User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 3 of 7 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-17, 14:42

Last month my wife and I used 178GB of data between the two of us.

I did end up getting the 13 mini in blue with a silicone case and the MagSafe wallet. I want to scale down my wallet a bit and see if this could possibly work for me.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2021-09-17 at 22:34.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-17, 14:46

There is a pre-oder MagSafe battery that I ordered for $22 off from Amazon in hopes it is everything I dream of. Spigen ArcHybrid Mag is the name and I've used their products a fair bit and they are always good quality. hoping this one is too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Geez. Last month I used 23GB of data
I can't even imagine. I don't know if I've used 23GB my entire iPhone-using life, 14+ years now.

Two things:

1) I'm on wifi everywhere I am/go anymore...outside of my car, it's hard to think of a place I don't go on any regular basis that my iPhone doesn't hop onto the wifi upon arrival. If I'm in a parking lot or walking somewhere and check an email or send a photo, that might be the only time I use my cellular data. That's a drop in the bucket, as I don't hang out in parking lots or use my phone while walking.

2) I'm never so hard-up for entertainment/distraction that I "consume' via cellular. I know better than to sit and watch YouTube, stream music or movies, excessively surf, etc. over cellular with the plan I have. I usually have a little doodle pad or crossword with me, so that's what I do on those rare occasions/situations I'm not on wifi (and not already doing something else).

That's why I can have a 300MB plan and barely even use 1/3 of that on any given month (I seem to hover between 45-90MB of monthly usage, looking at my usage graph in my AT&T customer account).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-17, 14:52

I use about 1-1.5GB a month, even though my plan has 11GB. Most of it was added to my account at no extra cost ($45 Cdn a month). Most of it is stuff I upload to my company website, and the stupid auto play videos on so many sites.

I had a product RED iPhone 13 in my ‘bag’ this morning, but dropped it. I’ll wait till next spring and see them in person, the trade in really is the best way to lower the cost when you buy up front.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-17, 16:33

I use about 3 GB on average. My plan offers 6; I’m getting bumped to 10(?) when I get my new iPhone in a few weeks.

It goes up a lot, obviously, with things like outages to the landline connection.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 17:14

Man, I'm doing it wrong...

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-17, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Man, I'm doing it wrong...

I mean, one huge difference is that you mention a car. I commute by public transport, and that's relaxing in a way but also kinda boring. I spend much of that time scrolling through Twitter, reading RSS feeds, etc. I.e., using cellular bandwidth.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 17:55

That's a huge part of it. Where I live, the outer suburbs of Chattanooga, far from all the bus lines, taxies, trolleys, etc. of downtown, you're in a car to get anywhere. I can certainly walk or bike, but I'm not going to carry 5-6 bags of groceries for two miles, up and down hilly neighborhoods, most with with no dedicated sidewalk, let's be reasonable.

So, yeah...I'm not in my car a ton (and when I am it's hyper-local, darting here and there, 2-12 miles, roundtrip, for the most part. And maybe 1-2 times a week a trip of 15-30 miles roundtrip. But during those times, it automatically goes over to Do Not Disturb and I'm religious about not screwing with my phone while driving, so yeah...conveniently enough, it's never touched in the one place/scenario that I have only LTE/cellular connectivity.

Due to all that, the situation kinda solves itself. I'm only away from wifi while driving. And, while driving, I do not touch/use my phone. As a result, I really don't even have to try to stay (well) under that 300MB.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
My friends and other relatives freak when they hear what my data plan is (they've all got at least 1GB and most have more, or unlimited even), but that just tells me they're either a) overpaying for data they likely never really use, or b) way too damn attached to their iPhones (and, sadly, likely using them while driving). My sister and I go around and around about this, and I'm so afraid it's going to bite her one day.

"You have never sent or read a text, or posted one thing on Facebook, worth running off the road, T-boning another vehicle or wrapping yourself around a phone pole. Will you please reconsider this and stop doing it? For our mom's sake, and for your two kids?"

That conversation never goes the way I hope...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-17 at 18:17.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 18:37

Vehicle use is a thing when it comes to data use. Never while driving mind you. For me,the car is my office so to speak. No public WIFI where I go, mostly large estates boarding the agricultural land reserve. They aren’t giving away free network use, most don’t even like you plugging in power tools, let alone use their internet. How we got to this from the iPhone 13, I don’t recall.

I’m thinking I’ll go with product RED phones now, they go in a heavy duty case, so I never see the thing anyway. I’ve never seen them in the store, are they online only?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 18:50

I don't know. My stepmom got a product Red SE back in the spring, and I think she snagged it at the local AT&T store, but I'll have to check. I've never seen them in stores either.

EDIT: Just texted her, she ordered at/from the AT&T store and it shipped to her in about two weeks. She said they didn't have them in stock, on hand. I don't know if she meant ever/period, or just the day she was there. About all I know.

EDIT #2: A bit of Googling, I saw a blurb from some press release(?) saying Product RED iPhones are available from Apple's website, Apple Stores and carrier stores, so...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 19:07

Guess they just haven’t had them on display at the Apple store near me, or I just don’t remember. It has been 2 years since I’ve been to it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 19:16

I do have to say, hers is the only one I've ever seen in real life. But, as is often the case, it looks way better in person than any product shot on Apple.com or unboxing/review video I've seen on YouTube. It's richer and more "metal-y" than I realized. It's a nice-looking phone. She found a clear case for it because she was like "I don't wanna cover up this pretty red!"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 19:18

Holy crap, listen.

