AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 2.0 Problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2.0 Problems
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-14, 14:07

I don't know if this is a "problem" so much as a complaint - why in the world can't you play music from your "iPod" while using apps? I can play my "iPod" app, then surf the web with Mobile Safari, like always. But if you go into a 3rd party app, it fades and pauses as it would if you accepted a phone call.

You can play your iPod's music when playing games on a non-"iPhone or iPod Touch" iPod. Why not now?

Now I understand that Apple isn't letting 3rd party apps run in the background (polling workaround aside). But this is the inverse proposition.

And it's very annoying, because I'm much less likely to play games ala Texas Hold 'Em if my only choices are silence or the canned crappy music. The main reason I was looking forward to 2.0 apps was so I could leave my DS lite at home on my subway commute.

Alas.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-14, 15:39

Hmmm....I don't have that App but I just tried playing a song and then going into the facebook app and it kept playing. Maybe when the App has music, it overrides the iPod.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-14, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Hmmm....I don't have that App but I just tried playing a song and then going into the facebook app and it kept playing. Maybe when the App has music, it overrides the iPod.
Could be (I'll have to play around with a few more apps) but in the iPod (non-touch/phone) version of that game - and any other game I played - you had the option to turn off the "game music" and then the music that is playing on your iPod keeps going. With the apps I've tried so far that have "game music," turning off the game music just leaves the audio silent (except for FX if that is a separate control).

From your report, though, I'll have to revise my complaint -- sounds like my gripe is with the 3rd party apps themselves, not the way the iPhone handles the iPod app and 3rd party apps.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-17, 14:04

Update: you can play music during Texas Hold 'Em, Super Monkey Ball, and the like, but you have to fool the iPhone a bit.

Play whatever playlist/album/etc you want to listen to, exit the iPod app, then start Texas Hold 'Em. The music will fade out like you were getting a call. Start playing, then click your headset button once - that will start your music up.

It's a little odd, because what's apparently happening is the music is paused. You can unpause it with the clicker, or by quitting the game and going to the iPod app and reopening (but that takes you back to square one). But you can't do the "double-click home button" trick to bring up iPod controls... because music isn't actually "playing" at the moment. So you're basically fooling your iPhone to do something that shouldn't be this obscure or complicated.
King Kovifor

Send a message via AIM to King Kovifor Send a message via MSN to King Kovifor Send a message via Yahoo to King Kovifor  
2008-07-17, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
Update: you can play music during Texas Hold 'Em, Super Monkey Ball, and the like, but you have to fool the iPhone a bit.

Play whatever playlist/album/etc you want to listen to, exit the iPod app, then start Texas Hold 'Em. The music will fade out like you were getting a call. Start playing, then click your headset button once - that will start your music up.

It's a little odd, because what's apparently happening is the music is paused. You can unpause it with the clicker, or by quitting the game and going to the iPod app and reopening (but that takes you back to square one). But you can't do the "double-click home button" trick to bring up iPod controls... because music isn't actually "playing" at the moment. So you're basically fooling your iPhone to do something that shouldn't be this obscure or complicated.
I have been able to use the double click on the home button for my iPod Touch.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-17, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovifor View Post
I have been able to use the double click on the home button for my iPod Touch.
I'll guess that's because you don't receive "calls" on the Touch (since it appears that with iPhone, you have to fool it into thinking you're ending a call).
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-18, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
I'll guess that's because you don't receive "calls" on the Touch (since it appears that with iPhone, you have to fool it into thinking you're ending a call).
You can also set what the Home button does on the iPhone. Go to Settings -> General -> Home Button. You can set it so the iPod controls show up every time you double click the Home button.

[edit]
I've found more often than not, if I'm in the iPod piece of the iPhone and it goes dormant, when I slide to unlock, it opens the iPod screen, which then goes away and I'm left at the home screen. In previous releases, it's stayed on the iPod screen. It doesn't do this every time, only 90+% of the time.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2008-07-18, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
You can also set what the Home button does on the iPhone. Go to Settings -> General -> Home Button. You can set it so the iPod controls show up every time you double click the Home button.
That doesn't work in this context. If I am playing music on the iPod app then enter a game (such as Texas Hold Em), the music fades out. If I double click the Home button, then the game app quits and I'm taken to the iPod full app (or the contact favorites, or home, depending on how you've set it up). It will not bring up iPod controls because the iPod is not playing.

BUT, if you do what I suggest above (start playing music, then start the game -- then click the earbud button once, which will start the music back up), then the double click of the Home button will bring up the iPod controls.

