User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 2.0

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2.0
canyon_Carver

2007-02-08, 13:57

Apple is on its way....almost hit it perfect.

The next huge wave of technology and design is the truly portable gaming/phone/music/video/internet/data device.

I think the iPhone will become much larger than people think...but it lacks ONE vital attribute to consolidate--Large Storage. And yes I know that "large storage" requires physical space, and "large storage, small space" = lots of money & Lots of Power

But Apple, for my money...(which you already have a lot of)....I ask you for expansion...HOW ABOUT a P2 Card Slot for the iphone? Slim...a bit pricy, high speed storage (640mpb/s) Nearly indestructible--Or some other wireless-connectivity- HIGH capacity storage for the iPhone.

I am hoping that the iphone is finally the link that will connect my "iLife" from work to home and get rid of my following collection of devices:
1. Cell Phone
2. iPod
3. External FW Harddrive (80Gb) --

Any other suggestions everyone?

Last edited by canyon_Carver : 2007-02-08 at 14:30.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-08, 14:00

and most importantly:

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-02-08, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

and most importantly:

Don't forget

and

and
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-02-08, 14:05

plus
Wrao
Yarp

2007-02-08, 14:10

I'd say 7. is really more of a 5a and could be included as such.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-08, 14:14

Yeah, but 3. won't be that great until Rev B. You know how it is with Apple. Lots of kinks to work out.

I for one can't wait for 4c.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-02-08, 14:56

Wow, and I coulda had a v8. Guess I'll have to wait though.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-02-10, 06:05

The largest flash drive currently available is 8 GB. But by the end of the year there should be a 16 GB flash drives available, and 32 GB by the end of next year (assuming current trends continue). So don't get your panties in a knot.
chucker

2007-02-10, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
The largest flash drive currently available is 8 GB. But by the end of the year there should be a 16 GB flash drives available, and 32 GB by the end of next year (assuming current trends continue). So don't get your panties in a knot.
Irrelevant, since Apple doesn't use flash drives. They use individual chips.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2007-02-10, 09:26

Quote:
Not true, in the least.
sportsfanMAW

2007-02-11, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375 View Post

Yeah for $5000, so what's that put the iphone at? like $5500 lol!
flail

2007-02-12, 00:20

Quote:

Wrong. 16GB flash drives are already available. They are not thousands of dollars, rather in the $300's, which still put them a little outside the realm of practicality for consumer devices.

32GB are also available for around a grand.
chucker

2007-02-12, 02:49

Need I point out, again, that "flash drives" are completely irrelevant to iPods and iPhones?

The only thing relevant is that the price per capacity of individual flash chips go down. E.g., if Apple can fit (dimensions-wise) four flash chips in their iPhone, and if each of them costs $50 @ 2 GBs, that makes for the 8 GBs higher-end configuration. If, within a few months, the price goes down by 50%, they make significantly more net margin. Another few months later, they will then proceed to double the capacity.
FXIAN

2007-02-12, 05:56

hey man....

just wondering...what type of signal does this one receive...CDMA,GPRS, 3G?

cheers,
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-02-12, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail View Post
Wrong. 16GB flash drives are already available. They are not thousands of dollars, rather in the $300's, which still put them a little outside the realm of practicality for consumer devices.

32GB are also available for around a grand.
Argh showing my ignorance again Well then it's about scale of production and relative cost, right? Towards the end of the year 16 GB and 32 GB NAND flash memory chips will be a bit more practical, whereas they aren't really at the moment. The cost of iPhone is already quite high and 4 GB and 8 GB models will probably suit most users for now anyway.

*will do some research next time before posting*
chucker

2007-02-12, 06:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXIAN View Post
hey man....

cheers,
Apple's iPhone? GSM, GPRS, EDGE, WiFi. No 3G, no CDMA.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-02-12, 06:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXIAN View Post
hey man....

cheers,
Easily available from the Apple website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html
GSM Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
It doesn't receive 3G yet, but expect this in future models.

(Why is EDGE listed under Wireless data instead of GSM?)
chucker

2007-02-12, 06:28

Quote:
(Why is EDGE listed under Wireless data instead of GSM?)
Because EDGE (and GPRS, which it replaces) is purely for data transmission and works on top of GSM.