User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Can I Keep an MBP in a Drawer?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can I Keep an MBP in a Drawer?
noleli2

2008-08-06, 20:09

Whenever the next MBP update happens (which unfortunately looks like it'll be after I start grad school in the fall), I'm going to pick up whatever comes out. I'm still debating between a MacBook and a Pro (because I'd prefer a 12" MBP, which isn't going to happen), but my specific question is this:

I'm considering keeping whatever I get closed and in a drawer, hooked up to an external keyboard and monitor on my desk, but I'm concerned about heat. I know they are designed to run closed when hooked up to an external monitor, but I'm worried that being in a drawer might be limiting airflow a little too much. If there is a hole in the back large enough for cables, is that enough ventilation?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-08-06, 20:13

You can always just check the temperatures with iStat and add more ventilation if needed... but why do you want to keep a pretty computer in a drawer?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-06, 20:28

Poor ventilation + surroundings likely made of an insulator (wood perhaps?) = sounds like a really bad idea to me. Unless the "hole in the back" lines up directly with and is at least as large as the computer's vents, I wouldn't try this for very long.

Also, seconding ABB's question: why close it up in a drawer?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-08-06, 20:40

I'm thinking he's concerned about theft.
noleli2

2008-08-06, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I'm thinking he's concerned about theft.
Nope. I just have a vision of a beautifully minimalist desk with a 22-24" monitor in the corner, a keyboard on a pull-out tray, and not much else. External HDD and MBox will go in the big file drawer below the top drawer with the laptop. Or at least theoretically---I don't want my stuff to melt.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2008-08-06, 22:00

You know what I really like? iMacs.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-08-06, 22:31

Just try and see how it goes. If after a couples of minutes you can feel a temperature difference, get it out of there... or maybe just throw some ice pack in your drawer.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-08-06, 23:15

An ice pack sounds kind of messy.... perhaps one of those USB-powered cooling pads with fans would fit in the drawer as well?
SarieMay

2008-08-07, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
You know what I really like? iMacs.
I agree. If you are going to spend the money on a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc, then you may as well just get an iMac and then get a lower end MB/MBP for travel or whatever you would need to use the laptop for.

I'm assuming that you want some kind of portable computer since you are willing to hook up a monitor to the MBP, but like the others, I see no point in putting such a pretty computer in a drawer.

Do you even really need the separate monitor? Wouldn't a minimalistic desk mean having a laptop that you can put in a drawer (or on the keyboard tray) when you aren't using it or being able to close it up and put it in a corner (where you would want the monitor, anyway).

Food for thought?
artesc

2008-08-07, 10:12

i agree with the iMac suggestion. if you debating whether or not you need a macbook or a macbook pro you probably don't really need the mbp. get an iMac and a macbook for travel. of course, you'll have to keep two computers in sync, but that's not too hard.

artesc all the way!
noleli2

2008-08-07, 10:19

The iMac is an interesting suggestion, but I absolutely hate the idea of having more that one computer. Maybe a drawer is a bad idea, but I'm sure I'll figure something out, even if it is just using the laptop on the desk.

Thanks!
artesc

2008-08-07, 10:48

well, you could probably modify the desk drawer so that it allows proper airflow. cut out the back and part of the inside that isn't visible. anyways, let us know what you decide on.

artesc all the way!
noleli2

2008-08-07, 11:27

It'll be a few months because I need to wait for the new stuff, but I'm definitely thinking about drilling out the back of the drawer. I also ended up with a USB-powered fan pad, although it's kinda loud.

Of course this also depends on whether or not I decide to shell out the >$250 for a monitor.

For my reference, what are safe temperature ranges to watch for in iStat?
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-08-07, 15:21

You could rig up an easy rack that would allow you to hang the laptop on the backside of the desk with the bottom facing out - that would allow for some excellent ventilation - as long as it's not directly over a heater vent. Just use some kind of U-shaped track that is sturdy enough to hold the computer and attach it with some stout adhesive, or mechanical fasteners (AKA rivets or screws). One channel on the bottom and one down each side - you'll have to cut some access holes in the side for connections - and you're done.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-08-07, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
well, you could probably modify the desk drawer so that it allows proper airflow. cut out the back and part of the inside that isn't visible. anyways, let us know what you decide on.
Sounds like the way to go. Remove the back of the drawer entirely and any panel it would come into contact with when closed. Otherwise I would suggest you simply try it for a while and then probe the temperature to see if it seems feasible.
noleli2

2008-08-12, 21:52

I'm thinking maybe I could get something like this:

They're actually not that expensive. $40-$50, maybe. I'll have to see what Apple announces next month and how my setup (and finances) shape up.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-08-13, 15:54

Is that thing specifically designed for heat dissipation, etc.? MBPs tend to get very warm on the bottom; as others have said above, I'd really think twice (and then a third time) about sticking one in a closed desk drawer.
noleli2

2008-08-13, 17:10

It looks to me like the bottom is grate-like, so heat dissipation out the bottom shouldn't be a problem. There'd also be space between the top of the laptop and the underside of the desk.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-08-14, 01:41

You realize warm air rises, not falls...
noleli2

2008-08-14, 05:19

Yes, I am quite aware. I was just responding to apple007.