That's why it appears that the game launch doesn't really just "pause" the music in the usual sense (the double-home-click would work then), it pauses it in the way it would if you were answering a phone call.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-18, 08:23

Very weird then.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-07-18, 16:47

Something I've noticed, and that I'm not digging, is the overall lag/pokiness... particularly when doing something as simple/basic as accessing my address book within the phone model. Scrolling takes a second or two to kick in (used to be instant), then clicking on the person's name results in another 1-2 lag before I see their info. Again, this used to be really snappy and instant, scrolling through contacts and clicking on one.

It seems like v2.0 has drizzled this in molasses.

Opening up the settings/prefs section is also slow/delayed, as is the text messaging thing. Basically opening most every app/component...definitely not as snappy and "instant" as before v2.0.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-07-18, 17:57

I still do not have contacts linked to the phone functions. Eventhough I have reloaded all my contacts, in oming calls are not bring identified nor did favorites get rebuilt. Any ideas how to fix? Sounds now more like a 2.0 software glitch.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
luxuryreplica

2008-07-18, 19:28

I'm having some diffficulties with Safari, literally crashing about a minute or two after I launch it. Also in my mail application, the content never downloads, and when I hit download it just lags (Had the same issue in Version 1 as well though)It actually is just faster to load gmail through Safari.
Overall, its just safari crashing a lot.Very annoying.
I also experienced a few UI glitches in Safari as well...
And to think of it, the iPod function sometimes just stops playing a song and skips to the next,...not sure if its the music I downloaded or what, but tat was strange as well...
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-18, 22:45

Threads like this -- and 'jcoley2's scary deleted contacts episode in the MobileMe thread -- are exactly why I'm no longer an early adopter. I run my business off my PB and my iPhone; I just can't risk/afford issues like some of the things I've read in the 10.5 and iPhone 2.0 and MobileMe threads.

I love Apple's vision and innovation, but it seems like iPhone 1.0, Mac OS X 10.5, iPhone 2.0 and MobileMe were more like public betas than ready-for-prime-time releases. Some of this stuff is just silly: Disappearing contacts? Apple doesn't know what "push" means?

I'm all for developing the latest and greatest, but I wish Apple would be more conservative with their release schedules so things are a little tighter on release. "Snow Leopard" looks like a step in the right direction. Hopefully that effort toward efficiency will cross over to all of Apple's products.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-19, 05:24

Well finally my contacts must have reindexed to my phone functions. There must have been a massive delay in this occuring since this morning I went to look at one of my groups in my contacts for a phone number and my group was completely empty. After a few minutes the group finally refresshed itself and populated. About 20 minutes later I noticed my favorites and VM pages change from just phone numbers to now names. Finally!!!!

Now I have a new bug: safari will not go in landscape mode. Ugh!!!

Since the upgrade to 2.0 I am noticing that the applications are very sluggish. I am guessing the new changes and enhancements are very big and slowing the CPU down. In fact one of the reasons I chose not to upgrade to 3G is that it does not appear that the CPU has been upgraded. (I went to the apple store and ran a bunch of test side by side and did not a difference. I talked to one of the genius bar guys whoM told me that while he could not confirm it he thought they had not upgraded the CPU.

T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2008-07-19, 06:48

Same with my touch, like everyone else has reported. Scrolling takes seconds to start, the keyboard lags for the first few letters, and apps have been rather crashing. I hope 2.0.1 does something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
. . . I talked to one of the genius bar guys whoM told me that while he could not confirm it he thought they had not upgraded the CPU.
[English]
Is it indeed whom in that sense ? I had asked my English teacher about the M in this case, and she debated it like I did: since who'm' does the telling, it is who. But this intersentence case is confusing.

I talked to the GB guys, who told me...
I talked to the GB guys, whom I gave...
[/English]
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-07-19, 07:08

[ot]

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
Is it indeed whom in that sense ?
No. jcoley2's use of whom, in this case, is incorrect.

[/ot]
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-21, 07:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Something I've noticed, and that I'm not digging, is the overall lag/pokiness... particularly when doing something as simple/basic as accessing my address book within the phone model. Scrolling takes a second or two to kick in (used to be instant), then clicking on the person's name results in another 1-2 lag before I see their info. Again, this used to be really snappy and instant, scrolling through contacts and clicking on one.

It seems like v2.0 has drizzled this in molasses.

