I'm tripping, I swear.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:17

http://www.break.com/articles/magichands.html
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 01:32

Tripping would be 'nice' while watching that.

Did the thought of (heh) *tentacles* ever flash through your mind?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:34

You're an evil, evil woman.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-17, 01:39

Welcome to TWO WEEKS AGO.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 01:41

fuck You I've Been Busy!

Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-11-17, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kickaha
You're an evil, evil woman.
Nah.

(Well, maybe just a *little*. )
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-17, 05:07

Why are Communist countries always really good at doing these types of displays/shows?
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-11-17, 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Thanks Brad... I thought the video was trippy at the time too.

Now if you were tripping, you might want to check out the tips from this helpful advice page.

Some good things to always remember:
  • 1) Cars can hurt you.
  • 2) You cannot fly.
  • 3) It's never a good time to die.
  • 4) Taking your clothes off will draw attention.
  • 5) Keep your mouth shut at all times while in public.
  • 6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that aren't there.
  • 7) Don't forget how to burp.
  • 8) Only carry: a house-key, some loose change, and your address in your shoe.
  • 9) Nobody can tell that you are tripping till you tell them "I'm tripping".
  • 10) No matter how fucked-up you think you are, you'll eventually come down.
geniuses.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-17, 07:12

Quote:
Is it meant to be pr0n?

Is that what the 'Magic Hands' reference is all about?
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-11-17, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Why are Communist countries always really good at doing these types of displays/shows?
I would suggest this is down to a few factors:

1. They might not be any better than the rest of the world, but because of our Western prejudices we are amazed when anything good comes out of a Communist country, and subconsciously exaggerate the quality of the performances.

2. Communist states look after their disabled citizens vastly better than countries like the UK. This care often takes the form of providing education and integrating such people into society, while in the UK we tend to pay money to have them locked in homes.

3. Communist countries had/have comprehensive education systems in which the arts were/are given serious attention. In the UK education is increasingly viewed as a means to an end, i.e. a good (=well paid) job, so the arts are given very poor public funding.

4. In a society that places high value on instant gratification, the immense sustained effort required for this level of achievement is not seen as worthwhile.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-11-17, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
I would suggest this is down to a few factors:

2. Communist states look after their disabled citizens vastly better than countries like the UK. This care often takes the form of providing education and integrating such people into society, while in the UK we tend to pay money to have them locked in homes.

3. Communist countries had/have comprehensive education systems in which the arts were/are given serious attention. In the UK education is increasingly viewed as a means to an end, i.e. a good (=well paid) job, so the arts are given very poor public funding.

4. In a society that places high value on instant gratification, the immense sustained effort required for this level of achievement is not seen as worthwhile.
That's just what they want you to think
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-11-17, 14:12

Quote:
And the work-friendly link for the win!

Score: Kick 1, Shadow 0.

EDIT: Score update: Kick 1, Shadow -1.

I just saw the page title "Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks" and figured I might not want to see it at work. Turns out I was about 110% off-base, so I lose another point.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2005-11-17 at 16:55. Reason: ShadowOfGed tripped over his own grenade.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2005-11-17, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
Some good things to always remember:
  • 1) Cars can hurt you.
  • 2) You cannot fly.
  • 3) It's never a good time to die.
  • 4) Taking your clothes off will draw attention.
  • 5) Keep your mouth shut at all times while in public.
  • 6) Although you may see things that are not there, you won't NOT see things that aren't there.
  • 7) Don't forget how to burp.
  • 8) Only carry: a house-key, some loose change, and your address in your shoe.
  • 9) Nobody can tell that you are tripping till you tell them "I'm tripping".
  • 10) No matter how fucked-up you think you are, you'll eventually come down.
geniuses.
Actually, in my experience, this advice is pretty much spot on. I've done the car one ('shrooms, thought we were in an empty car park, the sudden appearance of cars hurtling past at 100 k's revealed we were, in fact, wandering up the middle of a major highway).

But The Mason has a doozey of a story dating back to the surfin' sixties that amply demnstrates 2 and 3. He and a friend had gone to the coast for a weekend's surfing. After setting up camp some distance inland, they dropped a couple of trips and went to check the surf, arriving at a suicidally high cliff edge.

So The Mason's mate says to him, "Can I jump off this cliff?"

Now what he really meant was "I'm convinced I can launch myself off this precipice and not die by defying gravity but I know I'm tripping and my judgement could be a bit screwy, so I just thougt I'd get a second opinion before trying it out."

The Mason interpreted it as a rhetorical question: "Can I, in theory, jump off this cliff?" So he says, "Sure." At which point the other guy hurls himself over the edge.

In a Looney Tunes™ meets Real Life™ moment, a piece of the dude's clothing gets snagged on a stunted tree growing out the side of the cliff, arresting his fall and leaving him dangling a few feet below the edge. After the obligatory Comedy Gold Trip Freak Out,
("You bastard! You said I could jump."
"I didn't mean it literally, you idiot. You're tripping. You should know to be suspicious of any bright ideas based on possession of super human powers."
"That's why I was checking with you!")
he was hauled to safety.

Proof of point 4. An old boyfriend of mine decided to give datura a try after reading Carlos Castenada (now widely recognized as not exactly the most factually authoritative work on the use of psychedelics and hallucinogens). He was down on the south coast of NSW when he put the plan into effect but, after ingesting various plant parts, remembers nothing until many hours later when he was picked up by a Good Samaritan (acting above and beyond the call of duty IMO) on the highway, half way back to Canberra, wearing nothing but his underpants.

When I was at uni in the early eighties, somebody broke into the John Curtin School of Medical Research (JCSMR) and stole some vials of pharmaceutical grade LSD they had stashed away for "research purposes". I didn't get to have any although The Mason did. Suffice to say, the experiences of numerous individuals who looped out on that stuff while it was floating around, provide plenty of evidence as to the veracity of the remaining points.

Somebody stole a chimpanzee from the JCSMR once too. They thought the chimp would fetch a good price from the right buyer. Which may well have been true but the market for hot chimps is rather more specialized and considerably smaller than the market for, say, hot VCRs. Chimpy proved to be quite a handful. Oddly enough, this was done while the person concerned was not under the influence of pharmaceutical grade LSD.