User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 151 of 221 First Previous 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2021-10-08, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ignorance abounds.

We have all ignorantly taken chances.

Some people are just PROFOUNDLY ignorant.

Indeed. I always keep a quote from Carlin The Wise in the back of my head:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

The 'average' is likely worse now than when he first uttered it.

So it goes.
Anonymous Coward

2021-10-08, 18:13

Apparently, Facebook and its subsidiaries was down again.

Did anyone notice? Apparently not. Is Facebook really so widespread, or is it just in the more vocal/outgoing part of the population? (Sorry, I know being old is not an excuse. I do have an account, I think, because it was considered a requirement for an arts & crafts club I joined, but never used it. I don't even remember what name I used.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-08, 18:17

I really didn't/don't buy the "botched update" thing the other day. And whatever they say about this one, I already don't believe it (in advance). I'm taking the pro-active/pre-emptive "they're full of shit" stance. Just because.

I want to pretend they've got some vigilante/crusader working from within the company to cornhole them at every opportunity.

Improbable and silly as it may be, just let me enjoy that wish/theory, okay?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-08, 20:16

And right on cue…

Every year the list of shit you can no longer dress up as for Halloween grows a little more.

And 23 days still to go…can’t wait to see what else makes the Offense-O-Rama™: 2021 Edition roster. I can only imagine.

Me? I’m going as a gay, Mexican Dr. Fauci. Buttless chaps, sombrero and a stethoscope. And if I can, I'll figure out a way to work in some blackface for the superfecta. How about that?

I'm kidding (before a couple of you here have a heart attack or something).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-10, 09:54

When walking up stacked milkcrates (and breaking your leg) and slapping a teacher simply aren't enough...

Pull your own hair out because, yo...it, like, totally makes, like, a sick sound, brah!

With each passing week I'll find myself thinking "okay, these TikTok 'challenges' have finally gotten as stupid/obnoxious as they ever will"...only to be jerked back to reality by whatever new stupid-ass things people come up with to film themselves doing.

May I suggest the Jump Off the Highest Bridge in Your Town Challenge? Please?

And, I'm sorry, but "TikTok" is just too cutesy/innocuous-sounding. Might I also suggest a top-down rebranding...CuntbagCentral has a nice ring to it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-10 at 10:05.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-10, 12:25

TikTok and the challenge stuff is odd. I was blown away to hear that TikTok had passed YouTube for active users and active video views this week. Hard to believe given how big YouTube has become. Given that TikTok is a Chinese company, I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-10, 14:55

I think it’s replaced Vine as the short skits/“challenge” platform. Seems to attract the same crowd/type…”Jackass” wannabes, “comedy” performers and attention-starved chicks engaging in look-at-me activities/behavior.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-11, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
And right on cue…

Every year the list of shit you can no longer dress up as for Halloween grows a little more.

And 23 days still to go…can’t wait to see what else makes the Offense-O-Rama™: 2021 Edition roster. I can only imagine.

Me? I’m going as a gay, Mexican Dr. Fauci. Buttless chaps, sombrero and a stethoscope. And if I can, I'll figure out a way to work in some blackface for the superfecta. How about that?

I'm kidding (before a couple of you here have a heart attack or something).
I love nurses, but I hate grandstanding.

Any girl that wants to dress up as a sexy nurse is OK in my book, especially if she actually is a sexy nurse!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-11, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
and slapping a teacher simply aren't enough...
Back in the day someone would knock you cold, expel you, and laugh when, later in life, you were sitting in prison because you turned out to be a complete loser.

Now, you get followers, coddled, and it's "criminal shaming" to laugh at your illegal ventures.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-11, 20:26

The fucker who killed ten people at my neighborhood grocery store has been declared incompetent to stand trial.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2021/10/...o-stand-trial/
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-11, 20:41

But “competent” enough to acquire, load/aim a gun and walk into a place and do what he did.

Convenient, huh? Funny how that works.

indeed
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-11, 23:43

And of course competent enough to be released back into the public in 6-12 months.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 07:50

Asshole didn't pay attention when he was told "Loose lips sink ships" and tries to sell out on US Navy.
Quote:
Weeks later, federal agents watched as the Toebbes arrived at an agreed-upon location in West Virginia for the exchange, with Diana Toebbe appearing to serve as a lookout for her husband during a dead-drop operation for which the FBI paid $20,000.

The FBI recovered a blue memory card wrapped in plastic and placed between two slices of bread on a half of a peanut butter sandwich, court documents say. The records on the memory card included design elements and performance characteristics of Virginia-class submarine reactors.
Along with others, this guy used his former access to cache documents on Secret/Top Secret data and tried to sell them. Thankfully he tried to sell them to the FBI. I hope this guy and his wife spend the next 50 years locked up.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 08:16

Didn't they used to execute people for this sort of thing? He's lucky to get prison time. Although, looking around at various other cases/situations, he'll probably skate too. We do not seem to be all that big on punishment and accountability, and if someone gets a slick enough lawyer - and a pussy enough judge - who knows what kind of nonsense can result.