Opening up the settings/prefs section is also slow/delayed, as is the text messaging thing. Basically opening most every app/component...definitely not as snappy and "instant" as before v2.0.
Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only person seeing this. Going into settings (I toggle WiFi since it's such a battery drainer) is much slower than it used to be. Everything is draggy-laggy. I restored a couple times just to make sure something wasn't getting stuck in my phone, but nothing changed.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-23, 07:08

I have an App that has hung on the loading stage on my iPhone and I can't get it off there. I'm trying not to do a restore if possible.

Last night, I was trying to use AIM, but of course it's a POS and crashes all the time. So I deleted it off the phone and went to the App Store via the phone and started downloading it. It got to the part where the App popped up on the menu and said "Loading..." and that's how it's been for the last 12 hours or so.

I just tried connecting it via the dock cable and deleting AIM from iTunes and reinstalling it and it hasn't changed it's status.

Any suggestions?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-07-23, 07:39

Thought everyone'd like a little comic relief. (This guest artist is great!)
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 14:08

OK, I am really pissed again today. For the second time in one week, while I was editing a contact on my iPhone, I watch as all my contacts disappeared. While I was hunting around for a number to call Apple, about 10 minutes later my Contacts suddenly came back (although some are missing.) They are not cross referencing again to SMS, Favorites, VM, etc.

I called AppleCare and they told me it sounds like the software is corrupted and asked me to do a restore again. (They told me there is a way to set the option to "new phone" on restore but I never got prompted for this, so I am not sure this is going to work.)

Very frustrating. . .

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 14:20

Quote:
(They told me there is a way to set the option to "new phone" on restore but I never got prompted for this, so I am not sure this is going to work.)
I just finished the restore and there is in fact an option at the end that asks do you want to restore from a previous backup or new phone, so I checked New Phone as I was told by Apple.

Hope this works. . .

apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-07-23, 15:04

I don't understand using the "new phone" option in a case like this. I know iTunes, Mail.app, iPhoto, etc., can all just re-sync, but doesn't the "new phone" option mean data like Notes gets lost?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I don't understand using the "new phone" option in a case like this. I know iTunes, Mail.app, iPhoto, etc., can all just re-sync, but doesn't the "new phone" option mean data like Notes gets lost?
I just completed the "New Phone" restore and lost all my favorites and all my webpage icons I had made that pointed to certain webpages. I think I am going to hold off rebuilding both of these until I determine if this fixes the problem.

zippy
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Indeed. I upgraded my 1st gen iPhone this way based on reccomendations from other early upgraders but didn't think about the notes ahead of time. iTunes did a backup prior to upgrading to 2.0 but I haven't done any digging yet to see if there's any way to retrieve them.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-23, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Indeed. I upgraded my 1st gen iPhone this way based on reccomendations from other early upgraders but didn't think about the notes ahead of time. iTunes did a backup prior to upgrading to 2.0 but I haven't done any digging yet to see if there's any way to retrieve them.
I did not even think about notes and lost them. . . damn! I should have emailed them to myself! If you figure a way to retrieve please let me know.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-07-24, 07:21

Quote:
I did not even think about notes and lost them. . . damn! I should have emailed them to myself! If you figure a way to retrieve please let me know.
Restore from your last backup, then email important links, notes & map destinations to yourself. You'll have to manually re-enter all this data when doing the clean restore, but if the clean restore solves your problems, then that's what you'll have to do.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-07-24, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Restore from your last backup, then email important links, notes & map destinations to yourself. You'll have to manually re-enter all this data when doing the clean restore, but if the clean restore solves your problems, then that's what you'll have to do.
So, will I be able to specify the backup date and version to restore to? (Never done it.) Reason I ask is that I just spent the morning fixing my new "clean" version up. I have backed up maybe 5 times since the corrupted version. If I can go back say 2 days, restore, email my notes to myself, then restore back to my current "clean" version I might be in luck. . . .

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-24, 12:42

My push email has gone back to normal after not showing up on my iphone for at least an hour over the past few days.

Hopefully this is a sign that things are getting better.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Fooboy

2008-07-26, 19:23

Screen sometimes goes unresponsive. I have to lock and unlock phone for use again. Its not limited to a certain area either ... it just stops responding. Once I lock and Unlock ... it will work from between days to minutes till I need to repeat.

First gen iphone with a fresh install of 2.0...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-07-26, 20:39

My keyboard will become very sluggish while typing.

Contacts are also very sluggish.

Hopefully this gets fixed with 2.0.1