User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC Drama bomb!


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC Drama bomb!
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What did I do, again?





No, bobsky, I'm pretty sure the "stupidity" started when you repeatedly called me an asshat for what everybody else understood to be a harmless joke. Nobody else thought my joke (presented here, for the record, in its entirety: "oh, too slow / waaaah waaaaaah!") was out of line — not even Brad, who was the "target" of it.
I am nothing if not honest. The whole haha-too slow thing irks me regardless of who does it. It is asshattery at the finest. If it was anyone else that night I would have called them out just the same. It has nothing to do with you.

Quote:
I'll be blunt, since you dislike tact: I don't think you really get jokes. Like, in general. I think you have trouble understanding when people are joking and when people are being genuinely mean. This isn't the first time you've read too much into one of my jokes, or taken them seriously.
Or perhaps I just don't think you are funny? Sorry to say, but that is probably the truth of the matter. It strikes me that you like to attribute specific interactions that you and I have to the general public. This will come up again in a second.

Quote:
Based on your behavior in the days leading up to the incident, I think you disliked me beforehand, and I think this colored your perception of my joke/asshattery.
Fascinating, really. Because I don't actually dislike you. I don't generally engage with people I dislike, particularly when it is about something they have done that bothers me in general about them. The reason is that there are somethings you cannot fix and what's the point engaging them if there is no benefit to it. Regardless of how much I like conflict, endless goalless conflict has never been my cup of tea. It's why I don't post at AI anymore. I couldn't deal with the fact that the arguments put forward today are the same arguments put forward by the same players ten years ago. That gets wearing.

Quote:
I think there's an established pattern of you overreacting here, just like you overreacted when people told you your "Tim Cook bored Steve Jobs to death" joke was in poor taste, and just like you overreacted when I tweeted that I didn't want to post personal stuff here any more because of you (which turned out to be prescient).
Its interesting that you think I overreact whenever I am engaging you in particular. Perhaps you don't get me. No, that's obvious, you don't. But while the entire world decided that my posts were anathema after SJ's death, you will find that I didn't actually respond to many charges back at me. (There are a total of 7 posts by me between those 2 threads, 1 is the joke, 1 is a response to the response in the joke thread, 2 are my non-joking response to the death, 1 is the response to the response to my simple statements, and 2 are fluff responses of no content) I did try to engage those that left comments on their negative rep giving via PM because I honestly wanted to know what was so bad about them. I still am not sure the response makes sense to me, but whatever. No one responded to my serious inquiries and it ended there. To call this an over reaction is perhaps more telling of you than of me, and I do think it is quite telling.



Quote:
If you were trying to "call" me on it, as you put it, you didn't do a very good job, because you just kept saying I was an asshat, and nobody knew why. Since, y'know, nobody else thought I had done anything wrong in the slightest. You just repeatedly called me an asshat for reasons that only made sense inside your head.
I did tell you when asked. And you incredulously responded "is that it? really?" or something to that effect.


But whatever.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2012-01-15 at 20:46.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-01-15, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I am nothing if not honest.
See, this is what's bothered me, throughout this whole thing. You keep on saying you're nothing if not honest, you value honesty above all else, and you feel totally justified in your actions. But right after Rowdy's house blew up, when Rowdy accused you of doing it, you lied about it. If you value honesty so much, if you're nothing if not honest, and if your actions were totally justifiable, why did you lie?

That's the only hypocrisy I see, in this whole ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
Or perhaps I just don't think you are funny?
Not thinking I'm funny is perfectly acceptable. Nobody's on you for not finding my jokes funny. Flipping out and calling me an asshat because you don't understand when jokes are jokes is different. Again, I know you're not this dense, so stop it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
See, this is what's bothered me, throughout this whole thing. You keep on saying you're nothing if not honest, you value honesty above all else, and you feel totally justified in your actions. But right after Rowdy's house blew up, when Rowdy accused you of doing it, you lied about it. If you value honesty so much, if you're nothing if not honest, and if your actions were totally justifiable, why did you lie?

