AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I've Created A Simple Music Scale Program

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I've Created A Simple Music Scale Program
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-07, 09:21

woah - you're expecting a little bpMF <- meant to be a :wow: - CONGRATULATIONS are in order! What an exciting/busy time this must be for you and your significant other!

don't sweat the update - when it comes ... it comes!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-08, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
woah - you're expecting a little bpMF <- meant to be a :wow: - CONGRATULATIONS are in order! What an exciting/busy time this must be for you and your significant other!

don't sweat the update - when it comes ... it comes!
Thank you Mac+!

Yes, busy it is! My wife and I can't wait for the little one to come along! Well, I guess we can wait until we've painted and put new flooring in our condo.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-08, 08:32

let us know when it all happens bpMF! (maybe post a photo too?)
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-08, 09:26

Quote:
let us know when it all happens bpMF! (maybe post a photo too?)
Oh, you know it! Little bpMF won't be here until the end of January so I've still got some time left to stock up on sleep!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-12, 17:25

I've made another update. This update only adds the mode descriptions that Mac+ was kind enough to send to me. I'm still working on proper enharmonic display so that will be next. I know I know, I keep pushing it back, but I mean it this time!

Just click the link in my sig to get to the program page.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-09-12, 18:30

Getting better all the time man, good job!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-12, 19:09

bpMF - looks good - nice icon and a cleaner interface.
However, I am using 10.2.8 and cannot see the arrows to get the draws to slide out ... so I can't see the descriptions or the chords sheet.

Also, I launched it off the Installer drive and it has "unexpectedly quit" twice. Did I download the latest version?

I have other suggestions too (if you're interested), but I understand how busy you are currently - so just drop me an email when you're ready.

twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-12, 20:12

Quote:
bpMF - looks good - nice icon and a cleaner interface.
However, I am using 10.2.8 and cannot see the arrows to get the draws to slide out ... so I can't see the descriptions or the chords sheet.

Also, I launched it off the Installer drive and it has "unexpectedly quit" twice. Did I download the latest version?

I have other suggestions too (if you're interested), but I understand how busy you are currently - so just drop me an email when you're ready.
You're the 2nd person who says they can't see the triangle pointer. The other person said that when they clicked where the triangle was supposed to be it worked fine.

Did you see the triangles in the earlier version? Does the problem go away if you copy the program onto your desktop? I haven't had any release versions bomb on me, now I'm worried.

The online download is the latest version.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-12, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Getting better all the time man, good job!
Thanks! I assume the latest version works OK for you?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-12, 20:46

Ah ... so that's how you get it to work I still can't see the arrows though - maybe it is because of the window striping used in OS 10.2.8?

Now got the app in a folder - working well so far.

I should change those descriptions - b/c they were all intended to be used with C major as the starting example for the scale. The first part of the descriptions (where I identify the letter names of each scale - they were intended more as an example to yourself for clarification, just in case) have no relevance to a scale in the key of Bb, for example, and this could be confusing to the users.

Also, I know you wanted to have two arrays or something - but the issue of #/b signs (enharmonic spelling) on all scales is ambiguous. F major has Bb (not A#) if you know what I mean?

Re: the main window - it would be cleaner and save space if you re-worded the descriptors (less is more):

"Select Key and mode to see scale notes"
Line 1: KEY: (drop down box) MODE: (drop down box)
Line 2: SCALE: [text box running the length of the window]

This way you don't need a full line of text below Scale Output, it saves space and is worded more efficiently! (unlike this reply)

Also - just another thought - Do you want me to do all the descriptions for each key - this way you can link the text to F major Ionian and it will read the correct notes, and Bb mixolydian will read the correct notes too - instead of the confusing C major examples?

twitter
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-12, 20:55

I just had a crash when I viewed the apps credits. I closed that box and tried to quit but it crashed. Just figured I'd let you know, may be a bug, may not. Great app though.

