User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Who is going to upgrade to or buy the next iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Will you be getting the next iPhone?
Yes, no matter what 7 24.14%
No, no matter what 13 44.83%
Yes, if it's a full fledged next-gen iPhone 5 3 10.34%
No, if it's just an iPhone 4S 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Who is going to upgrade to or buy the next iPhone?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-05-30, 22:13

Just curious!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-05-30, 22:42

Still rockin' the 3G units in this house. I think it's time to get new ones.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-05-30, 22:56

3 for my family. Two 3GSes and a 3G currently.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-05-30, 22:57

Just got the 4, so I'll be sticking with it for at least a year or two.
Partial
Stallion

2011-05-30, 22:58

Day 1 for me.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-05-30, 23:02

Same as Kick.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-05-30, 23:29

"No, no matter what."

When my current phone can't run the latest iOS release smoothly, that's when I'll make a move. I figure I've got another two years.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-05-31 at 10:33.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2011-05-30, 23:49

yeah, just got an iPhone 4. it's gonna be two years.
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-05-31, 00:07

Currently have a 3G and it's unbearable to use with iOS 4, so I will be upgrading no matter what.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-05-31, 01:00

I'll probably get one for my wife - she has a 3GS right now. My 4 should last for a while yet.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-05-31, 01:51

I'm not really a fan of the "S" idea, so I'll likely hold out longer if this is the case. In the case of it being an iPhone 5, depending on a couple specific details, I suppose, definitely. I'll be at the point where I can upgrade then, so I'd be happy to do so.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-05-31, 03:25

It really depends. I have an iPhone 4 so unless it's something truly spectacular I probably won't upgrade.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-05-31, 07:32

Yup. My 3G can't handle it anymore.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-05-31, 08:05

I'll be adding a line so I'll buy one regardless. The question is do I keep the new one or pass it on to the post-doc? If it feels like a "real" upgrade, I'll keep the new one. If it's just a "4S", I'll probably hold off on upgrading my own phone til the 5 hits.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
BenP

2011-05-31, 08:10

What is the difference between the last two poll options?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-05-31, 09:35

I need a new phone, I'm out of contract currently, but am waiting to see what happens with ATT and T-Mobile. Been using a G1 for a few years now, and it's feeling pretty long in the tooth.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-05-31, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP View Post
What is the difference between the last two poll options?
My guess is an iPhone 4S would be like the iPhone 3GS; some new stuff on the inside but the same look outside. An iPhone 5 would be a new look as well as new stuff on the inside.

Either way, I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 for another year.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-05-31, 10:04

I can't even believe I've had my iPhone 4 for almost a year now. It's still such an awesome phone. Wouldn't even consider upgrading at this point. Can't wait to see the iP5 next summer though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-05-31, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
My guess is an iPhone 4S would be like the iPhone 3GS; some new stuff on the inside but the same look outside. An iPhone 5 would be a new look as well as new stuff on the inside.

Either way, I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 for another year.
Exactly. And this is what I've expected all along, honestly...they might not call it the iPhone 4Gs, but I do think whatever comes this fall(?) will look just like the current iPhone 4, with some tweaked/enhanced guts. I think Apple can get more mileage out of this design than just one year.

I think 2012 will see a new design, with crazy new specs (4G, etc.) and features we probably aren't even thinking about today.

But I think this year's release will simply be "iPhone 4...just more gooder". Nothing truly dazzling and worth an upgrade from an iPhone 4 (especially if you had to pay full, unsubsidized price), but certainly a no-brainer move if you're on a 3G or 3Gs (and are able to get the $199-299 pricing).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-05-31 at 11:39.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-05-31, 11:19

Quote:
That's not what BenP meant. As written, the last two options are: "Yes, if it's a full fledged next-gen iPhone 5" and "No, if it's just an iPhone 4S". But those both inherently mean the same thing; if you say you will not get it if it's a 4S, that means the same thing as you will get it if it's a proper 5, and therefore, while worded differently, those two options mean the exact same result and therefore one is redundant.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-05-31, 11:45

As soon as I can get off my Droid contract in August, I'm moving on to the iPhone. Can't believe it's almost been two years with the Droid.
Bonn89

2011-05-31, 11:54

I fully plan to get this year's iPhone as soon as my AT&T contract expires in late November. I'm also using that opportunity to jump ship to Verizon, as they have far superior coverage than AT&T here in Maine; however, I won't make the carrier switch unless Verizon has similar tiered data plans to what I currently use on AT&T.

