User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

How do you actually lose weight? Where does it go?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How do you actually lose weight? Where does it go?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 12:01

First off, I'm not looking for advice on how to lose weight.

Last night I just started wondering, when you lose weight, how does it get off of your body? It's not like you walk around and chunks of you start to fall off. So where does the weight go? Do you pee it out? Do you poop it out? I roughly understand the whole calorie/energy thing, but does that mean that calories/energy actually have weight? And when you burn them, do you just breath out the extra weight? I'm confused.

I did a quick Google and couldn't find anything and then it dawned on me that this would be a good place to ask because there are a couple of smart people here, and a bunch more who think they are.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 12:05

I don't know. My ass fell off once.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-05-23, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Last night I just started wondering, when you lose weight, how does it get off of your body? It's not like you walk around and chunks of you start to fall off. So where does the weight go? Do you pee it out? Do you poop it out?
Both, and sweating, and breathing out (exhaling).

Basically, all four kinds of excretion (peeing: urination; sweating: perspiration; pooping: defecation; exhaling: respiration). As you exercise your body, the energy you gained from eating gets put into use at a faster pace, and the superfluous components are excreted through the above four methods more quickly as well.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-05-23, 12:09

Quote:
I roughly understand the whole calorie/energy thing, but does that mean that calories/energy actually have weight?
E = mC squared.

So, yes. Just not much.

¡Damned!

2007-05-23, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
I don't know. My ass fell off once.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-05-23, 12:24

Keep in mind that fat is just another fuel source. When you "lose weight", your body is actually breaking down the fat molecules in a process called lipolysis and reusing the constituent parts: fatty acids and glycerol. These chemicals simply travel through your blood to your liver to be used in other metabolic ("energy-producing") processes.

Eventually, as the molecules are broken apart and reused in other ways, they will make their way out of your body through excretion as chucker explained. It's not an immediate transfer from fat to feces, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 12:26

I have a feeling that this one is going to die very quickly, kinda like that other silly thread.

However, when you excercise, your body burns fuel which is converted into solid and liquid wastes that are given off as you know what. The burn process also converts fuel into energy which is given off as heat. The body removes this through sweating to cool the body.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-05-23, 12:52

Quote:
So where does the weight go?
Kirsty Alley.
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2007-05-23, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Kirsty Alley.
Nice.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I have a feeling that this one is going to die very quickly, kinda like that other silly thread.
FUNSUCKER!

But really, this whole notion intrigued me, and I think it's a valid question so thanks to everyone for all the info.

Now if only those smart people I mentioned in the OP would show up and chime in.....

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-23, 13:04

metabolism.

Fat and glycogen get metabolized to the same products that burning wood gets converted into -- CO2 and H2O, we literally breathe out and piss most of our fat and glycogen away.

Proteins get broken down into various amine containing compounds which we piss away.

The body has ways of converting the energy content of fat, glycogen and muscle into more useful forms WHILE breaking it down -- i could go more in depth but it would require quite a bit more background in chemistry than most people have.

I seriously cannot believe that people don't know this.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 13:05

The process is somewhat comparable to the way a log of wood looses weight when burning. Only much more complex.
The fire itsself is comparable to the energy you spend when exercising; the gasses leaving the chimney to the CO2-rich air you exhale and the ashes left behind by the wood to excrement and urine.

Beaten by bb

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Both, and sweating, and breathing out (exhaling).

Basically, all four kinds of excretion (peeing: urination; sweating: perspiration; pooping: defecation; exhaling: respiration). As you exercise your body, the energy you gained from eating gets put into use at a faster pace, and the superfluous components are excreted through the above four methods more quickly as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
E = mC squared.

So, yes. Just not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Keep in mind that fat is just another fuel source. When you "lose weight", your body is actually breaking down the fat molecules in a process called lipolysis and reusing the constituent parts: fatty acids and glycerol. These chemicals simply travel through your blood to your liver to be used in other metabolic ("energy-producing") processes.

Eventually, as the molecules are broken apart and reused in other ways, they will make their way out of your body through excretion as chucker explained. It's not an immediate transfer from fat to feces, though.
Quote:
However, when you excercise, your body burns fuel which is converted into solid and liquid wastes that are given off as you know what. The burn process also converts fuel into energy which is given off as heat. The body removes this through sweating to cool the body.
Thanks. What amazes me, is that I can actually see a difference in weight between when I go to bed, and when I wake up. Now, on most nights, I don't pee the bed, so this weight must be leaving in my breath.