You don't have to love your country. You don't have to stand for the pledge or anthem. Fine, whatever...suit yourself. But when you actively go out of your way to damage it by giving its secrets and information to others, after taking an oath to protect and defend, you've officially crossed over to "P.O.S." territory, and deserve whatever comes your way.

No excuse. There's a word for what this guy did, and the consequences used to be quite severe.

It's bad enough when some run-of-the-mill hippie or malcontent civilian government worker engages in this sort of thing. But when someone has taken the oath - and worn the uniform - that has to count for something extra on the punishment front. Your ass wasn't drafted. Nobody banged on your door with draft papers and pulled you into the Navy - or any other of the others - against your will. That hasn't happened for a very long time (early 70's), so people who willingly volunteer to serve - and then pull this sort of stuff - are worse. Because when you wear the uniform you are automatically, and rightly, held to a higher, different standard. You're the last person who should be doing this stuff. You dishonor all those who've come before, and all they did and gave.

If you can't take that seriously and serve with honor and dedication, then go do something else with your life. The world always needs plumbers, carpenters, auto mechanics, electricians, construction workers, etc. But don't take that oath, and then do everything to undo/upend it by your actions. It makes you an asshole of the highest order.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-12 at 08:49.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 09:15

That is pretty much how I feel about it too. I am pretty sure the death penalty won't happen even if it is a possibility given the current administration. Heck, he might even get a pardon out of it. Raised on a pedestal even for it.

To expand on his position, he was an officer even. We expect sailors to be stupid when they are junior, but this guy was a seasoned officer. There is an even higher standard for that. Yeah, he should die for his crimes if you asked me.

The clips I've gather from this are those details were the kind non-nuclear countries would love, never mind the tactical advantage it would give over our current submarine fleet. The damage would be permanent had that data gotten into a foreign operative's hands.

What things won't money make people do.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
And of course competent enough to be released back into the public in 6-12 months.
So at least he's not getting out based on this. Until he's considered competent enough to stand trial, he'll be held in prison. Colorado law limits that stay to the length of the heaviest charge against, but in this case that's life in prison so he'll be held indefinitely.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-12, 10:32

Good to know.
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Heck, he might even get a pardon out of it. Raised on a pedestal even for it.
I don't know if I'd go there given the traitorous sociopaths the last guy saw fit to pardon (and supports, still).
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't know if I'd go there given the traitorous sociopaths the last guy saw fit to pardon (and supports, still).
He pardoned them because they were set up by the Deep State. /s
¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 20:03

If there's any justice in this country as prescribed a few posts above, Bannon, Stone, Manafort and General Flynn will taste the rope, with other traitors to follow. I'm OK with all of that too.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-12, 20:13

Whoa whoa whoa...

You don't agree with me politically? No way. I just do not believe it.

Ok, I wasn't trying to drive this thread into a political discussion so I'm just going to say clearly e see things differently. Moving on back to news topics and not pushing our own political preferences.

¡Damned!

2021-10-12, 20:29

Quote:
...given the current administration. Heck, he might even get a pardon out of it. Raised on a pedestal even for it.
Maybe don't spout obvious falsehoods and you won't get some honest feedback.

But yes, let's return to our regularly scheduled Daily News.....
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-12, 20:31

While China threatens Taiwan and the AUKUS pact joins the great western powers, the Canadian Navy is ready to fight.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 18:55

Just goes to show that guns aren't required to be a murderous asshole.

No country/culture, even those who may think they've got things figured out/under control on the firearms front, is immune to this kind of stuff, unfortunately. Crazy, evil people exist everywhere, and they will always find a way. That's what makes them crazy and/or evil. Guns, knives, swords, dynamite/pipe bombs, fire, vehicles, poison/chemicals, etc.

But I can honestly say this is the first time I've heard of someone using a bow and arrow to carry out their deranged nonsense and commit mass murder. The technique and aiming (and reloading) makes this an extra level of sinister, IMO. Because anyone can mindlessly spray a food court or classroom with automatic fire, detached from the reality of where all the bullets are going; pull the trigger and move the barrel around, assured you're going to hit something. Takes no particular skills or prowess, IMO. Enough moron losers have done this over the years that it should be pretty obvious...maximum carnage with the least amount of skill/effort.

But to sit and shoot a person with an arrow - and then load/aim/shoot four more times, killing four other people...damn. That's a different level of malicious, twisted prick. That takes the kind of skill/focus/dedication that I find terrifying, that amount of crazy/evil in a person.

And I can only assume the NBAA (Norwegian Bow & Arrow Association) are already hard at work on their "from our cold, dead hand" videos/rebuttal. And every politician in Norway is, as we speak, deciding which side of the bow-and-arrow debate they want to be on. It's an absolute shame that Robin Hood, Hawkeye or Green Arrow - one good man with a bow and arrow, as it were - wasn't there to put a quick end to this shit, huh?

