always find it interesting (and impressive) how Apple can film those little introductory/lifestyle videos to accompany new products, as though they've been out in the world and used by people far before their actual unveiling/release...and they manage to stay secret/unleaked.

Watch that 24" iMac video, again, and note all those different people, including kids/teens, all using this new colorful 24" iMac. I assume this was filmed at least a week or more before the event took place last Tuesday. It's just neat how everyone keeps their mouth shut and nothing leaks/leaked.

I realize there are NDAs and all that, but since when does that stop people? Things get leaked all the time, but these little promo videos with new hardware (Macs, iPhones, etc.) get filmed quite often and, to my knowledge, not one of them has been the basis for any leaks/spoilers/cat-out-of-the-bag moments.

Time magazine (or was it Newsweek?), ATi, careless website employees (premature specification) and others have certainly botched unveilings and ruined surprises over the past couple of decades, but never Apple themselves via one of these filmed promo videos. Just hard to believe footage, or even a screenshot or three, never seems to leak out prior to the the event.

Makes me wonder if the people in these videos are Apple employees (and their kids)? As opposed to outside models/actors? And same for the crew as well? Or do professional filmmaker types just don't care about such things; it's just another job to them and they do this sort of thing with cars and other products too and it just doesn't really matter to, or phase, them after doing so many of these things over the years?

"It's just another job, pal...I didn't give a shit about the new Audi we filmed a few months ago either."

Somewhere, within the past 2-6 weeks, on a sound stage in California(?), all these colorful iMacs were being filmed with people using them. Nothing ever leaked. Not even a coy hint on Twitter by some low-level crew member. They must really make it known "if you talk, you die".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-26 at 12:12.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-26, 12:15

All of the people who I know who have worked on Apple commercials can't even tell me about having done so due to NDAs.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 12:29

They must have some real serious penalties for breaking that (legal, etc.). Because, yeah...it's amazing that a video featuring all new, redesigned, colorful 24" iMacs stayed completely under the radar until last Tuesday.

Even more impressive is that the kids/teens seem to keep their mouths shut too. Because when do they ever do so?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-26, 12:31

They are employee relatives. Death threats have been made. Sector blacklisting is real.

I wouldn't be shocked if in todays age the actors were looking at cardboard and they CGI'ed in the real looking product after the fact.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 13:05

I didn't consider that. I suppose anything is possible. If so, that's some pretty good, convincing work.

I've always heard that the PR/beauty shots on Apple's site are renders. They're always so perfect, pristine and "attractive from any angle" that I just assumed it must be true (which is why I look forward to the real life pics coming in a few weeks).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-26, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if in todays age the actors were looking at cardboard and they CGI'ed in the real looking product after the fact.
This was my first thought when this was brought up. It’s likely all studio green screen work, with stand in props taken out in post.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 14:20

I can see that being the case now, when things are so advanced and CGI is so good/clean. What about 15-20 years ago? At some point, there were a boatload of people using little white plastic iBooks well before they were known to the world. I doubt the capabilities of 2001-ish weren't up for for any digital replacement. They probably just told those kids the bare minimum and didn't play anything up to make them want to say anything. Plus, Apple wasn't the same 20 years ago like they are now.

20 years ago, most people not on sites like this couldn't have given less of a shit about the company and anything it did. I suppose that factored in some.

I'd love to hear the full scoop on this, how they go about those videos. Stand-in props CGI'd out in post, or do they just really have strong NDAs and do a solid job of vetting the crew and actors involved, choosing people they consider trustworthy and able to keep their mouths shut? Maybe a bit of both, who knows.

Because you couldn't hire just anyone for such a gig. Over-sharing is a thing, more than ever before. People will - and do - share anything and everything online, anonymously or otherwise.

I watched that video again. If those colored iMacs actually aren't in those scenes as they were filmed, that's pretty damn impressive work. Because it never occurred to me, until about 90 minutes or so ago, that they weren't.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-26, 15:33

I have to think there for a while it was strong NDAs that were adhered to. I like to think there are people who can be trusted in the world and those are the ones Apple would use for the ads. I'm sure there has always been some level of post-production stuff too though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-04-26, 16:01

I also think Apple's secrecy works better than one might assume. Yes, we get a lot of leaks, but those are typically from the supply chain: by and large, they're hardware leaks happening in East Asia, not software/product strategy/etc. leaks happening inside Apple. So you often end up with a rumor of "Apple plans to add hardware feature X", lacking the story of "OK, but why? How will we use it? What will it cost?"