That's the only hypocrisy I see, in this whole ordeal.
I was waiting for this. It was evident that I set the tnt. I was surprised that RS had to guess that it was me particularly as I walked in front of him to set the tnt. The only players on at the time were me, you, RS and Brad and the two other amigos were certainly not going to do it. What I needed to have happen at that point was to get RS admitting to assisting in the lightning strike, because while it was clear that he was to me and brad, I wanted to read it from him. The conversation followed that path as planned.

So while it is most certainly a lie, it was one chosen because 1) it was obviously a lie and 2) I wanted to lead the conversation down a particular path. Hypocrisy sure. But an ill-effective lie to get at another truth is (only sometimes) justified in my mind.




Quote:
Not thinking I'm funny is perfectly acceptable. Nobody's on you for not finding my jokes funny. Flipping out and calling me an asshat because you don't understand when jokes are jokes is different. Again, I know you're not this dense, so stop it.
I don't think anyone seriously trolls other players when they mock the failure to say goodbye on time. I still think the act (even as a 'joke') is atrocious.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-01-15, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I was waiting for this. It was evident that I set the tnt. I was surprised that RS had to guess that it was me particularly as I walked in front of him to set the tnt. The only players on at the time were me, you, RS and Brad and the two other amigos were certainly not going to do it. What I needed to have happen at that point was to get RS admitting to assisting in the lightning strike. The conversation followed that path as planned.

So while it is most certainly a lie, it was one chosen because 1) it was obviously a lie and 2) I wanted to lead the conversation down a particular path. Hypocrisy sure. But an ill-effective lie to get at another truth is (only sometimes) justified in my mind.
So you lie when it suits your purposes. Got it.

Sorry, but that's not what honesty is. Maybe you could try another word? "I am nothing if not manipulative," perhaps.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-01-15, 21:09

I was stuck in void, so saw the TNT and redstone torch appear in front of me. Funny, though - you TNTed my house to get me to admit it? So you griefed me and you weren't actually sure I was involved? Now I DO think the ban was necessary - I hadn't thought the in-game actions justified it as of yet, but that admission changes everything.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 21:15

Jack I am honest to a deficit.

I would not have lied if it wasn't clear I placed the tnt. Why would I? My entire purpose for placing it was to get back at RS for ill-assiting Brad's retribution. His knowledge of that fact was critical to cause him to think twice about doing it again. That was the goal.

I am not for getting other people in trouble for things I have done....

Last edited by billybobsky : 2012-01-15 at 21:38.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
I was stuck in void, so saw the TNT and redstone torch appear in front of me. Funny, though - you TNTed my house to get me to admit it? So you griefed me and you weren't actually sure I was involved? Now I DO think the ban was necessary - I hadn't thought the in-game actions justified it as of yet, but that admission changes everything.
No I knew you were involved RS. I knew you had tl'd back to *somewhere* presumably your home after sinking off shore (this is why you were in the void, after all, correct?). You said 'he's open' accidentally in chat (i guess meaning to whisper it to brad) not seconds before the lightning strike. Again, I wanted you to admit it, because I don't think you would have if I had come at you after setting the tnt. You after all aren't capable of generating lightning strikes yourself and could have argued you happened to be next to the atoll, and happened to say 'he's open' in chat just when Brad decided to strike. But to get around the bullshit, I manipulated you into admitting culpability.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2012-01-15 at 21:28.
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-01-15, 21:29

Sure I would have - why wouldn't I? You'd said lightning wouldn't strike you because you weren't an asshat. Why would I not help to make that hilarity if I could do it in a relatively harmless way? If I'd known you'd gone inside, I wouldn't have given Brad the clear, but I'd have kept looking for a time when you were in the open.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 21:30

Because by that point damage was done to both of our projects? And it was looking like the cluster-fuck this thread has become?

