User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

help connecting to specific IP address

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
help connecting to specific IP address
attilio

2005-05-03, 14:29

Am trying to connect to this the IP address: 213.xxx.xxx am writing that specific the IP address in the Adress bar on microsoft Internet explorer and cannot connect to that the IP The loading bar connects very slowly and then the page cannot be displayed. Use windows XP SP2. When the go onto my brother in laws computer, I give the same thing and it connects to that IP address. Please let me know what to I give and how to adjust this problem. More If you need any information, just let me know.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-05-03, 14:31

moving to the Genius bar.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-03, 14:33

Thread title fixed. Please use something more descriptive than "help" in the future.
attilio

2005-05-03, 14:44

all the rest is works on my pc only that address not.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-03, 14:56

What service are you trying to access at that IP address? Is it an FTP server? File (SMB) server? Web server?

If you're not exactly sure, open Network Utility (at /Applications/Utilites), click the Port Scan tab, enter the IP address, and click scan. One of the listed services should be what you're trying to access.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
attilio

2005-05-03, 15:28

thanks Brad i am sorry i cant see (Network Utility )i am not good on pc.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-03, 15:32

Ah, never mind. Since you're posting on an Apple forum, I assumed you were using a Mac, not a PC...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-05-04, 11:39

Why the hell did you post three minutes apart? This is a message board, not a chat room.

I don't know how to fix your problem, sorry.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-04, 11:47

In the future, please use the button to modify your post instead of rapid-fire posting.

There's really not anything we can tell you without some more details about your and his setup. Besides, this is a Mac forum and we don't exactly specialize in tech support for Windows.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
attilio

2005-05-04, 11:54

sorry i am new here, thanks
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-05-04, 16:31

Open up a DOS prompt (Start Menu>Run>"cmd"). Type "ping 213.xxx.xxx". You should get a few lines of text. If you get "Reply from a.b.c.d: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128" or something like that (anything with "Reply from" as the beginning), then that means that you can see the other machine. If you dont get replies, then there is either some missing wires or something unplugged on either side (client or server), or the server is turned off/otherwise inaccessible to anyone.

If you were successful with a PING, the next thing to try is telnet, type "telnet 213.xxx.xxx... 80" (note the " 80" after the ip). If the DOS window blacks out, and the cursor moves to the top-left of the window, then you have successfully connected to the web page. At this point, it means IE is broken in some way; You can try a better browser, like Firefox. If telnet gave you an error message, copy it here and we can continue the investigation.

One thing I forgot, IP addresses aren't always globally visible. If the IP address begins with 169, 192, 10, or 127 (and there may be a few more) it wont be visible across the internet. 169s are automatically generated when a computer has no connection to any network; 192s and 10s are generally behind a NAT (which means that within the NAT, the 192 or 10 address is valid, but outside its not); 127 is the loopback. If your server is behind a NAT, you will have to modify your NAT settings to forward incoming connections on port 80 to the server's NAT ip, and outside people will have to connect to the NAT's ip (not the server's NAT ip, but the NAT's real global ip; confusing, aint it? i'm not really sure how to explain it without confusing myself).

oh, and i'm assuming this whole time that you are trying to connect to an http or web server (since u were using IE).
attilio

2005-05-05, 08:28

thuh Freak . when i ping I reseve time out to my pc .To my brother pc I reseve time out to but i still can connecting to tha IP.I did telnet to my pc e the dos windows blacks out and the cursor moves to the top-left of the windows. I try IE e also mozilla firefox with no result.thanks
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-05-05, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio
thuh Freak . when i ping I reseve time out to my pc .To my brother pc I reseve time out to but i still can connecting to tha IP.I did telnet to my pc e the dos windows blacks out and the cursor moves to the top-left of the windows. I try IE e also mozilla firefox with no result.thanks
i'm stumped. that's like the least likely of all possible situations I could have conceived. ping fails but port 80 half-work. you could retry telnet on port 80, and type "GET /" (without the quotes) and hit enter a few times. that's a simplified version of a web browser right there. the default home page for the site should be sent to your telnet window. if it works, it'll be raw html, and http headers. that would reinforce the idea that its a browser issue. i'm not sure really what else to do though.
attilio

2005-05-05, 10:17

I write telnet 213xxxxxxxxx get e i reseve could not open connection to the host on port