User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

When do they kill the PowerBook? (or do they?)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When do they kill the PowerBook? (or do they?)
Mac Donald

2006-01-10, 18:33

The PowerBook G4 is still available on Apple's site. Makes sense -- there are no 12 inch or 17 inch "pro" machines on Intel yet. Moreover, the PB's at least have dual-layer DVD burners (which the lack thereof in the MacBook is a real BS manuever on Apple's part if you ask me. , but I ordered one today nevertheless .)

Here's the question: When does the PowerBook get officially killed?? My prediction is around the same time new iBooks and new Minis come out --- in April or maybe June at the WWDC (though I think an interim announcement a la the Nano and iPod w/video this fall is more likely). They will also release 17 inch and possibly 13-inch widescreen "Mac Pros" which will be the end of the PowerBook line.

But I think Apple's got something else up its sleeve: The reintroduction of the PowerBook (with a new industrial design) at the end of the year, or at Expo next January, with 64 bit Merom processors. The PowerBook name is just too important to Apple to just kill. (By the way, does anyone know if the PowerBook was first introduced when Apple switched to PowerPC processors from the old Moto ones??? I thought the PowerBook line was older than that, but don't remember. If it is indeed older, I just don't see why they felt the need to kill the PowerBook name, except perhaps so they could continue to sell PowerBook G4's for a few more months. Still, "MacBook Pro"? What were they thinking?!? ).

What do y'all think?!?!

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-10, 19:04

You're right - the "Powerbook" name existed before Apple used PowerPC, so they didn't change the name because of any PowerPC connotations.

Like you, I hope we see the Powerbook return - maybe when Apple debuts an all-new, Merom-based form factor, they'll bring back the Powerbook name. Or maybe the next Powerbook will be 17" only, and it'll be positioned above the MacBook Pro?

Still, I think that Apple ressurecting the Powerbook name is about as likely as them making a new iPod mini - which is to say, not very. A pity, that. The Powerbook was Apple's flagship - it was a permanent part of the geek vernacular - until now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Mac Donald

2006-01-10, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Still, I think that Apple ressurecting the Powerbook name is about as likely as them making a new iPod mini - which is to say, not very.
I agree that the likelihood of resurrecting the PowerBook name is not high --- I'd put it at 30-40 percnt --- it is worth noting that it is not dead yet.

As to the Mini, I would say that the odds are about 100 percent that there will be an Intel based computer in the Mini form factor --- whether it is called a "Mini" I do not know. The Mini was a very popular computer, and clearly hit where it was supposed to -- people considering switching, but unsure, and not wanting to buy a whole new system. Also for Mac fans who want a secon d computer. They would dumb to ditch the Mini -- or something similar; don't ya think?

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 00:22

IMo, the Powerbook name is essentially dead (although they'll always be Powerbooks to me...but that's another story). I'm almost certain that Apple will come out with more Intel changeovers before WWDC - if it's just a processor switch like the iMac, it might not even warrant a special event.

And yeah, Powerbook existed way before PowerPC, such as the Powerbook 100 series, the 500 series, and the Powerboook Duo. The first PowerPC Powerbook was the Powerbook 5300.
DougC

2006-01-11, 01:35

Call me crazy but I some how drew the connection that he wanted to drop the Power in Powerbook because of Power consumption of the G4 and G5s... Maybe just cause he said it during that part of the keynote. Yea it's just a pun, made me grin anyway, intentional or not
nassau

2006-01-11, 07:51

maybe the macbook is the laptopversion of the mac mini, ie a "middle" version of some sort. maybe the powerbook will come out and blow the macbook out of the fishbowl...
copland

2006-01-11, 08:48

There is some rumor saying that His Steveness wanted to kill the Powerbook moniker, because it was the last product line from the dark ages of Gil Amelio (the time Jobs was not on Apple's board).
Reading all those emotional stories about Jobs , maybe they are right.

copland
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-11, 09:07

Let it go, folks. Steve himself SAID in the keynote that they're letting the name go, in favor of "Mac" being featured more prominently.

As simple as that, and if you think they're going to drop it, then magically revive it - and all the marketing materials - in six months or whatever...well, you're probably the type of person who is convinced the Cube is coming back too, and has been "holding off on a new Mac purchase" since about 2001..."just in case".

Things change, and things move on.

The quicker some of us grasp - and accept - that, the better.

I've yet to read about anyone refusing to buy a new Mac laptop until the name "PowerBook" is restored...but I bet before the week's out, I will...

Get. Over. It.

Baron Munchausen

2006-01-11, 12:20

I think it will be evolutionary. As faster Core Duo's come out, they will go into the iMac and MacBook Pros. Potentially we will see the 1.6Ghz/667FSB models become the non-pro as the faster units come out later in the year, or we may even have a Core Solo in a non-pro Book (MacBook Edu?), but then did they not say that ALL laptops will be Dual CPU? (or was that just Pro units?).

I would have thought that the Merom 64 bitters are for the Mac Towers alone, while the iMac makes use of the higher spec Core Duos and cheaper desktop HDDs, PSUs, Panels etc. to keep them competitive in the retail desktop arena.

Quad Merom...