AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The instrument of my death

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The instrument of my death
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-06-13, 21:03

Well, I think the purpose of the ad is to make it clear how easy it is to miss a bike even when you think you've looked. It's a very hard-hitting ad when you see it on a TV screen as opposed to that postage stamp-sized video. First time I saw it I fairly jumped. I think it's great that drivers are being educated to take extra care to avoid pulling out in front of bikers. It's a huge problem for me as a cyclist in the UK, where people expect bicycles to be non-existent or slow (when in fact I can be hurtling along at 40 km/h: I've actually made eye contact with drivers who've nevertheless proceeded to pull into my path, bizarrely thinking they had time), and it was almost as bad a problem when I had a motorbike. I was/am always most nervous when riding along at a fair clip and relying on a driver of unknown aptitude to wait for me to pass before pulling out.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-13, 21:07

Ok... I'll revise my statement to say that I take issue with how this ad is presented when so done as a quite small image on my monitor (frankly, looking at it on my screen, even in the "last" version of the ad, the bike is hardly detectable - one of the problems of small-physical-area-but-high-resolution screens, I'll wager).
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-13, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
You haven't er, 'lived' until you've had an SUV decide that your rear tire is a bumper... and that they want you to go faster.

I ended up doing 90 down the interstate to get away from the fucker... and he was chasing.
Seriously? Gosh, I'd say shooting at him would be self defense.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-06-13, 22:08

duuuuuude, we want videos of you riding that thing!!!!!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-13, 23:49

SUV owners who drive on road for more than 75% of time should be taxed.

and pounded in their ass.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-13, 23:54

Well boys, I survived Day 1. Of course I forgot my camera at work, so I can't post any pics yet. It is a thing of beauty, though.

I can't get over the freaking power this thing has, and that's with 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, and keeping it under 7000 RPMs until the engine is broken in.

On my way home from the dealer I turned left at a 3 way stop, then climbed a small hill that's not too long at all... thought I'd wind it up a little. Into second, lazily up to 6000 RPM, into third, on the gas a little, glance down and I'm doing 130 km/h (in a 50 zone). I thought I was going about 80. Jesus.

The hardest thing about this is going to be keeping it to the speed limit. Hell, it's tough to keep it to 10 over the limit. It laughs at me when I try to ride it 60 km/h. The power difference between this GSX-R750 and my brand new '99 Katana 750 is unbelievable. I knew from specs it would be, but experiencing it is another thing all together.

I'm actually a little scared of the fucking thing, but that's probably going to keep me alive. I think it's good to have a little fear of these bastards. Though I'm sure I'll be fine once the rust of a 5 year bike absence wears off, hopefully right around the time I'm done breaking it in. heh heh

God DAMN I love this bike.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-14, 00:06

I can't stop finding this shit!

Watch out for that wall!!!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
God DAMN I love this bike.

WOOT! Sounds sweet.

Yeah, one day I wasn't watching what I was doing on the Duc and was skipping down the interstate at about 85mph.

In second gear.

And it wasn't redlined... or even over the breakin RPMs.

I had four more gears.

That was the day I decided that I was in way over my head... and I loved it.

Fear keeps you alive, man!
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-06-14, 03:36

Quote:
I can't stop finding this shit!

Watch out for that wall!!!
Just fueling your fear

That is one sweet ride though, can't help wanting one. However, I have come to the decision that I'd better stick to a chopper when I do get one - just doesn't scream speeding quite as much.

You just *know* you have to test the thing at some point, and if it tops out at 280 km/t, then I guess all the protective gear in the world won't make a difference - problem is I think I would wanna try it (although I'd probably chicken out before).

So a cool chopper for me (with a smallish engine, so I don't kill myself)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-06-14, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
You just *know* you have to test the thing at some point, and if it tops out at 280 km/t
I don't know what this "km/t" thing means, but here in america we measure speed in "football fields per hour" (or at least you'd think so given how the discovery channel says that everything is x football fields long).

geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-06-14, 05:35

Ok then, 3062 football fields an hour or 51 a minute
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 07:06

I've been thinking of getting a scooter for to and from work. It's an easy commute to either office with it, and great on gas. But damn, for the price of a GTS250, you can nearly buy one of the beautiful new triumph twins...

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-14, 07:46

I swear every single person who has seen the bike asks this question first:

"HOW did you get your wife to let you BUY this thing?!"

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-06-14, 07:47

Next question: can we swap so I can buy one?
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-14, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
If it's not more bike than you need, you're not trying hard enough.

