User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: New town "Technopolis" is far from spawn and magic-free!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: New town "Technopolis" is far from spawn and magic-free!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-02, 04:32

Easy location to remember!

x = -300
z = -200

Constructions in the new town should be magic-free. We used condensors to create a huge stash of stone, wood, torches, and glass to start with, and there's a graveyard lot full of chests that you are free to use to build your new house. Beyond that, no collectors, transmutation, magic devices, rings, etc! Leave behind any of your exotic materials and tools, too. This town should be a "fresh start" of sorts. Once you've settled, feel free to start building up your industrial crafts or microblocks or coffee farms.

Pick one of the 16x16 lots (within the cobble markers; each lot should have a 1-block gap before the streets), and build your house using stone, wood, and glass. We're trying to go for a generally uniform-ish scheme here. But inside your house? Use whatever materials you like. Below your house, it's all yours. You own the mineral rights to your land, and digging down is probably the best way to load up on resources.

Here's a quick overview of the area so far. gerlocian, RS, Spec, and I have settled in already. More are welcome!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-12-03, 17:53

Not that I'm really able to play right now, (7 week old babies are Hard Work, man.) but I like the idea of instead of full world reboots that we simply "move" to a new part of the world. Can we move spawn, or is that complicated?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-03, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Not that I'm really able to play right now, (7 week old babies are Hard Work, man.) but I like the idea of instead of full world reboots that we simply "move" to a new part of the world. Can we move spawn, or is that complicated?
Fortunately, yes, we've decided to stay in the same world but move northward. I think I might be able to reset the spawn point closer to our new town (which still needs a name).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

gerlocian

2012-12-04, 00:46

I'd like to get some ideas on the town hall building. This weekend I'd like to get a group together to build it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-04, 09:35

I like this idea. Dellphi has built a good network of warp points, in case anyone needs to get home to their first digs.

gerlocian

2012-12-04, 13:24

So Brad and I were talking today about power in the town. We were wondering what people thought about limiting homes to LV solar panels and generators for power production in preparation for a power grid in the future that would power the entire town.

What are peoples thoughts?

SpecMode
Wait what

2012-12-04, 18:20

Communal HV solar array plant somewhere in (or just outside) town, with underground glass fiber cables for power distribution? People could setup their own MFEs or MFSUs so they'll still have power during the night or bad weather.

We could always go nuclear, too. Build a reactor far enough out that the town is outside of blast range (or just encase it in a metric asston of reinforced stone), and just run some cabling to a substation in town that everyone can branch off from.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-04, 21:12

I don't even know what I would do with power in the game yet. I'm still back in the redstone era.

gerlocian

2012-12-04, 21:12

That's what I think too. We were saying that the houses can be limited to lv solar arrays (maybe only 8 or so) and store power per house in one or two batboxes, then have a power generation station of somekind that provides power to the batboxes. This way, we can power other buildings in the town.

gerlocian

2012-12-04, 21:13

Don't worry turtle, when you are ready to put machines in your house, I can help you get set up.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-04, 21:50

Boo. I would be online right now, but neighborhood construction seems to have cut phone and cable lines by mistake. At least I still have power and iPhone...

Fwiw, I'm all in favor of ger's ideas for the new community so far. A central power grid could not only sustain homes but could also power street lights. Outside of the residential area, we could erect buildings more suited for machines (eg. with thicker walls to hide cables, made from different materials) that could be powered by the grid. It's all quite exciting!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-12-04, 22:00

I demand that my streetlight be Lime Green. That is all.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-07, 17:56

I think the new town is shaping up quite nicely!

gerlocian and I have a couple of projects in mind that we're going to try over the weekend. For one, we may start laying some cable under the streets for the power grid and drop boxes on the corner of each lot so people can tap into the main grid if interested.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-09, 03:19

We have a pier and dock west of town now, and we have mysterious overseas traders who occasionally drop goodies into the chests in the dock house. You are free and encouraged to take the goodies that we receive there.

gerlocian

2012-12-10, 10:10

If it turns out to not be enough to sustain us, then i can increase the speed and/or amount of deliveries. Right now it's one each of the following every 10 minutes:

1) Iron
2) Gold
3) Bronze
4) Tin
5) Copper
6) Coal
7) Uranium
8) Red Stone Dust
9) Glowstone Dust

Also keep in mind that due to the way chunks work, deliveries are only provided if there is someone online. I would rather not use a world anchor in this case because deliveries are only good if there is someone online to use them. If no one is online, then I'd rather the server not have to keep those chunks alive. Also, even though the deliveries only occur every 10 minutes, the amounts and times are controlled via timers and filters (which can all be tweeked). The collectors that create the materials are most likely full at this point, so we don't have to worry about "running out" of trade supplies. This means that the chunks don't have to stay alive in order for it to create enough stuff for us.

