AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Official Space Exploration Coolness Thread
Page 28 of 31 First Previous 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-13, 15:20

Listen. I started to tell it to an asshole at the office and he began talking to somebody who walked in the room right at that moment.

Here's what we're talking about...

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/jeff-bezos-william-shatner-rocket-vde142a10

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-10-13 at 20:47.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-26, 08:00

I wonder how Elon will tweet about this?

Out-of-control SpaceX rocket on collision course with moon

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-26, 10:50

At least the moon will get a new crater.

It will be interesting to see what the result is.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-01-26, 12:28

I'm not sure this is "news" beyond click-bait. "Out of control" rockets launched from Earth have been wandering around for, what, 70 years? Some of them get sucked back to Earth and burn up; some of them get sucked in by the sun; some of them wander off into space and are considered "lost"; and some of them get sucked in by the moon. The article indicates that there aren't a lot of "accidental" bits hitting the moon, but can in no way provide any evidence as proof. Almost all space junk is accounted for, but there is enough "lost" stuff that we cannot say with any degree of certainty that it didn't go *SPLATT* on the moon.

The important bit in the article is the following:

Quote:
For those asking: yes, an old Falcon 9 second stage left in high orbit in 2015 is going to hit the moon on March 4. It's interesting, but not a big deal.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-10, 13:20

Russia gets a second taste of getting their asses kicked in the space race!

Quote:
Rogozin, while announcing his country's decision to stop supplying rocket engines to the United States in retaliation for its sanctions against Russia, had said Americans could "use broomsticks" instead to launch their rockets.
The United States politely answers via SpaceX: "Time to let the American Broomstick fly and hear the sounds of freedom"

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2022-03-10, 14:48

Empty threats. We already have all the Russian engines we need before switching over to the Vulcan Launch System, which is USA-based.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-04-22, 14:53

It's probably unsurprising that Sanders hates the private space industry, I don't see any acknowledgement that 100% government-run space industry was getting America nowhere, having to pay Russia, for space rides to a station the U.S. largely created.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-26, 08:33

Lest this be shifted off page by the 73 different Star Wars threads, I'm giving it a bump with a new theory on how our inner planets came to be here. Space exploration isn't all rockets and astronauts

https://www.wired.com/story/astronom...f-the-planets/

Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-06-26, 09:38

Can we launch Elon Musk into space and leave him there?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-04, 00:41

The first images from the James Webb Space Telescope are set to be released to the public on July 12th. I anticipate we'll be talking about them.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-04, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The first images from the James Webb Space Telescope are set to be released to the public on July 12th. I anticipate we'll be talking about them.

Hear, hear! I was one of the many folks who were excitedly, anxiously, nervously watching its launch months ago and its deployment over the agonizing weeks that followed, and I've been following as much information as I could find about its various alignments and tests since then. The alignment evaluation image that they released back in March was already kind of mind-blowing in how clearly you could see the shapes of distant galaxies in the tiny fractions of an arc second. (full image: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...ge_labeled.png)

Despite one of the mirrors already having sustained damaged by a micrometeoroid, the fully processed images coming out in a couple weeks are supposedly very impressive, or at least to the astronomers and engineers who have seen it already and are teasing us. Speculation I've heard from astronomers and telescope operators on social media is that they'll probably be correcting for the damage in post-processing software or by making subtle adjustments to that mirror and the surrounding ones to try to compensate, and that the damage really is pretty minor overall, barely noticeable if you didn't know where to find it. The most likely visible effect of the damage would be slight haloing or "star streaks" around very bright subjects, kind of like what you see in that evaluation image but much smaller.

I'm so excited to see what the more PR-friendly results with false colors will be.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-04, 13:14

I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to see what some of these images come back with as well as the information we glean from them!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-07, 15:23

First test image from Webb released!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-07, 16:33

Blackheads? I didn't know space had blackheads!

Just think. Now we know where all those shiny things used to be.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-11, 18:10

And it's here. First official Webb images. Lots of lensing and aliens!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-11, 18:18

Quote:
This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground.
Talk about helping put things in perspective.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-11, 18:37

Nice.

I love that they picked a section that prominently features gravitational lensing. General relativity seems to be really hard for a lot of people to grasp, but then you have confirmation in a beautiful presentation like this that anyone can see with their very own eyes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2022-07-12, 07:27

Comparison between Webb and Hubble of the same area. Pretty astonishing.

Full-res versions: Hubble Webb
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-12, 09:24

That really is a "night and day" difference.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-12, 11:28

And, right on cue, SpaceX had a boo-boo as Booster 7 self ignited and tried to destroy itself. Oops!

Elon Musk: "Yeah, we meant to do that."

Elon Musk later: "Yeah, we didn't mean to do that."

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-12, 13:20

More JWST pictures!

And then there were five: NASA releases the rest of Webb’s first images

https://webbtelescope.org/news/news-...First%20Images

Some thumbnails:

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-07-12, 14:28

Ooh ooh ooh! To expand upon 709's before/after image comparing Hubble with JWST, check this out:

https://johnedchristensen.github.io/WebbCompare/
(source code here)

Someone set up a simple web page where you can compare the images interactively. Very impressive.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-12, 15:07

The six pointed flare compared to Hubble's four pointed flare stand out to me more than anything.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-12, 15:38

That's caused by the shape of the mirror segments, which are hexagonal (6-pointed) on the JWST thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Ooh ooh ooh! To expand upon 709's before/after image comparing Hubble with JWST, check this out:

https://johnedchristensen.github.io/WebbCompare/
(source code here)

Someone set up a simple web page where you can compare the images interactively. Very impressive.
And, that is awesome!

I think the Carina Nebula image is the most telling in terms of the detail afforded by Webb. Amazing!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-14, 13:08

Perspective!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-05, 16:23

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

I'll save my comments.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-08-21, 21:11

The SLS/Artemis is due to launch in just over a week on August 29th.

I'm not as excited about this as I feel like I should be. Anyone else feel this way? Years of dragging on for what seemed like a relatively simple remake of the Apollo program 50+ years ago kind of sapped the anticipation out of this one for me. At least the extra years JWST spent in development still eventually delivered something completely new (and incredibly complex).

Here's a summary graphic describing the general design and mission objectives:

I'd be tempted to put money on III and IV not happening until 2030 at the earliest if ever.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-08-22, 09:27

No kidding. By then SpaceX and Blue Origin () will already be there and back with space ports on the moon.
Quagmire
meh

2022-08-22, 09:54

We should never have left the moon. I’m glad we are going back.

I’m not happy with SLS as a rocket, but I love the Artemis Program. Saturn V should never been cancelled either.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-08-23, 11:28

Monday, August 29, 8:33 AM EDT. All the way to the moon and back!

With as many problems as this thing has had, I think an unscheduled disassembly is as likely as anything else. But, I do hope it is successful.

Edit: If you're bored, here's the live feed.