As for the phone itself: to be quite honest, I'm going to be severely pissed if this year's phone is only an "iPhone 4S" type of deal, mostly because I don't want to buy into what's essentially a rehashed version of last year's model, which is exactly what happened when I ended up with no choice but to buy my current 3GS in late 2009 (my OG iPhone screen was badly cracked, it couldn't run iOS 3.0 to save it's own life, and the battery life was quickly going down the shitter).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-05-31, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
As soon as I can get off my Droid contract in August, I'm moving on to the iPhone. Can't believe it's almost been two years with the Droid.
Weren't you the one making a big production out of how much better it was going to be and you were wearing everyone out with your Droid lust and praise?

What happened/changed?

If that was someone else, and not you, my apologies. Someone here, though, went absolutely bonkers with their Droidism a while back, carrying on and on about the whole "open" thing, etc. I always thought "yeah, yeah...wait until you get one, then get back with us in a few months."
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-05-31, 12:09

I am a neo-luddite. I understand and appreciate the value of smart phones, I just don't want one. Hell, I hate carrying a cell phone around and the expectations that you are at anyone's beck and call; a notion I disabuse people of very quickly. It is only worse with a smart phone: messaging, email, facebook updates: why should I care that you are upset I didn't read your status update?

So count me out. I am in the minority here, and I realize that it will be shortly impossible for me to get just a cell phone, but that is what I only ever wanted. A few years ago, Motorola developed an e-ink cell phone that just made and received calls and had a battery that lasted something like 1 month. I wanted one. They didn't sell it in the US or Asia or Europe or South America, only in Africa and only briefly. The bastards.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-05-31, 12:26

I certainly understand those feelings. But my life hasn't changed any for the worse since getting an iPhone, with all those ways to reach me.

Granted, it's harder now to say "ooh, I didn't get your e-mail...I haven't been home" when everyone who knows me is aware that I have an e-mail-getting iPhone.

But I certainly don't feel compelled to stop and instantly respond to everything I receive. I really don't act any differently now than I did when I only had access to my e-mail at home. I don't use it while driving, I'm not one of those people who sits at a table in a restaurant texting/surfing and ignoring who they're with, I don't stand obliviously in aisles and entrances to stores with my head buried in text or e-mails. If I see something I need to respond to, I step way out of the way from others and I go about it quietly and with no fuss.

It's called "having manners and a clue". Folks should try it sometime.

It's the people who have smartphones, and then center/base their entire damn lives (every waking second), who are the problem. The devices, used smartly and with a bit of restraint and maturity, are awesome.

The benefits, for me, have far, far outweighed any hassles. The convenience factor alone (Google Maps, Fandango, The Weather Channel, nice camera, alarms, voice memos, reminders, e-mail, Safari/Google, etc.) has saved my butt many times in the past 46 months...I no longer have to stop for directions, ask to borrow a phone book, buy a paper just to learn movie times (or call the theater for their recording), I've captured some amazing pics and video on the spur of the moment, I never forget appointments or events, I've got the answer to any question or bar bet within seconds, etc.

One can have an iPhone and not be a slave/prisoner to it. Just takes a bit of willpower, perspective and realization that "real life" is happening in front of you (and takes precedent), and that the beeping, glowing device in your pocket is secondary...and can almost always wait.

The same people I ignore in any desktop e-mails, the same applies with my phone. I don't respond to silly chain stuff, or forwarded glurge/rants, etc. People who know me have figured out that I typically only respond to legit conversations/questions, and I'm getting less and less of that other stuff, as time goes on. I've trained everyone well...

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-05-31, 12:30

i voted "No, no matter what" because I have the current version. But if I happened to drop it into the loo the day after the new iPhone came out I would probably buy the new one. That said, I'm not the kind of guy who takes his phone to the loo. It's unhygienic.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-05-31, 12:48

I buy rev-b products and then skip generations, which I think is A good strategy for apple products. I didn't buy an original iPhone, but bought a 3G, skipped the 3GS and bought an iPhone 4. I'll get an iPhone 6 :-)

Similarly, skipped original iPad and bought an iPad 2. I hope it'll last longer than 2 years though!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-05-31, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
i voted "No, no matter what" because I have the current version. But if I happened to drop it into the loo the day after the new iPhone came out I would probably buy the new one. That said, I'm not the kind of guy who takes his phone to the loo. It's unhygienic.
Tests of touchscreen phones in my area, according to the local news, show more germs than the average toilet handle.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2011-05-31, 15:30

Quote:
Tests of touchscreen phones in my area, according to the local news, show more germs than the average toilet handle.
The folks in your area must be twitter shitters!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2011-05-31, 15:34

Quote:
The door handles probably get cleaned regularly. How many here can say that they regularly clean their phone?