User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 56 of 68 First Previous 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60  Next Last Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-29, 12:22

The worst trend to me is making the driver information into LCD panels. Yuk. I like the analog gauges. I’m sure it’s cheaper labour wise for car makers to use screens, but they all look like crap, and will be hard to see in backlit conditions. Not that most people pay attention to the speed they are going anyway. Then there’s the push to put low profile tires and stiff suspensions on every vehicle possible. Apparently car designers don’t have bad backs.

I like the move to put the controls on the steering wheel, far less distracting. Now all the need to do is put the turn signals on the wheel, rather than the stock.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 12:27

I'm convinced you could wirelessly pipe in turn signal controls to the drivers brain, where all they had to do was blink once or twice to use them, and most still wouldn't. They're right there, inches away from their fingers on the wheel, and it's like the controls just don't exist to so many.

People drive around acting like turn signal controls are located in the trunk. A day doesn't go by that I don't encounter some form of aggravation or "near miss" from someone else not using their signals. It's crazy! I've developed/perfected the "WTF are doing?!" expression/gesture for these clowns.

For something so damn easy, accessible and helpful, it always blows my mind the number of people who just outright refuse to use them.

Failure to use turn signals becomes a capital offense the day I'm ever put in charge of anything. So be careful how you vote if that's a concern to you.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The worst trend to me is making the driver information into LCD panels. Yuk. I like the analog gauges. I’m sure it’s cheaper labour wise for car makers to use screens, but they all look like crap, and will be hard to see in backlit conditions. Not that most people pay attention to the speed they are going anyway. Then there’s the push to put low profile tires and stiff suspensions on every vehicle possible. Apparently car designers don’t have bad backs.

I like the move to put the controls on the steering wheel, far less distracting. Now all the need to do is put the turn signals on the wheel, rather than the stock.
Subaru dashes are a hybrid of analogue and digital. Speedometer and tachometer are analogue dials with an LCD in the middle. There's a button on the steering column to switch between different info on the display: digital speedometer, MPG info, driver assist status. Fuel tank is always at the bottom of the screen.

Works pretty well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 12:43

I will always argue that analog gauges are the FASTEST way to impart information.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-12-29, 12:53

My fiancé and her parents both have a Suburu. They're nice but I don't enjoy driving it tbh. Her dad is coming up on have to trade in their lease and he said they have nothing on the lot currently to trade it in for.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
My fiancé and her parents both have a Suburu. They're nice but I don't enjoy driving it tbh. Her dad is coming up on have to trade in their lease and he said they have nothing on the lot currently to trade it in for.
The seats could use a lot of work. I have to drive with a cushion on the drivers seat on longer trips or my back just kills me. Apparently it's a common complaint—the seats take forever to break in.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-29, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Subaru dashes are a hybrid of analogue and digital. Speedometer and tachometer are analogue dials with an LCD in the middle. There's a button on the steering column to switch between different info on the display: digital speedometer, MPG info, driver assist status. Fuel tank is always at the bottom of the screen.

Works pretty well.
I don't mind the hybrid model, my dash is like that now and it's a 2008 model vehicle. I just don't like the entire dash being an LCD approach. If they want to do that, go for a HUD interface at the lower part of the window, rather than a screen.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 13:21

I find the seat pan too short on most Japanese cars (except for the largest models.). This includes our Forester which otherwise has a great driving position and visibility. Could use a little more support under the thighs,
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 13:47

Yeah, make it be like those fighter jets where they can see everything in front of them. That would be cool. I think. I'm still in the "just drive and quit feeling like you need to mess with shit the entire time" camp, so...

People know how to smartly glance at/use the actual car info (mph, fuel gauge, clock, etc.). Been doing so for decades and decades. That doesn't worry me as much as "what do we do about driving + smartphone culture?"

There's probably never going to be a system I fully buy into. I get in my car, set the station where I want, get the temp how I like it and then go. I'll glance at/tweak things, as needed, while stopped at a redlight or whatever, but that's about it. While actually driving/in motion, my focus/vision is 100% on the view out my windshield (and mirror glances).

And I have to be, because I need to watch out for all the weinees and oblivitards who aren't.