Foj
Veteran Member

2012-12-10, 21:41

I picked a lot to build in, but haven't done any official building yet. I put a couple of signs up to make sure people know which one.

arteggio

2012-12-11, 12:43

I'm making my way to the new town!

Though, I've just finished trying out the teleporter system. Went to the south pole where I got scared because I didn't understand how to get back because the confangled button system didn't make sense yet. I hacked off red light button and it worked. That teleporter might be broken.

It has to be set red to charge or get a high enough voltage once paired with the green panel, or something?

Update: Had to get some sand and went back. I think I fixed it.

Last edited by arteggio : 2012-12-11 at 16:33.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-11, 18:50

Great! There are still a few 16x16 lots in the middle of the neighborhood and on the eastern side. I can mark up a few more lots to the east if you like. I think it's nice that at least in the center of town we're not all packed in together. Open space is nice, plus we need room for whenever sonic and Captain Drew join us.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-11, 21:58

RS and I were talking in game about giving up our basements for a power station or whatever the community source was going to be. I will speak for myself for sure, you can have my basement below the last floor down... if you put a floor in though you will have to watch for slimes. Lots of slimes. Lots and lots of slimes. RS can post here if he wants just so you hear from him on this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-12-11, 23:45

I finished carving mine out last night, and I'd be happy to donate the space of our combined basements to a power station of whatever sort. I doubt we need the entirety of the space, but I would think gerlocian may be the best judge of that.

If we don't need it all, I have an idea for a self automated tree/charcoal farm using Felling Turtles that I might try to build there, or I could try that somewhere in town. I want to research the buggers more, however - still seem to be some glitches with them. It'd be nice to power some lighting for the town, energy for machines all around, etc., though if anyone wants to just deal with their own, I can figure something out for those of us who want to do the much higher resource intensive stuff.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

gerlocian

2012-12-12, 21:02

I would much rather move a power station of some kind away from homes just in case something catastrophic happens. I figure that basement areas below homes are used at the discretion of the plot owner, and can use or donate them as they seem fit. If you want to donate any space under your home to the community then we can decide the best use for it as a community. In the case of RowdyScot and Turtle's area, as long as they don't want to use the space, we can setup power storage relays there and distribute power from those relays. However, that's just one idea.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-12, 21:07

Whatever works for you guys. The problem with my space is the insane number of slimes. I can't really have floors like that in there because of them. Sad really, I was going to put cattle and such in there. Oh well, now it's for me to share really.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-12, 22:48

I built my first wheel in tekkit!

Add stone to the top left one and fill the chest with glass. Sure it's overkill, but I'm learning the basics.

Why do the engines have to be turned off every now and then? Seems like I should be able to leave them running. I'm guessing they are running "dry" too long waiting on the macerators to finish. Am I right?

What should I build to automate next?

gerlocian

2012-12-13, 21:42

So those are redstone engines and they should never overheat. You should be able to leave those on.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-16, 15:01

Also, our new town needs a name! Suggestions?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-16, 15:04

Technopolis.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-21, 00:29

Giant rubber trees and you! So some have figured out there are now giant rubber trees at the eastern side of the town. I though those were the rubber trees I was supposed to have and planted them. Wondered why bonemeal did nothing for them like RS told me to do.

Anyway, We are trying to let at least one "majestic" looking one stay. So once one grows that isn't intermingled with another tree, how about letting it live untouched. I also put a chest there by the trees so we can fill it. Currently I have almost a full chest of rubber. I figure I'll run a load or two to the dock for easy access by any who need it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-12-22, 11:11

PEOPLE!!!!!

You CANNOT USE MAGIC inside of the new town!!!

PLEASE STOP!!!

Don't be like me.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-12-22, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Technopolis.
Technopolis it is! Has a nice ring. I like it.

Also, thread split! I figured the new town should have a thread of its own to make it clear what's going on for anyone who has been away for a while. Drew.

¡Damned!

2012-12-23, 03:08

Water Mill Ponds!

My overclocked* machines were having a hell of a time at night without solar power - even making awful grindy machine noises, so I decided that I needed a green energy space that worked 'round the clock. The Water Mills weren't nearly as expensive to make as I thought they'd be, and even though individually they don't push out a lot, en masse they fill up the Batboxes pretty quick. I may even add another few now that I see the output potential.

I used cheap tin cable for output to the boxes. I love it. It has an industrial feel but it's all very clean and worky. It's underneath my house if you want to check it out. Fun fun. I love this Tekkit thing.

*My god. Could overclocks/upgrades be any more difficult? I suspect there's a special level of MineCraft Hell where the offenders (child molesters and people who talk at the theatre) are tasked to make water cells for eternity. "THEY DON'T EVEN STACK!" the damned would yell at MC Satan.

So it goes.