Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Need a Dining Room Table TV

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need a Dining Room Table TV
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-19, 23:41

Lightning storm blew through tonight and hit SUPER close to the house DURING the Avengers kicking Ultron's ass. I got the ladder and went up to sniff in the attic. In the dining room there was the smell of burned electronics, but I couldn't source it immediately.

Soon it became apparent that our cable gateway was not acquiring a broadband connection, so I spent nearly an hour with India confirming that a technician needed to come out to check out the line.

After that it became apparent that no power was coming from the outlet in the dining room, so I nipped down to the junction box to flip the breaker.

With the power back on, I fished out my handy dandy digital antenna and hooked it up to the television. Then I reached for the remote.

Nothing.

I tried different outlets, but no dice.

Unless there's a fuse I don't know about, this little 720p Sony doodlebox is DEAD.

So now I'm ready for a new SMALL television to replace it. Going to go shopping now, but am curious to know if anyone here is steeped in current televion lore.

I have an inexpensive Vizio in another room. It's pretty decent, and they update the built-in apps frequently, but I don't really love the interface.

I suspect it will be more expensive and less feature packed than Samsungs and such, but I'm tempted to get another Sony.

Let's see what happens...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-20, 07:24

from the manual...

Completely Dead Set

A complete power supply failure is generally the result of severe transients in the AC line such as those incurred during an electrical storm. The EX308 model line utilizes a red standby LED located on the lower left front bezel that is lit whenever the unit is receiving AC power and is turned off. The KDL32EX308 model incorporates an "eco" switch located on the lower right side which removes all AC power from the unit and produces the same symptom of a unit that has been unplugged or lost its AC power. This switch should be checked first whenever the standby LED is not lighting. This switch is not available on the KDL22EX308.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-20, 08:01

I think the biggest questions about your new TV is what price are you looking to spend, what size and what resolution?

Is 27" bigger than you're thinking? Are you using it as a monitor (AppleTV, Roku or cable box feeding it) or do you need it to be "smart" and have apps installed?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-20, 08:03

$130 is pretty cheap and the same 32" as your Sony was.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-20, 08:49

Ah, mine's a 24 inch, but same idea, and cheaper. Still: my Sony has a numeric keypad for changing channels. The Insignia is falling down the well of internet dependence. My current (but dead) television had an internal tuner and you could punch in the channel you want if the internet is down and you're stuck going (slightly) analog. The new button-reduced remotes want you to use voice control, which requires a connection (which is not possible, thanks to the lightning strike).

Gah, this is whacky.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-20, 08:51

So you needing with a digital OTA tuner build in too...

I'll see what I can find while I'm bored, but you're right that most want you to use voice or the remote instead of buttons on the TV itself.

Edit: you know, this would be easier if you would just let everyone else tell you what you want.

I looked around for a bit (distraction for work right now, thank you) and NewEgg isn't going to be helpful to you. Does it need buttons on the TV for changing the channel or will a remote with a keypad work? I've seen those. Thing is, they are more expensive than the 32" I linked to earlier. Is 27" too big?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-20, 10:34

28" is probably the largest I can use.

I briefly fell in love with the Samsung Frame, but it's just too big for the table and to use it on the wall we would have to hang it low enough to not cause neck strain while seated at the table, which might look crazy on the wall unless I redid that wall with a lot of photos. It would be cool, but I have too many other projects on my head right now. So I'll probably get a 24" Vizio and just be done with it.

Edit: yes, I want a built-in OTA tuner

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-20, 10:36

Oh, I'm loving the Frame too. I want one for my living room where I don't want the TV to be the focus and yet my family uses that TV all the time there. Having it "blend in" when the TV isn't on would be just awesome... at least in concept.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-26, 15:51

So what did you pick?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-26, 16:06

LOL well I just grabbed a little 24" Vizio D-series.

Link:
https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/d-series