From all I see when I look around/notice, I'm in the sliver minority of people not endlessly screwing with their phone while driving. And that frightens/angers me greatly. They pass these toothless, unenforceable laws about it which haven't made a single dent or have changed anyone's habits. It'll take thousands needlessly, tragically injured/dying - the kids, spouses, parents and friends of elected officials and tech titans - for things to ever really change on that front. But the heartache and mayhem will likely hover just below “holy crap, we really should take a serious look at this!” levels, so…

If all the PSAs, “laws” and cautionary tales haven’t done anything at this point, what ever could?

I’m afraid that Colgate ain’t ever going back.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-29 at 14:29.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 14:23

In my 19 year old buggy I use a phone holder that holds the phone out on a boom arm. When I'm navigating with Google Maps I have to glance down to consult the readout. Having it thrown up onto a screen that keeps my eyes on the road would be better.

A few years ago I rented a small Nissan SUV for a road trip. The vehicle paired with my phone via cable, or maybe Bluetooth. It was okay, but it wasn't ideal.

Since phones are replaced and upgraded at a faster rate it makes sense to me as a consumer to want my vehicle to serve as a robust system that can poll data from the phone.

If could be cool if the car could display the data on its own screen(s) styled in ways unique to the vehicle. Look at that Subaru. See the small display? Imagine polling information from the phone to feed that display and other small indicators in the car.

A system like this would have to sit on top of the existing display/reporting system and would require so many standards; perhaps many already exist?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 14:33

It may take a top-down rethinking of the entire thing. I’m sure, as we speak, engineers and designers are hard at work. But all of them are hinging on the “how” vs. the “why”.

But, as I say above, people certainly aren’t going to go back to not messing with their phones while driving - too late for that, unless we want to start implementing roadside or accident-site executions? Break a few eggs for the bigger, better omelet? - so people will have to figure out better, smarter ways for people to not hurt themselves and others.

Maybe that’s where all the “self-driving” discussions and initiatives are springing from? But if you think I’m handing my car/safety/peace-of-mind over to fallible, hackable “tech”, you’re out of your fucking mind.

I can’t get things to print reliably on a regular basis. You think I’m going to let that same stuff drive me around town, without me pissing myself the entire time?!?

Yeahhhh…

It's like all those old, funny B&W clips of inventors and their various winged, flying devices failing spectacularly to take off/fly. It'll take a bunch of pioneers and "visionaries" driving over cliffs and causing 64-car pileups (and then not) for normal, reasonable people (me) to ever go "okay, car...take me to Food Lion, and let's stop by the bank on the way! And if you do those well, maybe we'll swing by the Titty Tavern on the way home."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-29 at 14:52.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 16:31

Drew, if you're still hunting for a new car, Toyota is probably the best choice, provided they have something that fits your need. I need a lot of headroom for my freakishly long torso. The list of reasonably sized, efficient, good value, generally reliable, and somewhat affordable cars that fit me wasn't that long. At the time the Forester fit me better than the Outback and RAV4, and a few other Toyotas. I wanted AWD for some snowy road driving that I was doing more of at the time. Wife was sold on the visibility. The car has been surprisingly good on gas and generally reliable except for an issue with the headunit control box that was resolved under warantee. I'd get another, but If some of the other automakers would see fit to offer reasonably sized cars with lots of headroom, I'd look at them too...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 17:39

I've got a Toyota.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-29, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I've got a Toyota.
Ditto.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-29, 18:00

Drove my beloved 2001 Saturn coupe for 19+ years. Replaced it a year ago with a black Solara convertible with tan leather interior. It's older (late 2000's) but in great shape, low mileage, automatic (finally!), gets decent mileage and is the smoothest, quietest and more comfortable car I've ever driven/ridden in my life.

Zero complaints. I intend to drive it another decade or more (assuming I don't hit the PowerBall or something).