Features that happen almost entirely in software are typically not rumored; see e.g. Center Stage. Nobody had "Apple will add machine learning-enhanced automatic pan+zoom to FaceTime on iPad Pro" on their bingo card.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 17:04

Of course. Everything Apple can keep/control there in Cupertino - software, services, OS-related tidbits - will be more secret. The leaks are almost always from their hardware partners (iPhone frames, chassis, monitor sizes/specs, some new iPad size, camera placement, etc.).

Other than executing a bunch of suppliers and factory workers in Asia (and perhaps a few American and UK journalists and bloggers) on a fairly ongoing basis, I don’t know how that gets stopped/addressed.

For the record, I don’t think it needs to come to that, of course. Just want to make that clear.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-26, 17:47

I really do hope they drop the embargo before pre-orders open up on Friday.

I'd love to be able to see what these look like in real life situations prior to ordering one. I've got my eye on the orange one, but need to see it outside of Apple's perfect imagery.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 18:37

I think they drop the review embargoes a day or two before they go on sale. At least that seems to be the way it's happened in the past. We may see reviews/write-ups come Wednesday or Thursday. The only thing that might prevent that is that these things aren't shipping until mid-May (vs. right away, come Friday).

So maybe the embargoes actually lift a day or two before shipping? Maybe that's what I'm remembering.

But, yes...I'd love to see some nice real-life pics/video too.

kieran, if you get an orange one, please post pics here. Or PM me for my email and send them to me directly. That and the green one are the two colors I'm most curious about (I already have a fairly good idea what silver looks like).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-27, 08:16

[quote=pscates2.0;814571kieran, if you get an orange one, please post pics here. Or PM me for my email and send them to me directly. That and the green one are the two colors I'm most curious about (I already have a fairly good idea what silver looks like). [/QUOTE]

Absolutely will do.

I really want one, and the colors are the main reason to drive me to want want. It's entirely ridiculous, but that's realistic. The iMac I have is fine. It's just basically doing basic stuff like email, spreadsheets, etc.. and is my home media server.

But......I really want an orange one.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-27, 10:49

It does look nice. I still don't think I'd ever get one (and if I did, I believe my choice, in order, would be: silver, green, orange), but those new iMacs look 10x nicer than I ever imagined they would. Can't wait to start seeing new pics, demo units in stores, etc.

Speaking of which (I'm nowhere near an Apple Store so I don't know how quickly/often they go about this), when do you think they'll switch over to those being their in-store display/demo units? Because that will require a lot of new 24" iMacs, all over the U.S. and around the world (there are so many Apple Stores). But I assume they know this and probably manufacture a big batch on the front end, especially for that?

Because what if every store is to have every color available?! That quickly gets into a boatload of machines! When they were all just silver, who cares? No big deal. But now?!?**

But that's exactly what they did back in the jellybean iMac days. I think the fruit phase was over by the time the Apple Stores came to be, but I seem to recall seeing the Ruby, Sage, Indigo, Snow, Graphite and the two pattern models in Apple Stores way back in those early days (I know for a fact I saw the two patterns, along with Indigo, Snow and Graphite). They'd have them all sitting out on tables and on that short little table in the kids area, so I wonder if they're looking to have all seven (including silver) placed into every store?

This is where that inventory/shipping/stocking thing I talked about upthread will start to come into play. Holy smokes, they went and created quite a logistical torture chamber for themselves.

BTW, don't forget to toss in the trackpad, mice and keyboards in matching colors too. They couldn't even leave those silver!

**Quick math: it seems there are 511 Apple Stores worldwide x 7 different iMac colors...that's 3,577 iMacs needed just to outfit every Apple Store in existence with the full range of new iMac colors for display. And that's just assuming one each is enough. And that's also not counting their partners like Best Buy and others. Even here in small, out-of-the-way Chattanooga, our big Best Buy store out near the mall has a really nice little dedicated Apple section, with all the latest Macs on display, at least one of each; I know these won't get all the colors, but they'll surely get 1-2 for display (silver and maybe some random color, with little 1" two-toned anodized samples affixed to the table to show off the others? So toss that into the mix as well. And then we also have a Simply Mac (formerly Mac Authority) store at the mall, with a boatload of display units (at least 6-8 iMacs, from my last visit). And didn't that story come out a while back about how Target is also going to be carrying Macs as well?

