AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Need Website: Custom CMS or Wordpress

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need Website: Custom CMS or Wordpress
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-05-14, 11:13

Hi folks.

Anyone in this place design websites for a living? I've been learning a bunch about sites, SEO, responsive design etc... I don't know code, and I'm not looking to learn right now. I am looking for a degree of flexibility in adding new features going forward, but for the moment, I'm looking for a site that helps people find me and my work, and can handle client galleries (photography).

I don't like the template driven services aimed at photographers for both aesthetic and marketing reasons.

Wordpress seems to have lots of plug-ins to accommodate different needs, but by the time you've added everything, may not be cheaper - not to do it right - but while the budge is modest, price isn't the sole determining factor. Flexibility may be though.

A purpose built HTML5 site has to be right from the start, because I have little capacity to change it, though I'll learn all about tags and key-wording etc as I go. I would want to at least achieve a level of power user proficiency in uploading and managing my content - to drive relevant hits. The one thing I foresee is that I might not be able to adapt to any emerging phenomena as easily. Have to call designers and shell out $$$ when/if we decide to add buttons for whatever cool thing that doesn't exist or isn't hot right now. Maybe I'm overthinking it, since I don't want to be changing the site too much or getting away from the core purpose.

Thoughts?