Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Free Newsgroup (Usenet) Posting Software

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Free Newsgroup (Usenet) Posting Software
nmkramer

2005-05-04, 01:34

Hey guys.

This community has been a great help in acclimating me to the Mac. I hope that someone can answer this rather obscure question, though.

I used post lots of concert audio to Usenet when I was using a PC. I used a great little app called Powerpost 2000 and it ran simply and effectively.

Since switching to Mac, I have tried several methods and have been dissatisfied.

First, I tried Cocoa Newspost and liked it a lot, but the registration fee of $20 is a downer.

Next, I tried MT-Newswatcher and it was functional, but complicated and I don't need a full featured news reader suite. That is also my complaint with Thoth, which is now discontinued.

I tried the Osiris plugin for both Thoth and MT-Newswatcher but this plugin also left much to be desired.

So aside from the above options, are there any easy-to-use Usenet posting apps that you'd recommend? If not, I think I'm going to shell out the 15 bucks and help a Mac developer out...

Thanks!
-Nate

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.

Last edited by nmkramer : 2005-05-04 at 01:39. Reason: Got a price wrong.
pck

2005-05-04, 01:48

Have you tried Thunderbird?
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-05-04, 02:00

Have you seen unison? It is a great application from Panic software. It isn't free either, but you should check it out before you go ahead and make a purchase.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
mattf

2005-05-04, 11:27

I would second the suggestion of Thunderbird. It's not exactly eye-candy, but it's more than capable as a simple Newsreader.
autodata
hustlin

2005-05-04, 11:35

I've used pan the most. You have to install it through fink and it's an x11 app, but it's the best one I've used, warts and all.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-04, 11:49

Unison is indeed very cool. Like Transmit (Panic's FTP application), you can use it for free for a limited trial before you have to pay.
nmkramer

2005-05-04, 12:48

Thanks guys. I had tried Thunderbird, and its quite functional. However I use Easynews to search newsgroups via HTML instead of a Newsreader for NNTP. However programs that function as simple and efficient binary posters are quite difficult to find. Your suggestions have been very helpful. Thanks!

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
nmkramer

2005-05-04, 12:59

Brad and Paul:

You guys are right about Unision. In many ways it is awesome. However it does not post binaries yet in the current version. I thought I should add this to the thread for anyone else who may come across my problem in the future.

autodata
hustlin

2005-05-04, 13:14

I've never been a big fan of unison. I can't remember all the things I didn't like (lack of binary support sounds like it was probably one of the problems), but I remember not being very impressed. Even though pan is not an os x application and can be hella awkward, it still ends up working much better.

Strangely, there was actually another one I tried not too long ago that I actually liked a lot (I think more than pan), but I can't remember at all what it was or anything about it. I'll have to look when I get home. I'm pretty sure it was on OS X.
omem

2005-05-04, 13:26

please forgive my ignorance but, what are newsgroups for?
nmkramer

2005-05-05, 00:05

Omen, Newsgroups are one way to communicate to a zillion people at a time. Practically every ISP has a collection of newsgroups. People can get recipes for cooking stuff, they can get illegal stuff that I shouldn't mention here , and in my case I can share badass concert images and music with people who share my preference for badass concerts.

See my above link to Easynews for more info.

Autodata, thanks for the Pan suggestion. Now I have to learn X11 and all that...

Also, if you happen to remember the name of that application please let me know. Thanks.