AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple standardized batteries?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple standardized batteries?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-03-26, 20:42

Okay, this makes no sense.

The company that solders the standardized RAM and locks down the standardized SSDs, is going to make removable batteries?

Using the photo of an iMac in the patent application is clearly misdirection. iMacs do not need rechargeable batteries. At all.
Apple's MacBook line does, and if this is real in any way, that's the application.

Maybe the Right-to-Repair guys and the EU bureaucrats have broken them, and we will have a new age of expandable Macs.

Or maybe, this is just a patent app destined to sit in a desk drawer somewhere.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-03-26, 23:48

Hey with that tech maybe the Magic Mouse would only be 50% sucky, rather than 100% e-waste after a few years. This coming from the guy with a first gen Magic mouse using rechargeable AA batteries.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-03-26, 23:58

Yes. The rechargeable Magic Mouse, which I recently bought, is the worst Apple product I have ever owned.
Absolutely no thought was put into designing it.

My older iMac has no USB-C ports, so I have to charge it away from the computer - and have no idea whether it's charging or when it's done.

Even if I had an adapter, it has to charge upside-down. So it's unusable, instead of just plugging it into the top/front, and continuing.

And to add insult to injury, the black one is $20 more than the white one. Which is incredibly stupid.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
Yesterday, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Or maybe, this is just a patent app destined to sit in a desk drawer somewhere.
Most likely.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Yesterday, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes. The rechargeable Magic Mouse, which I recently bought, is the worst Apple product I have ever owned.
Absolutely no thought was put into designing it.

My older iMac has no USB-C ports, so I have to charge it away from the computer - and have no idea whether it's charging or when it's done.

Even if I had an adapter, it has to charge upside-down. So it's unusable, instead of just plugging it into the top/front, and continuing.

And to add insult to injury, the black one is $20 more than the white one. Which is incredibly stupid.
Yeah, that’s always bugged me. I can see charging for more GHz, storage, graphics, pixel-pushing, but $20 more for a black/silver (formerly space grey) mouse just seems arbitrary and petty. Come on, Apple…knock it off.

As for the topic, I’d two years about how long these newer, no-battery Magic Mouses last? Someone needs to figure up the cost of replacing them at that rate, vs. buying Duracells or energizers every few months. I’m still using an early, 2009-ish Magic Mouse. I love it, the design, feel, use, swiping/gestures, etc. i know the thing is to hate Apple mouse designs, and a few have warranted it, but I love the Magic Mouse. Not enough to fork over $20 extra for s’more “professional, seriousl” version (I don’t play that “appearances” game…I’d walk into a board meeting with a pink/rose gold MacBook and dare anyone to utter a word. You use your black and silver, carbon fiber he-man, penis stand-in digital tools and I’ll use my white, colored, pastel, stuff and don’t worry about it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

Yesterday, 12:45

I think it's $29 to replace the batteries in those Magic mice?

Too expensive if you ask me. I'll take AA anyway, and I have lithium rechargeable AA (also pricey, but way cheaper than Apple's solution).

FWIW, I absolutely hate the Magic Mouse. Too flat, too weird, too expensive, and too wasteful. Oh, and too "touchy" with all those gestures on a surface slightly larger than a bandaid.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Yesterday, 14:34

Oh, it's awesome. It is too expensive for what it is, but it's Apple we're talking about. What stuff from them isn't? At one point I had the rechargeable Apple batteries and that little white wall charger/plugger-in thingie, but they depleted and are long gone. I now by Dollar Tree batteries because I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy damn Duracell and Energizer (can they at least come with a hand-job?).

So I get a 4-6 pack of Dollar Tree AA's (I think Sunbeam makes them?) I'll put them in my mouse and will get a solid 6-7 weeks out of them, with daily, steady, often heavy, usage. No complaints. But I'd like one of those newer ones that I can just charge overnight with the Lightning cable already attached to my MacBook Pro. I'd love to never have to buy AA batteries again. My TV remote takes AAA and my car's key fob lock/trunk opener takes one of those little flat round ones.

Man, do I have a grip on the technical/occupational jargon or what? Thingie, plugger-inner, boat guy, etc. Eh, I just call stuff what it looks like/makes sense to me, figuring a place this pedantic (the Internet in general, really) someone's sure to get their rocks off correcting me. I know Eugene, Bruce and Yikes! are long gone, but their minions/acolytes left behind fill the void admirably. I learn something new here everyday, whether I want to or not.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
Yesterday, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I think it's $29 to replace the batteries in those Magic mice?

Too expensive if you ask me. I'll take AA anyway, and I have lithium rechargeable AA (also pricey, but way cheaper than Apple's solution).

FWIW, I absolutely hate the Magic Mouse. Too flat, too weird, too expensive, and too wasteful. Oh, and too "touchy" with all those gestures on a surface slightly larger than a bandaid.
Agreed 100%. Of course to Apple it’s dispensable object they ship with computers. They think you should buy a new one every two or three years, which about how long they think people should keep a machine. Of course in the real world most of us keep a machine for a least 5 years, maybe more.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
Yesterday, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I don't care for it, but I guess it's supposed to be a compromise between a classic mouse and a trackpad. It's flatter to make the gestures work meaningfully, but still bumpy enough to work as a mouse.

But, yeah, just get a trackpad. Modern macOS thrives on gestures.