Come waste your time with me
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-12, 21:21

hey bpMF - just letting you know that the new version with the buttons if fully functional. They're clean and obvious - but if you could get the arrows to work they would be less conspicuous and also relate better to the notion of the slide out draws. When I see buttons, I sort of expect a new window or special function - but maybe that's just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpMF
I haven't had any release versions bomb on me, now I'm worried.
Don't worry about this stuff. It's a very handy little app and has been working well since I moved it off the installer disk and onto my HD!

Keep tweaking it - I can see it being very useful to a lot of music students out there!

twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-13, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
I just had a crash when I viewed the apps credits. I closed that box and tried to quit but it crashed. Just figured I'd let you know, may be a bug, may not. Great app though.
Wow, weird. Especially considering I didn't write any code for that window because Interface Builder will let me wire up a menu option to the "About Musical Scales" window and take care of making the window show for me.

Could you try dragging the program off the .dmg and run it from your desktop, Then let me know if this happens again?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-13, 08:31

Quote:
hey bpMF - just letting you know that the new version with the buttons if fully functional. They're clean and obvious - but if you could get the arrows to work they would be less conspicuous and also relate better to the notion of the slide out draws. When I see buttons, I sort of expect a new window or special function - but maybe that's just me?
I think I'm going to drop the whole drawers thing and switch to windows. That way the buttons will fit their actions. Besides, if I add another drawer, the GUI is going to look like some kinda mecha-robot with all the drawers open!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-09-13, 09:29

I think the draws are OK for the explanations of the modes - they're pretty small and they don't really require a separate window. Or, another alternative might be to offer that modal info in a box just below the scale - perhaps always visible?

twitter
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-14, 21:04

I've added my first attempt to properly display enharmonic notes. While every note listed is still sonically correct, the note name might not fall under normal convention.

For example, any scales requiring any of these four notes; Cb, Fb, B# or E# will not be displayed correctly. Because of this, sometimes scales will be listed with both sharps & flats. Fixing this will be next, but like I said, the notes displayed are still correct, even if they are listed as say B instead of Cb.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-14, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Wow, weird. Especially considering I didn't write any code for that window because Interface Builder will let me wire up a menu option to the "About Musical Scales" window and take care of making the window show for me.

Could you try dragging the program off the .dmg and run it from your desktop, Then let me know if this happens again?
It was running off my HDD when it happened the first time, it happens almost every time to me. It just tells me that "The application has quit." and if I'd like to send a bug report to Apple.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-14, 21:37

Quote:
It was running off my HDD when it happened the first time, it happens almost every time to me. It just tells me that "The application has quit." and if I'd like to send a bug report to Apple.
I just put another update out (like a few minutes ago) that specifically addresses this issue. Check it out and let me know if it's working OK for you now.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-16, 19:27

I've added chord playback! Woohoo!

You can hear the chord played as a whole unit, or one note at a time if you click the Arpeggiate checkbox. This is only the beginning as far as music playback is concerned!

Please let me know of any issues / concerns.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-16, 22:17

Bug fixed

Nice job. I've found this app really useful, been writing a lot of stuff with it lately.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-17, 10:37

Quote:
Bug fixed

Nice job. I've found this app really useful, been writing a lot of stuff with it lately.
What kind of music are you writing? How does my app help? I'd really like to know.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-09-17, 17:53

I do a lot of stuff. My current thing is pop-punk, but I do rock, blues, jazz, and some other stuff too. I dab in a little bit of everything.

It's easier than thinking of a key, figuring out chord progressions, figuring out what note the tonic of the chord should be...ect.

I just fire it up, select the key, and I can write a quick riff based on the chords in the app.

I'm not the biggest music theory buff, so I get tripped up on this stuff sometimes, this helps

Keep up the good work, I know I appreciate it

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-09-17, 17:57

Wow, excellent! Glad I was able to help you out.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-10-31, 14:54

I've made another update to my program. Enharmonic note display is correct from double flat (bb) to double sharp (+). I've made some serious behind the scenes changes (again) which will allow generation of melodic, harmonic and other non-major scale based scales and associated chords.