Hope/work for the best, but expect/prepare for the worst. No matter where you are, or what utopia you think you might be living in. Because you ain't, I promise you.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-13 at 19:10.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-13, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
While China threatens Taiwan and the AUKUS pact joins the great western powers, the Canadian Navy is ready to fight.
Seems like the video is gone, too bad I always like seeing jokes about our armed forces. Oh wait, it is the joke.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-13, 20:27

Last guy in Norway to run rampant with a gun killed 77. There’s no equivalence, though I don’t believe any was implied by the post above, just wanted to add that it only underscores the danger of fire arms: any idiot can inflict maximum damage with minimal training.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 20:30

Isn’t a contest. It’s all horrible…82 people are dead who shouldn’t be. I don’t really give a shit how. Dead is dead.
Anonymous Coward

2021-10-13, 22:11

Quote:
To expand on his position, he was an officer even. We expect sailors to be stupid when they are junior, but this guy was a seasoned officer.
Thanks for the update on this. I read the story on the BBC a couple of days ago, but at that time there were fewer details and I just assumed he was enlisted. I wondered how much information could really have been passed that foreign governments don't already know.

I mean, yes, a breach of trust is serious, but I was never on a special operations boat, and I think at one time, when I was stationed on my first or second submarine, I might have had a Secret clearance, but when the enlisted Walker family was caught, everyone's security clearance was downgraded to the minimum necessary.

When I was nearly out of the Navy, I was on a tender (repair ship) transiting from overseas, and was on some kind of trash detail, when I saw classified materials being thrown out in the regular trash. The other enlisted thought I was, I don't know, wasting their time since, besides some documents, most of what I found were empty binders (which are still supposed to be handled in a specific way, but I only knew that because, at one time, I was in charge of archiving engineering logs and maintaining manuals, which meant I was more familiar with the document handling procedures of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 than most people). From what I could tell, the Duty Officer took me seriously, but I wasn't quite sure. Anyway, that was just to say, I know how low level classified materials can be mishandled, especially when most of the crew has never had a security clearance. (The repair ship serviced both nuclear and non-nuclear powered craft, so the radiological controls division had operating manuals for the various nuclear reactor plants, and those binders, in fact, from currently used reactor plants.)

But the fact that this person had Top Secret clearance and also was not "just" a sailor on a ship or prototype plant, but worked at a laboratory in Pittsburgh (which, based on my time handling documents, but otherwise, I have no real information, sounds like the facility where the nuclear plant operating manuals are written).

This is not as far reaching as the above linked Walker case, but I would not expect much leniency.

P.S. The level of a person's security clearance is also classified information.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward : 2021-10-13 at 22:49.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 10:58

As with another recent case (whose location I can't recall, but it was within the past several months and we discussed it here, upthread...was it New Zealand, maybe?), it appears the Norwegian bow-and-arrow killer was "known" to law enforcement, and they had concerns that he'd been "radicalized".

Which somehow makes it worst, in that it wasn't some random fruit loop who "snapped", but someone that they were already aware of/had on their radar for whatever reason(s). And he still manages to kill people. Law enforcement is good at coming in after-the-fact to clean up and piece things together. But they seem to drop the ball on front-end prevention, even when they know there's someone they should be keeping tabs on.

I guess it's like those cases we've all heard about where people (yes, primarily women) are stalked/harassed by an vengeful ex or obsessed co-worker, but "we can't do anything until he kills you; in the meantime, we'll issue a toothless restraining order that won't mean two swinging fucks to a deranged person looking to do you harm. But do give us a call the minute he plunges a knife into your chest, or pulls the trigger."

There's got to be a better way, some sort of reasonable middle-ground, in these types of scenarios where you know there's a valid, looming threat just waiting to strike. Otherwise what's the point? Five people in Norway are dead because...? Where do the "rights" of known troublemakers/threats end and those of innocent citizens begin? I guess that's for the legal scholars to debate.

Because any overlap seems to be a losing, shitty proposition for the innocent citizens, time and again. These five people didn't wake up deserving this, or ever dreaming such a thing would be how they died.

Some more info/details.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-14 at 11:13.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-10-14, 15:00

There's a segment of NRA types who cream their pants whenever some shit head kills a bunch of innocent people by any means other than a gun: gives them fodder to pretend guns aren't a special kind of problem. Though there's an interesting thought experiment here...

There are perhaps more readily available weapons of mass destruction. What would happen to the (insert item in question) if murder by some other particular legal device reached epidemic proportions? Close to my town an incel retard killed a dozen people by just driving a rental van into them. I can think of a lot of places in the city where the death toll would have been even higher just because of pedestrian traffic and sidewalk cafes and such. The USA is tracking near 40,000 firearm deaths per year, about 25,000 suicides, about 15,000 homicides. Interestingly, gun death is more or less on par with vehicular deaths now (also just under 40,000/year. One main difference being that the majority of firearm deaths are intentional, while most vehicular deaths are accidental; another being that firearm death has been trending up while vehicle death has been trending down.

Of course as a society we've been working to make cars safer - speed restriction, automated surveillance, impaired driving laws, seat belt laws, etc...

Can we honestly say the same about firearms? We tend to make a personal freedoms argument (and in the USA a constitutional one) but as a practical matter, the ability to own and use a car make a far greater practical (daily) contribution to freedom.

So if the murderous sub-class decided to start using cars as their weapon of choice, what further safety restriction would we have to incorporate, if any?

Last edited by Matsu : 2021-10-14 at 15:10.