User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 149 of 222 First Previous 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-28, 18:40

No.

Besides, there isn’t enough lumber, steel and concrete available on the planet for the job. The stupid among us just have to roll the dice and try their best.

Not jumping on a bench next to a six-story drop is a good start.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-29, 07:54

This Gizmodo article is a pretty good detail of the robot's job. In short, hover up every bit of information from inside your home as possible.

Gizmodo's article is based on Motherboard's which is here.

My personal favorite from the article:
Quote:
"They're also pushing it as an accessibility device but with the masts breaking and the possibility that at any given moment it'll commit suicide on a flight of stairs, it's, at best, absurdist nonsense and marketing and, at worst, potentially dangerous for anyone who'd actually rely on it for accessibility purposes," the source said.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-29, 08:07

The funny thing is that every article I’ve read about this thing, the comments are 100% “uh…no.”

Somebody will buy it, but I don’t think it’ll be in numbers Amazon assumed/imagined. It’ll be $600 in six months and cease to exist in 12.

Assuming it lasts for 6-12 months, I’m guessing v2 will have a little mini machine gun/poison dart shooter for those people in the house it doesn’t recognize?

“Stop where you are or prepare to be fired upon.”

How many shitty sci-go/action movies have started this way?

In my lifetime we’ll likely enter that Terminator era where the things we create are both smarter than us and eventually figure out we’re a nuisance/pest, best to be either eliminated or enslaved.

The “twist” to all of this is our demise will never come from the stars and “out there” as so many predict or believe. We’ll probably be directly responsible for it ourselves.

Oh, they’re cute today - vacuuming, dancing, ordering dog food automatically - but in 30 years when your iCenturion ZX47 self-aware DigiButler and his two buddies from next door and across the street have homeowners bent over the kitchen counter and are taking turns giving them the business, I really don’t wanna hear about it.

“But I just wanted some help around the house!”

Nobody ever gets what they want. There’s always a catch. Yours just happens to be weekly three-way (involuntary) butthole intrusion sessions by robots who’ve learned how to high-five each other.

And good luck finding the OFF button…

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-29 at 08:40.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-29, 10:16

At least Amazon's hardware quality is notoriously poor, so one swift whack with a baseball bat should solve any problems.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-29, 14:44

It is an odd one. I don’t see the appeal at all. Then again, most of the smart stuff seems stupid to me.

Paul, I think most people figured we’d be the cause of our own demise once nukes were invented.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2021-10-04, 06:30

Don't have links for it at hand, but the news out of the NHL is wild right now. The goalie for the Vegas Golden Knights, Robin Lehner, is tweeting new info daily about accusations of rampant and widespread medical malpractice in the league. There's some awful stuff happening with the now former captain of the Buffalo Sabres, Jack Eichel, being denied a surgery on his neck over disagreement of which surgical method is best, and while Lehner initially was tweeting because of that (they're former teammates), he now is targeting the Philadelphia Flyers head coach (for whom he has never played) as one of the people directly involved in providing/forcing benzodiazepine and Ambien to players without prescriptions.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 08:31

Here’s an article about it at ESPN.com
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 09:04

When I was a little kid in the DC are a old man who lived near me stopped and talked to a few of us playing in the field behind the school. We were playing football so he gravitated to us. Turns out he played for the Steelers back when they used leather helmets and steel cleats. He showed us his fingers and how trashed they were from being stepped on during game play by those steel cleats. He said when they would get broken during game play they would just tape them up and get back out there.

The heart of the message he gave us was play with all we had no matter what happens and keep playing.

That is not what I'm reading in this story line though. Herniated disk in a neck is life crippling if untreated, fingers are expendable. You have ten after all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-04, 10:49

Facebook is down.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 10:50

That is an understatement.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 13:24

Instagram too.

Gee, that's a shame.

The rate-my-camel-toe narcissists and look-at-me crowd may need some counseling/puppy therapy before the day is out. Which Kardashian sister will be the first to throw herself off a bridge when she realizes she may not be able to meet her selfie quota for the day? My money is on the fake-looking one with the big ass.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 13:40

Hmmm …

This could represent the single greatest thinning-of-the-herd moment in human history.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-04, 14:23

Yeah I wonder how many people will jump off a bridge because they cannot update their status.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yeah I wonder how many people will jump off a bridge because they cannot update their status while jumping off a bridge.
FTFY

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 14:40

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 15:02

We're joking about it - and rightly so - but I know two people who are absolutely beside themselves over this.

I've always cracked wise about how some people would probably act without their social media, but damn...I was more right than I ever imagined, and they're doing everything I was joking about.

That they're expecting me to sympathize/take them seriously is the funny part.

When AN goes down for a day or two, all I think is "cool, I don't have to hear anyone's horseshit - including my own - for a couple of days..." and I go about my life. That I have some people in my orbit who act like they're gonna have to eat a bullet because of this saddens/scares me a little.

I suppose a good smack across their face is out of the question? Or is it...?

"Hey, come here. I have something for you..."

PS - As of 4:07 ET, they're all still down/unavailable. I'd love to know what happened!
¡Damned!

2021-10-04, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
My money is on the fake-looking one with the big ass.
Ah yes, that Kardashian sister.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 15:11

Yeah, one of those umbrella, catch-all statements/descriptions, since I don't know all their names. No way I can be wrong then.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-04, 18:17

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/10/...gram-whatsapp/

Doug Madory is director of internet analysis at Kentik, a San Francisco-based network monitoring company. Madory said at approximately 11:39 a.m. ET today (15:39 UTC), someone at Facebook caused an update to be made to the company’s Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) records. BGP is a mechanism by which Internet service providers of the world share information about which providers are responsible for routing Internet traffic to which specific groups of Internet addresses.