I could see them just putting a few random colors into every store, and then some sort of swatch/sample display to convey the others? But that just doesn't sound Apple-y at all to me. They'll want all seven, in fully bloom/display, in each of their retail stores, I'm betting. The third-party partners will get whatever they get, and like it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-27 at 11:17.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-28, 19:08

I'm seeing a lot of criticism that the white bezels are a lot more distracting than the black ones. Even from MacWorld.

As chucker mentioned, the ports issue will soon be resolved by a matching third-party dock/hub.

I'm thinking black bezel stickers will become a popular third-party item as well.
¡Damned!

2021-04-28, 19:27

Yep. dbrand already has them up for order (plus some ridiculously expensive full-body wrap).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 19:33

Quote:
I'm thinking black bezel stickers will become a popular third-party item as well.
Ooh, I didn't think about that. Not ideal, but might look a little better.

It's always funny/interesting to see what third-party outfits come up with in response to new Apple stuff. Especially back in the iFruit days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Yep. dbrand already has them up for order (plus some ridiculously expensive full-body wrap).
That black bezel on the silver makes it look like a nice, updated 21.5" model. That's not a bad look at all, actually. I think it looks horrible on all the colors, though. But if I ever got a silver 24" iMac, I think that black bezel would be a purchase, weird as that sounds. A shame Apple doesn't offer that choice, but the last thing they need is more variations on these things. Add in black or white bezel and you're just doubled all the possible options/configurations.

Not sure who that $499 full body wrap is for. That's a little weird.

Isn't it weird, after so many years, how Apple finally got all their iPhones over to black bezels/screen framing...and now they just did the new iMac with a white one. I wasn't expecting that move at all. And if they do that on the upcoming 14/16" MacBook Pros, people are gonna lose their minds! Surely they wouldn't...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-28 at 19:47.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-29, 11:26

One thing I will not do, and that is to take the word of a magazine review. I want to see it in person, and then I'll decide for myself. I can't wait for the loads of people that pre-order bezel-wraps, only to throw them away when their shiny new iMac shows up and looks awesome the way it was designed.

I'm not saying it looks awesome as if I've seen one, but I'll let you know on the 21st of May.

Edit: Anyone remember the iMac G4 and the iMac G5? Oh, and the original Intel iMac? I seem to remember that every single one of those was wrapped in white. We loved those white bezels, but we got used to a black bezel, and now that it's white, again, whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-29, 11:37

The bezel thing is always an odd one, I don’t really notice them. It looks better when turned off without one, I guess? I have one of those no bezel edged LG displays, and it’s nice but a pain to move. Why? You cannot hold the sides of the display or you can break the panel (matte display, so no glossy glass cover). With no bezel there is nothing to grab onto! You can only pick it up from the bottom, which has a tiny sliver to hold, and the back. Needless to say getting it on to a dual arm VESA mount was a challenge.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 11:57

I don’t have a preference on white or black bezel. Only that it’s funny they finally got t iPhones to match and boom…the iMac returns to white after 13+ years.

Nobody’s whining. I don’t give a shit, because I owned both the iMac G4 (white) and an aluminum 20” iMac (black), and loved both. And, since October 2012, a white bezeled iPhone (which no longer exist).

I do think the white stands out/pops more. Not a bad, or good, thing. Just a not-up-for-debate fact. You can’t miss it, hanging there in the air (especially if the display is off). A big white marquee. But a black one wouldn’t look right with those colors, IMO (the same reason the iPhone 5c wasn’t as attractive/vibrant as they could’ve been; those wouldn’t looked so much nicer with a white face frame with those ice cream colors. On these new 24” iMacs, I think only the silver one works with the black bezel. Those six two-tone colors pair much nicer with the white bezel, IMO.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-04-29, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Wow, that was fast. The machines aren't even out yet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-29, 18:56

Mucho $$$ to be had to be on-the-ball peripheral/accessory makers, with their ear to the ground and a clever(?) idea.