Also, the source code is now included in the disk image, just in case you're interested in seeing how it works.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-31, 23:04

Hi bpMF - just downloaded it - good to see the enhamronic spelling is fixed AND the font sizes have been scaled back and improved. Now it is all about cosmetics I guess. Keep playing with fonts/sizes to make it small and handy.

I like the drawer options for the modes and chords - but was really surprised by the yellow pop-up box (information panel) when you hover over the scale and it tells you the modal info. Nice touch - although rather W-I-D-E at times.

It would be good if you could get the modal descriptions to change for each scale mode instead of always referencing C major. Would that be a possibility? Should I write up 12 scales with 7 modes each and then you can put them in the modal info box? What about graphic images - either guitar frets or keys to indicate which notes to play? Just tossing in some extra ideas.

Great update - best yet! :smokey:

twitter
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-31, 23:19

Next, you need to incorporate a notation input system, and a melody generator, to generate dictation practice
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-11-01, 08:02

Quote:
Hi bpMF - just downloaded it - good to see the enhamronic spelling is fixed AND the font sizes have been scaled back and improved. Now it is all about cosmetics I guess. Keep playing with fonts/sizes to make it small and handy.

I like the drawer options for the modes and chords - but was really surprised by the yellow pop-up box (information panel) when you hover over the scale and it tells you the modal info. Nice touch - although rather W-I-D-E at times.

It would be good if you could get the modal descriptions to change for each scale mode instead of always referencing C major. Would that be a possibility? Should I write up 12 scales with 7 modes each and then you can put them in the modal info box? What about graphic images - either guitar frets or keys to indicate which notes to play? Just tossing in some extra ideas.

Great update - best yet! :smokey:
I plan on fixing the descriptions to pull the correct note names in a future update. At first I didn't plan on using a drawer for the mode descriptions, I was just going to use the tooltip. But, I didn't know how to draw people's attention to the fact that the scale tooltip actually had something cool in it, so I used a drawer as well.

I hadn't run into any issues of the tooltip's yellow box going beyond the main window of my program. Are you saying there's a certain mode where the tooltip is larger than the main window?

The fonts & GUI have been smaller for the last couple of updates. Where have you been?

I want to delve into graphics programming next, so the next update may include sheet music / frets / keyboard display of the scale or selected chord or something. It's something I definitely want to tackle.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-11-01, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Next, you need to incorporate a notation input system, and a melody generator, to generate dictation practice
I guess if my program had a cash generator function I could add a melody generator to it.

One of my next goals is to have my program generate chord progressions. Along with this would be progression input ability. Something along the lines of, the user selects a scale & mode. Click the 'build progression' button. Type in the progression, for example, here's a 12 bar jazz-blues chord progression with half-step above approach in 4/4 time:

Code:
i) 1 3 5 + iv) 1 3 5 + i) 1 3 5 7b i) 1 3 5 + iv) 1 3 5 7b iv) 1 3 5 + i) 1 3 5 7b i) 1 3 5 + ii) 1 3 5 + v) 1 3 5 + i) 1 3 5 + ii) 1 + v) 1 +
The (+) = 1/2 step above approach (-) would be 1/2 step below approach. Enharmonic accents (b, #) would only need to be added if you are selecting a note not in the chord. For example, if the above progression was programmed in C Major, the 1 chord is normally C E G B, but I want to flat the 7th note so I put 7b which generates the following notes; C E G Bb.

I should probably allow typing in notes by name just in case someone wants to go totally crazy building custom progressions.

What do you mean by 'generate dictation practice'?
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-01, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
What do you mean by 'generate dictation practice'?
Like, a melody is generated, then played back, there is a place to input notation, you practice hearing the melody and transcribing it. With various parameters to control it like, how many times it's repeated, whether it reveals a bar at a time if you need help.

that type of thing.

I dunno, that's just a program I've wanted to see made for a long time.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-11-01, 15:23

I still have your PM from early this Summer describing that program you wish would be created. I guess for me, generating melodies could be tricky because how do you randomly generate music that sounds good?

What do you mean by "there is a place to input notation"? Do you mean something like my progression example a couple of posts back?