Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Setting up my Internet At Home

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Setting up my Internet At Home
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-05-02, 20:21

I was wondering if you guys can help me set up my Broadband internet at home. I am getting a Netcomm NB1300Plus4 free with my connection. The details are half way down this page http://www.netcomm.com.au/ADSL/adsl.php#NB13004 I have a PC and my PowerBook at home to use with it. My PB has Airport in it and i have an airport express. How do i set my house up so that i can get wireless internet to my PB and also wired Internet to my PC with minimal money and fuss. Do i need any other equipment? Thanks.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-05-02, 20:42

The best option would be to get a wireless router that includes Ethernet ports (you don't really need an Airport Extreme base station, any WiFi/Wireless-G router should do the job just fine). I'm using a Linksys WRT54G in my apartment with the exact setup you're describing, and it works perfectly.

Depending on where you decide to buy from, you can find a decent router for well under $100 (the aforementioned WRT54G is only $59.99 after a $10 rebate at CompUSA, price may vary at other retailers).

An alternative would be to buy a cheap wired router/access point, and connect the PC and Airport Express 'downstream' of that so that they don't need separate IP addresses (same idea as the previous suggestion, but using a cheaper piece of equipment and making use of your existing Airport Express).

Last edited by SpecMode : 2005-05-02 at 20:50.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-05-02, 21:43

So i couldn't just get away with having my existing equipment? I would need to buy something else? I was hoping i could just use the new Netcomm router and the Airport Express and have both my PC and PB connected at the same time.

Edit: It seems your second option would just use my existing equipment. Is that true?

Last edited by Phoenix : 2005-05-02 at 21:48.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-05-03, 00:11

"..."

(translation: "Dammit, I knew I missed something there. I was in a hurry and kinda forgot to click the link you kindly provided in your post. So, yes, you can go ahead and ignore the suggestion to buy a new router, the one you've got will be fine." )
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-05-03, 00:13

sweet. Was getting confused there for a second. Thanks for the confirmation.