Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Problem with password and repairing permissions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Problem with password and repairing permissions
elvia

2005-02-23, 22:00

Hey Brad
I read the sticky about repairing the hard drive and decided to repair my permissions. When It asked for my user name and password, I entered my info and it said that it was the wrong user name/ password. I only have one password and it works for everything else that asks for it. what do you thing it might be causing this
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 22:07

you shouldn't need your password to repair permissions... what exactly are you doing?
elvia

2005-02-23, 22:44

PAUL I was reading Brads and Hyperbole's post under the sticky note about repairing the hard drive and permissions. This is what it said when I pressed Repair Permissions. It also asked for my password and user name, which it said was wrong
Disk Utility stopped repairing permissions on “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

No valid packages
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 23:31

Okay... this is highly unusual behavior...
some more information would help. What hardware/software setup do you have? panther?
Are you booting off a CD to repair the disk or into single user mode?
Also, to make sure you are typing the correct user name, go to your "users" folder on the root directory of your hard drive and make sure the spelling of your user is the same as the one you input into the dialog (which really shouldn't be coming up in the first place...) Do you have any other users on the computer? is your account an administrator account?

This should shed some more light on the situation...

The "no valid packages" error probably refers to the fact that it is not looking in the correct "receipts" folder (or can't find it or it was emptied..) you didn't happen to go and poker around in any "library" folder did you? Install any software recently?

Oh, and judging from your post here you have some "major" issues with your installation...
with regard to InCrease... make sure that the CPU count is 1 (actual) and you have the latest version installed (2.0 b2)....
when you installed F@H, did you just download increase or did you use the "official" stanford client first?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2005-02-23 at 23:52.
elvia

2005-02-24, 20:56

Paul I have a 17" G4 Powerbook, 7 months old all the latest apple updates. version 10.3.8 1.5mhz and 1.5 gb ram. As far as booting, I just log onto my hard drive and go to applications, utilitys then disk utility and click on repair permissions, so, I guess I am using single user. Perhaps part of the problem might be that I purchased the pb from someone that closed their business and their name is listed in the root, along with mine..... If I click on any of the items listed there it says that I don't have sufficient access priviliges I am the only user. No, I haven't been in the library.
In regard to InCrease Yes it is on Actual. I listalled InCrease from the link here at AN. It is the latest version. Another problem I'm having is with the team name and my name being listed. In the preferenes tab, my name elviac and team number 39160 is correctly listed, but on the fahlog tail it is listed as no team number and anonymous as the user.
I need to get this straigntered out quick, because the wu only has 40 hours left to go.
thanks for the help
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-24, 21:47

alright... so "Perhaps part of the problem might be that I purchased the pb from someone that closed their business and their name is listed in the root, along with mine....." is the problem

go into your system preferences--->accounts--->your account--->security--->check "allow this user to administer this computer"

if that works then reboot and re-try to do everything you are having trouble with. It should work like a charm. If ANY other user is listed in the accounts prefpane, then the original owner of the machine still has an account on the computer and probably forgot to erase it when he sold it off... as such, he is still the "owner" and you are going to have to find out his password... or change it forcibly

I'll try to walk you through that if that is the case, but try the first thing before I get into that.

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
elvia

2005-02-24, 21:56

Ok the box was already checked... but I was able to sign in his name with the password they gave me and I was able to sign in, but a pop up screen says " Disk utility stopped repairing permissions on Macintosh HD because the following error was encountered
No Valid packages (-9997)
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-24, 22:01

did you launch Increase from under his account and check the settings? (that is the more pressing issue )
elvia

2005-02-24, 22:14

No, I always launch under my account.
If I launch under his name, the pref is still the same
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-24, 22:26

hmmm... very odd

well, lets try this.
boot off the OS X restore or install CD (hold C while booting) and in the apple menu look for the option to open disk utility
try to repair (both permissions and generally) the disk from there.

when you are done just reboot from the apple menu.

That still won't fix the InCrease problem...
get info on Increase and see what the owner/permissions say.