In simpler terms, sometime this morning Facebook took away the map telling the world’s computers how to find its various online properties. As a result, when one types Facebook.com into a web browser, the browser has no idea where to find Facebook.com, and so returns an error page.

[snip}

Update, 6:16 p.m. ET: A trusted source who spoke with a person on the recovery effort at Facebook was told the outage was caused by a routine BGP update gone wrong. The source explained that the errant update blocked Facebook employees — the majority of whom are working remotely — from reverting the changes. Meanwhile, those with physical access to Facebook’s buildings couldn’t access Facebook’s internal tools because those were all tied to the company’s stranded domains.

In the meantime, several different domain registration companies listed the domain Facebook.com as up for sale. This happened thanks to automated systems that look for registered domains which appear to be expired, abandoned or recently vacated. There’s no reason to believe Facebook.com will actually be sold as a result, but it’s fun to consider how many billions of dollars it could fetch on the open market.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-04, 18:56

If I had the cash, I’d do it in a heart beat, then turn it into a photo site with faces implanted into books. That would be it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-04, 21:53

Two thoughts:

1. There is no way this wasn't related in some way to the Whistleblower comments.

2. I signed up at AI after the Great Blackout, then here after the Schism. Good things can come from a digital timeout.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-04, 22:13

It was definitely a coincidence.

The internet is largely held together with duct tape. These kind of outages—someone fucking up BGP announcements—happen from time to time.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-05, 08:40

Yeah, easy to break BGP. Our network team did it at my company. It wasn't pretty and they weren't working on the BGP specifically, but the changes they made rippled and took down one of our data centers. It was a bad day for me and I wasn't even directly involved in that!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 15:42

Reading some excerpts of her upcoming "scorched earth tell-all" (titled Going There, of course), my decades-old suspicions about Katie Couric being a petty, unprofessional witch seem to have been right on the mark.

Yikes.

That she's doing this by her own hand just shows what an idiot she must be (I think that writing was clearly on the wall, for years).

If there is a bus to be found, she throws anyone she can, past and present, underneath it. If she wakes up tomorrow with any friends, it'll be a small miracle. Oddly enough, the only two people she doesn't seem to burn are Matt Lauer (Mr. Locksmith) and Harvey Weinstein ("never heard a thing").

I think that should speak volumes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-05, 16:23

There are people who are going to sleep with the devil to get to the top. Once on top they will discover that a world with nearly 8 billion people has no one to offer for genuine companionship, and they will die lonely.

Whatever.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-05, 16:37

Yeah, but she wrote a book about herself. And is going on tour with it.

With any luck she's greeted by empty stores and crickets.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 12:30

"I lost my cool" says the adult who literally beat a 2-year old child to death.

Life in prison? Nah. Not these days. You can rape a teenager, chop him/her up, toss them in a plastic bag, chuck them in an oil drum before burying them for next century's archeologists to dig up, and you'll be out in ten on good behavior.

This bastard has nothing left to offer a civilized society. Now, he's gonna cost us $100,000/year for how long? How many millions do we have to spend "rehabbing" this loser?

A .22 bullet costs, like, 5 cents.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 13:28

I hate stuff like this. Just hits me right in the gut/chest. Unbelievable.

From the article above:

Quote:
Williams, who was on probation for domestic violence, was arrested the same day Oliver died at the hospital.
Domestic violence against his current girlfriend? The one who left her baby in this bastard's care? Please tell me that's not the case.

Quote:
He has been held without bond in the Ada County Jail since his arrest.
Well one would hope so. I sure hope such a difficult decision hasn't weighed too heavily on whatever wrist-slapping judge (or prosecutor) found it within themselves to make such a tough call.

Is "finally killing somebody" what it takes for some to realize "he's bad news, fellas...lock him up!" Apparently so.

In 1-2 acts, people will show you who they are. If you don't have the courage or stones to see that and remove them from society, to protect the innocent, then seek another profession. You're not helping anyone. You're wrecking lives and putting innocent, undeserving citizens at risk (including two-year-olds who have no idea why someone is beating them to death).

Plenty of jobs out there for spineless, limp handwringers and the terminally pussified. A judge (and prosecutor) shouldn't be one. There's too much at stake. Some folks in that town, beyond the perp, have that young boy's blood on their hands. Never should've happened. There's what your "revolving door of justice" gets you...people out and about in society who've shown they don't have what it takes to belong. And it's only when the unthinkable happens that everyone gets all contrite, heavy-hearted and throat-clearing about it all. All the candles, flowers and teddy bears placed on the ground doesn't undo this, so don't even start up with that hollow nonsense.

Unbelievable.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-06, 13:44

Ohmigosh, that story just absolutely wrecked my day/mood. Ken, I'm gonna toilet paper your yard.

I don't mind stories about idiots offing themselves due to said idiocy. Can't handle the ones where little kids, animals or anyone innocent/helpless are hurt or killed by evil cretins and soulless monsters.

Those are the ones that put me in touch with my inner Paul Kersey/Bryan Mills/John Wick.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-06, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Ken, I'm gonna toilet paper your yard.
Yep. I deserve it.

Sorry, Paul.

Here's a cute bunny video.

With ads.

I'm not sure what goes off in the human brain that they think a child needs that kind of whooping. For what, even? Spilled milk? Misses mommy? Let me out of the closet?

"An eye for an eye" in this case seems appropriate. He should be beaten by a squad of bat-wielding parents who have lost their kids to violence. I'll supply the bats.