A few days later I find myself pretty unexcited about the new phones.

I feel that the NEXT bump to the phone design will be the bump that will budge me to a new model.

So right now I'm weighing hanging on with my OLD phone or buying an older phone straight from Apple and then being ready to trade it in when the iPhone 14 is release.

It feels completely like a "Pops" move, but it feels sensible.

QUESTION

If I buy a new OLD phone straight up, from Apple and they ship it to me immediately, can I just move the little SIM card over to the new phone myself or does my carrier need to do this physical part to connect the SIM to the IMEI number on the new (old) phone?

I feel so dumb asking this question.

But I feel pretty confident in the idea of staying put on my current phone or moving over to a new (old) phone.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 19:25

Might depend on your carrier, I've always just switched the SIM card and never given it thought.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 19:29

When I had to use my nephew's old yellow 5c back in late 2015 to early 2016 as a stopgap (before I got my SE), I did that very thing, drew. I took the SIM card from the iPhone 5 that I'd prematurely sold, set it aside for a few days and then put it into that yellow 5C and everything just worked. I never went to the AT&T store to have them do anything. it just showed up, showed the AT&T logo, worked as my phone, etc. for 5-6 months without an issue.

I am with/on AT&T, if that matters.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-17, 20:29

This is great news, thanks y'all!

Edit: I'm also on that carrier
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-21, 13:08

When did the cameras even out for the Pro as opposed to needing the "Max" to get the best cameras? Was that when they added the "Pro" moniker to the model name?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-09-21, 13:33

This is the first year, I think. For the 12 Pro models you had to go Max to get 'Sensor-shift optical image stabilization', now this year all the phones have it (even non-Pro).

[edit]: I'm wrong. Just checked and the 11 Pro & Max, and XS & XS Max had identical cameras between models.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2021-09-21 at 14:05.
chucker

2021-09-21, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
When did the cameras even out for the Pro as opposed to needing the "Max" to get the best cameras? Was that when they added the "Pro" moniker to the model name?
Some Plus models were different. The 12 Pro Max was also different than the 12 Pro.

They seem to go back and forth on it. The 13 is a year where the 13/13 mini are the same and the 13 Pro/13 Pro Max are, but, well, physics. Like, I don’t think Apple does this as an up sell for the Max (or the Plus before it). They do it because they need to fit more stuff in.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-21, 14:37

Interesting. I'm sure there is a logistical reason but then the price should reflect that and it never has. So this year seems like a great yer to get the upgrade if cameras are your focus. As Mrs T said, I'm getting a camera that has a phone attached to it. This is a good year for her so she's getting one.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-21, 16:45

I got the silicone MagSafe case for the 13 mini today and boy is it small. Definitely a big size difference between the 12 Pro and the 12 mini, which is what I was looking for.

Now just need to wait for the actual phone to come on Friday.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 08:05

If you're getting a new phone, read this.

I hate click bait but there does seem to be an acknowledged bug (and fix!) that impacts Apple Music. Macworld talks about it in this article or you can go here to the Apple Support page.

The short version, upgrade the iPhone/iPad after you get it and there is a patch waiting already. Still marked as v15.0 apparently.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-24, 09:21

Rumour has it that the ProRes video files for the Pro models use 6GB of storage per minute, if you plan to use often, max out the storage.
chucker

2021-09-24, 09:21

Apple Releases New iPhones With Critical Day-One Bug, Stock Tanks, Lawsuit Pending

Is 13 A Cursed Number? The New iPhones Seem To Suggest As Much!

"Apple No Longer Innovative," Says Area Man
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-24, 09:25

Thing is, you’re not that far off. Some nimrod(s) somewhere will surely make a big fuss over it and file a(nother) horseshit lawsuit.

It’s the national pastime and all some people know how to do when confronted with the slightest of life’s hiccups.

They have their billboard lawyer on speed dial.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Rumour has it that the ProRes video files for the Pro models use 6GB of storage per minute, if you plan to use often, max out the storage.
I'm going to have to test this once I get Mrs T moved over to the new phone. Likely won't happen until much later tonight given our schedule for the day/afternoon... but I'm looking forward to playing with this one.

chucker

2021-09-24, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Sounds plausible. But that means even with the highest configuration, you get about 170 minutes (and, really, less, because you'll have other stuff on your phone), and that's it.

I wonder what the ideal workflow is, there. That's ~100 MiB/s, which the iPhone's flash can probably handle with ease, but once you get into external storage, that becomes tricky. And forget about anything networked (except maybe 2.5GigE or 10GigE).

So you'll want another device with you to move clips to. And now you need a way to transfer, preferably without involving the Internet. Is hooking up a flash drive to the iPhone, then to an iPad or Mac feasible at all?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 11:53

It would be something like that I'm sure, iPhone to external storage.

I've worked with a film crew a number of times as the set photographer and it is surprising how short the actual individual film segments are. Since it is unlikely everything would be shot in a day, 100 minutes would be enough for most days of shooting from my experience. Granted, I was focusing on the set photos, not the video though.

chucker

2021-09-24, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It would be something like that I'm sure, iPhone to external storage.

I've worked with a film crew a number of times as the set photographer and it is surprising how short the actual individual film segments are. Since it is unlikely everything would be shot in a day, 100 minutes would be enough for most days of shooting from my experience. Granted, I was focusing on the set photos, not the video though.
Keep in mind you'll be doing multiple takes, and sorting those out at home, not on a small screen. Yeah, an individual clip will probably be a minute or less, but that adds up quickly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-24, 12:22

It is here!