Perhaps I underestimated the apparent humor in well-deserved comeuppance, but at the time I wasn't finding any of it funny. Still don't.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2012-01-15, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Yet another core piece of me exposed. Great.
WTF? You volunteered that information. You chose to expose that piece of you, so I don't see how you can possibly act like you don't like that it's exposed. You weren't somehow forced to volunteer that information against your will.

I'm done here. This thread took a turn for the weird. We're not as stupid as you think, bobsky. (And yes, I know, you say you don't think you're better than anyone, rah rah, but actions speak louder than words, and you keep on acting like we're all idiots.) Nobody likes being manipulated, and I think that's what you're doing, with your little conversational "paths" and traps and games.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Great Bay Temple
Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-01-15, 21:35

Why would that stop me from openly admitting it? The only reason I was hiding anything was because lightning randomly striking you during a thunderstorm after you'd made the comment that it wouldn't would have been fucking hilarious.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
WTF? You volunteered that information. You chose to expose that piece of you, so I don't see how you can possibly act like you don't like that it's exposed. You weren't somehow forced to volunteer that information against your will.

I'm done here. This thread took a turn for the weird. .
Quite right. I am going to change the post. I am tired guys...

Quote:
We're not as stupid as you think, bobsky. (And yes, I know, you say you don't think you're better than anyone, rah rah, but actions speak louder than words, and you keep on acting like we're all idiots.) Nobody likes being manipulated, and I think that's what you're doing, with your little conversational "paths" and traps and games
Edit: Didn't see this edit (tiredness). I am not trying to manipulate you right now, nor throughout this thread.

I don't think you are dumb, Robo. I don't think that anyone else on this forum is either. I think the level of expressiveness shown here is a testament to everyone's intelligence. I don't dumb down my posts because I know everyone can follow them (when they are well written, which is pretty rare, admittedly). I know for a fact that I wouldn't stick around if this place didn't provide some challenge in the discourse. I like it here. I like the people here.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2012-01-15 at 21:56.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2012-01-15, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Why would that stop me from openly admitting it? The only reason I was hiding anything was because lightning randomly striking you during a thunderstorm after you'd made the comment that it wouldn't would have been fucking hilarious.
The fact is that I didn't know how malicious your intentions were. All I knew at the time is that a fire was started because I was struck by lightning because you and Brad conspired to get back at me. I realized you both had probably wanted to deny culpability for *humor* value. But that failed with the 'he's open' slip up. Then there was the question of whether you would deny it because damage was done. Maybe I misjudged.
  quote
709
¡Damned!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Purgatory
 
2012-01-16, 12:44

This is stupid.

Brad and Rowdy were stupid in conspiring to zap bobsky, bobsky was stupid to react in the way that he did, and turtle was stupid in handing out a grossly disproportionate ban.

You're all stupid. Happy? Now shut the fuck up and get along.

bobsky, I'll act as temp conservator to the atoll until you come back, but you are coming back. To leave MC completely because of this of all things is ridiculous.

So it goes.
  quote
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-01-16, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Simple truth here:

Two contrasting personalities clashed in game. Several idiotic incidents played out in ever escalating order. We've now lost one of the veteran, prolific community builders and have created enough of a shitstorm to turn off those on the sidelines.

Nobody is covering themselves in any glory here, and the point needs to be dropped for a while instead of constantly trying to get the last word in.
This is probably where this thread should have died. I'll open it up in a few days, but really, nothing worthwhile is coming out of this thread at this point, is it? If in 48 hours there is more that needs to be said I'll have it unlocked, for now though, this is just a train wreck of stupid.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3] 

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gift Drama, Need Advice [NOT about my mum!] Robo AppleOutsider 25 2010-03-20 19:29
Chinese iTunes Drama PKIDelirium General Discussion 7 2008-08-28 21:29
Jet Blue LAX landing drama... pscates2.0 AppleOutsider 30 2005-09-25 10:14


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:20.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2020, AppleNova