Oh and murbot... I called ahead and ordered the custom pink paint job you wanted. It'll be ready for you to slap that Hello Kitty sticker on it.
Just got it finished. I think it turned out great.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-06-14, 09:06

Murbot, good to see you living up to Alfie's philosophy-

"Men shouldn't be afraid of pink."
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-06-14, 09:12

Quote:

Well at least you have a better chance of staying alive. Cause their is no way you are going to be seen riding in daylight!
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-14, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
Well at least you have a better chance of staying alive. Cause their is no way you are going to be seen riding in daylight!
Is riding at night safer? Sure, less drivers overall, but also less visibility, a higher proportion of intoxicated drivers...

Not being a biker, I'm curious - what do you who are feel is safer, day or night riding?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-14, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Well, that's Canadian dollars. And probably has a clause to medivac his ass to the US for any serious health care needs.

heh
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 09:59

Quote:

Says Mike Oxlong.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-14, 10:05

Quote:

Wow, Pepto Bismol on wheels!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-14, 10:06

Quote:

Um... yeah.

I have envisioned *highly* interesting scenarios wrt that issue.

P.S. - I'm SO happy for you, murbeau. I know this bike is a dream come true.

And because of that, I guess I'll refrain from talking about my brother's accident from last August here on the public boards (as opposed to in the mod forum ).

I don't want to diminish your joy and delight.

I'll just say *never* let your mind wander, *never* be distracted by some hawt babe walking down the street ( ), and never, EVER trust any other motorized vehicle that's within 'five football fields' in any direction.

Last edited by Windswept : 2006-06-14 at 10:16.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 11:19

All GSXR bow before the power of the GTS, muhahahha!!!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Is riding at night safer? Sure, less drivers overall, but also less visibility, a higher proportion of intoxicated drivers...

Not being a biker, I'm curious - what do you who are feel is safer, day or night riding?
From other drivers? Night. The headlight is much more visible than the entire bike and rider during the day.

From everything else? Day.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-06-14, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
P.S. - I'm SO happy for you, murbeau. I know this bike is a dream come true.
Thanks! This is pretty much 5 years of putting a few bucks away, dreaming, and waiting. I still can't believe I actually own the damn thing. Pretty cool.

Quote:
I'll just say *never* let your mind wander, *never* be distracted by some hawt babe walking down the street ( ), and never, EVER trust any other motorized vehicle that's within 'five football fields' in any direction.
I actually got majorly cut off by a bus on my way to work. The road is about a kilometer long, straight, with easy sight all the way down. This bitch pulled out in front of me when I was about 200 feet away, and of course the thing goes 0-10 in 20 seconds, so I would've put the bike right under her front seat if I'd maintained my speed. I got to try out the horn though, and gave my first head shake and middle finger salute on the new bike. It's like a christening.

I also just managed to grab a few quick shots of the beast.

I'm not sure if this is a Suzuki logo or a Superman logo, because that's what you feel like on it. heh

Oh how I wish they had vanity plates for bikes. *sigh*

Oh, and while I was taking these I saw a cute little bunny. I took this picture for you, Carol.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 11:31

That is truly a thing of beauty. Sweet looking bike, it's really awesome. You're totally making me jealous.

You really shouldn't be online or at work or hanging out with your wife and kids, you should be riding that thing, it's much too awesome to just sit there.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-06-14, 11:32

Sweeeeeet.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-06-14, 11:48

BEER

haha
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-06-14, 11:52

Damn, that's nice.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-06-14, 12:32

Quote:
Thanks! This is pretty much 5 years of putting a few bucks away, dreaming, and waiting. I still can't believe I actually own the damn thing. Pretty cool.
Heh. I can see your grinning face from here.

Quote:
I actually got majorly cut off by a bus on my way to work. The road is about a kilometer long, straight, with easy sight all the way down. This bitch pulled out in front of me when I was about 200 feet away, and of course the thing goes 0-10 in 20 seconds, so I would've put the bike right under her front seat if I'd maintained my speed. I got to try out the horn though, and gave my first head shake and middle finger salute on the new bike. It's like a christening.
Yikes, and it was a woman driver, huh? Sorry about that.

Quote:
I also just managed to grab a few quick shots of the beast.

It's truly a *gorgeous* machine.

Quote:
Wow, I love those wonderful flowers too! Great colors!

Quote:
Oh how I wish they had vanity plates for bikes. *sigh*
Yeah, but if the cops saw a 'beer' plate driving around town, they'd just write the tickets up in advance and fill in the date each time they pulled you over. haha (just kidding)

Quote:
Oh, and while I was taking these I saw a cute little bunny. I took this picture for you, Carol.

Awwww... what a *precious* little sweetie!

Thank you for taking that pic, murbeau. I honestly do appreciate it a lot!