Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod sync - iTunes 4.7 (and iPhoto?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod sync - iTunes 4.7 (and iPhoto?)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-27, 01:25

I always thought that iPhoto was for photo storage and organsitation, iMovies for movie storage and organisation and iMusic* should have been for music storage and organisation. (Don't get me started on the pathetic title of GarageBand as part of the iLife suite either.)

Anyway, I can understand that Apple had to work out the simplest way to import photos into the iPod Photo without excluding the Windows users - and since iTunes was ported to Windows - this makes sense.

However, if iTunes is to now handle photos albums as well as music collections, I notice a "blurriness" in terms of functionality/definitions in the whole iLife line-up that appears slack and un-Apple like. What happened to the idea of one dedicated app to excel at one function? Will iTunes become the app/repository for feature bloat now? I know the importance of brand-names and industry recognition - but is this going too far?

They were all rhetorical musings above.

My first question is this:

Do you think Apple should release some app - maybe the iPod/iLife sync app - that knows what type of iPod you have and can sync with iPhoto, iMovie (one day) and the inappropriately named iTunes? This way, iTunes can stick with the music and iTMS and your iPod can interact with the various iLife apps without having to lumber all the connectivity onto iTunes. I mean, looking down the road, if they offer iPod movies - then surely they won't still rely on iTunes to sync it all up, will they?

My second question is this:

Do you think Apple will think about porting iPhoto to Windows? (God, I hope not - b/c this is part of what makes the whole OS X/iLife thing unique to Mac users ... but, you never know.)

* I think the iTunes name is dumb - even moreso, now that is to function for a iPhoto syncing as well.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Akumulator

2004-10-27, 01:59

I thought it was strange when Apple made iTunes the viewer for some of their High Res Movie Trailers. Why not just Quicktime?

Maybe iTunes is evolving and will need a name change down the road. Who knows. I'm not sure why iPhoto doesn't sync with the iPod other then keeping it simple with one app. and not giving Windows users another of Apple's selling point software.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-10-27, 02:45

They are in the business of selling iPods AND computers. The iPod needs to to be just as integrated on the PC as it is on the Mac.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-27, 04:09

Hence, my second question.

Otherwise, getting iTunes to handle all the syncing is a bit odd if they stick with the iTunes name.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-10-27, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
They are in the business of selling iPods AND computers. The iPod needs to to be just as integrated on the PC as it is on the Mac.
What the hell does that mean?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-10-27, 07:56

I think what he's trying to say is that they had to add photo synchronization to iTunes because there is no iPhoto for Windows. I expect a future iteration of iPhoto (and Adobe PS Album on Windows) to be able to sync with the iPod via sync services in Tiger, but this was the first solution to the problem because it's easier to do this in one place at first and have one explanation than to have to split hairs about what the Mac version does versus the Windows version. Besides, just because they've implemented this in iTunes doesn't mean they can't add this to iPhoto as well. So long as it's the same database to keep track of this stuff, you can implement this inv 20 places if you wanted.

Note that iMovie was the first iApp, released even before Apple acquired the code for iTunes, and it was not a catalog app. iApps don't seem to be defined under this purpose, they are for creating and presenting content in a simple clear way.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch about this yet. This is a first step IMO.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2004-10-27, 08:29

It does seem strange that Apple has split the digital-photo workflow into two unrelated applications.

However, this may seem to make more sense with the next release of iPhoto. Preferences for which folders to sync could be identical and in both apps.

However, it still seems strange. Instead, I think both applications should have a button to open an iPod preferences window. On OS X, it this could even be a preference pane. This window would have ALL the settings for integrating the computer with an iPod.

Clicking on the iPod prefs button in iCal would open the iCal tab of the iPod preferences window. Clicking on the iPod prefs button in iPhoto would open the iPhoto tab in this window... and so on. It seems so simple.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-27, 14:15

BuonRotto - Thanks for the reply and prognostications as to the handling of this via services in Tiger. It will probably be changed in Tiger - maybe this way or maybe the way dfiler suggests.

As for the order in which the iLife apps were acquired/released - I was aware of this and I also know that they can be used for creation in addition to storage. It is just that I think the iLife apps should be designed, as you say, in a simple and clear way. I feel that this cross pollination of iPod transfer capabilities goes against the straightforwardness and elegance we have come to expect from Apple. But, I fully understand that this could just be a first (temporary) step, as you pointed out.

(Nickers not in a knot - more frustrated/surprised that I seem to be the only one that cares about the issue enough to start a thread on it. Actually - that is quite anal of me, I know. Eh, what am I going to do?) :shrugs:

dfiler - Thanks for your reply too. An iPod preference pane makes sense as well. In fact, it seems a logical and elegant one-step solution to the issue that all iLife apps can have access to. I like this simplicity and the fact that iTunes is not burdened with having to import the photo albums. Again, maybe (/hopefully) in Tiger?

All I want is a simple life
twitter