I didn't seek out the convertible (got it for other reasons), but it got used this past spring/summer and even into the fall on some drives/trips. It's a nice thing. I plan to use it more this coming spring/summer. Those aimless drives in the country I love to do on weekends are way nicer sans roof. Hard to beat nature's AC.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-29, 18:38

Why do I find it so easy to sew you driving down the road in a convertible, sunglasses on, honking at the hussies?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 18:45

I'd love a convertible - finding one to fit me, whole 'nother thang... Best I can do? When the weather is just right, I open the sunroof (it's massive in the Forester) and roll down all the windows. Kids love it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-29, 19:19

Cars I've considered:

Honda Accord
Honda Civic Hatchback
Ford Bronco
Ford Ranger
Subaru Outback
Subaru BRZ
Toyota Supra

(those last two are siblings)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-29, 19:40

That's a pretty wide range. What do you plan to use it for?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-29, 20:22

Get a Camry, it will last till you die.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2021-12-30, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The worst trend to me is making the driver information into LCD panels. Yuk. I like the analog gauges. I’m sure it’s cheaper labour wise for car makers to use screens, but they all look like crap, and will be hard to see in backlit conditions.
I have an Audi with a digital dashboard (aka "virtual cockpit"). So far, I have no issues with backlit conditions. Although, as I have the head-up display, I look on the dashboard less often (mostly to watch the map when I use the navigation). Before owning one, I was sceptical about head-up displays, but now, I'm a fan ...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-12-30, 16:02

Another big recall for Tesla, this time just over 400k.

https://www.engadget.com/tesla-model...142249417.html
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-12-30, 20:57

Quote:
I like how you snuck in the "fiancé" in there, which I don't think you've mentioned here yet (and basically just dropped in Insta last week)

Which reminded me I never said congrats.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-30, 21:56

Whoa!! BREAKING NEWS??

That's awesome!

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-12-31, 17:07

Ha yeah. Popped the question on Christmas Eve. Very excited. Thanks for the love guys!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-01, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
That's a pretty wide range. What do you plan to use it for?
GREAT QUESTION!!!

I currently drive a million year old 2003 Honda Accord.

While the vaunted Toyota Camry is a legendary for its performance, we have 2 Accords that are 19 and 20 years old.

I also have an even older Civic that was a little workhorse.

So if I decide to play it safe I'll go with Honda.

An Accord would be a short putt.

The new 2022 Civic hatchback caught my attention - it looks fun to drive and versatile, like my old one.

Ford caught my attention with the Bronco, from concept to delivery.

But it's a wild thing that I won't use and I know it will consume my wallet at the gas station.

The idea of an affordable truck sprang from considering the Bronco.

I don't need anything big, and I'm not ready for an EV or hybrid yet, so I went down the Ranger rabbit hole.

It might be that an SUV or a crossover is what I need.

The Subaru line seem to be very FUNCTIONAL - kind of an off-road stationwagon.

I have heard things about the Subaru cars that make me less interested (like those seats).

So I always feel right when I close the Subaru tab but it's only after long consideration.

The BRZ/Supra thing is just that I am fascinated by the idea of the guy driving that thing around town.
The fact that I drive like a bus driver / grandpa means that I would not allow that horse to test his limits.

I have never driven a German car and just don't feel like I could afford one, but I would't say no if I could afford one.

Perhaps the thing it will come down to for me is the interface language of the car.

Like cameras or computers, there are ways that machines work that fit the way our brains work.

it sure would be fun to go to every dealership and see what you think about the way their cars integrate with the driver.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-01, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
The Subaru line seem to be very FUNCTIONAL - kind of an off-road stationwagon.

I have heard things about the Subaru cars that make me less interested (like those seats).
And there’s that whole thing about turning you into a lesbian NPR donor.

I kid, I kid! I love Subarus - see upthread - and would be proud to own one - that sporty lime-ish colored Crosstrek? - one day (and I already look really good in flannel).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-01, 10:00

drewprops, you clearly like older vehicles with style and a rough ride. Clearly a Ford Model T is what you need. No. Likely not.

German cars are money pits for the length of time you own your vehicles, good for 3-5 years, so don’t even think about it. Mazda might be worth a look, I know they can turn into rust buckets, but they are known for being fun and zippy if that’s your thing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-01, 10:25

Quote:
Ha yeah. Popped the question on Christmas Eve. Very excited. Thanks for the love guys!
Congrats.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-01-01, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
And there’s that whole thing about turning you into a lesbian NPR donor.

I kid, I kid! I love Subarus - see upthread - and would be proud to own one - that sporty lime-ish colored Crosstrek? - one day (and I already look really good in flannel).
Those lesbians will kick your ass for saying that if you ever come to Colorado.