I suppose breath has more weight via. moisture than I realized at first, so that makes sense. Of course, some of this weight re-collects on my teeth, but that's easy enough to get rid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I seriously cannot believe that people don't know this.

Sorry, chem just isn't my thing.

I never thought of the burning log scenario. But then again, I can actually see chunks of the log floating off while it burns, but I can't see chunks of energy in my breath - unless it's cold out.

Last edited by zippy : 2007-05-23 at 13:12. Reason: Posts merged
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 13:24

Quote:
I never thought of the burning log scenario. But then again, I can actually see chunks of the log floating off while it burns, but I can't see chunks of energy in my breath - unless it's cold out.
You usually see the chunks after a hard night of drinking.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-23, 13:30

Quote:
Can you really? Most of the log's weight is lost in formation of CO2 and H2O.... you really cannot *see* that...
¡Damned!

2007-05-23, 13:35

Quote:
But then again, I can actually see chunks of the log floating off while it burns, but I can't see chunks of energy in my breath - unless it's cold out.
Like this?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-05-23, 13:46

The coolest thing about fat cells is that you never lose them. They grow and shrink in size, but never naturally leave your body.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
The coolest thing about fat cells is that you never lose them. They grow and shrink in size, but never naturally leave your body.
Unless you get lyposuction!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-23, 14:23

My god.

What a bunch of noobies.

This is so not how you lose weight.

You would lose weight in those following ways:

1) Jump off the building
2) Take the elevator down
3) Ride a rollercoaster with loops
4) Go swimming
5) Orbit Earth as astronauts do.

I expected more from you guys. Surely you know what weight is? right?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-05-23, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
My god.

What a bunch of noobies.

This is so not how you lose weight.

You would lose weight in those following ways:

1) Jump off the building
2) Take the elevator down
3) Ride a rollercoaster with loops
4) Go swimming
5) Orbit Earth as astronauts do.

I expected more from you guys. Surely you know what weight is? right?
weight!= mass

weight= mass * acceleration, if my I remember my high school physics well enough. That was about 8 years ago though

zippy
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Can you really? Most of the log's weight is lost in formation of CO2 and H2O.... you really cannot *see* that...
Sure, smoke is filled with tiny particles of ash, and I can see that. And you usually have larger chunks of ash floating away and burning out too. OK, so I may not be seeing the CO2 and H2O specifically, but I can see bits and pieces.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-23, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
weight!= mass

weight= mass * acceleration, if my I remember my high school physics well enough. That was about 8 years ago though

And the OP asked us how to lose weight, didn't he?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 14:54

Quote:
And the OP asked us how to lose weight, didn't he?
Slow down?
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-05-23, 14:54

Buncha fuckin' geeks. Like anyone would ever say "I'm tring to lose a little mass."
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
…"I'm tring to lose a little mass."
No! He said he's trying to lose a little "ass", not "mass".
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-23, 15:02

Quote:
Slow down?
Not really. Weight = Mass * Gravity (as opposed to acceleration though gravity itself is accerlation, but only in a particular direction) so slowing down the car wouldn't affect your weight at all. OTOH, if you drove it over the cliff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Buncha fuckin' geeks. Like anyone would ever say "I'm tring to lose a little mass."
Oh? So I suppose it's completely cool to go around and use wrong terms for everything else? Hey, get me bread, you know that sticky purple stuff? Yeah that bread.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-23, 15:11

How about loosing weight though breathing?

In goes O=O out comes O=C=O, that's a carbon atom less in your body mass!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 15:17

If you want to lose weight, go to the moon! But this thread is about what happens to that weight.

The discussion really is more about "mass" rather than weight, as mass is a measure of the amount of material within a given object. Weight is the measure of gravity's affect on mass. Fat cells are not very dense (as compared to muscle) and thus contain less mass, but they make up for it in quantity.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-23, 15:21

In other words, a person with mass of 100 kilogram would weigh 981 Newtons. Alternatively, a person weighing 100 pounds would have a mass of 3.11 slugs.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-05-23, 15:29

Quote:
In other words, a person with mass of 100 kilogram would weigh 981 Newtons. Alternatively, a person weighing 100 pounds would have a mass of 3.11 slugs.
That's some f***ing huge slugs there!

Must be them python-slugs.