User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

PCT: Spring is in the air (April 15, 2010)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Spring is in the air (April 15, 2010)
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 14:31

We had a long and cold winter this year. As we just had the last snow melting this week, I'd like to see your interpretation of "Spring is in the air" in this month's Photo Challenge Thread. What do you envision when you think of spring? Is it the first flowers showing up, a girl in a short dress sitting in a café, hay fever or something totally different - and creative?

Remember the rules:
  • No heavy editing, cropping, HDR other manipulations. Straight out of camera is preferred.
  • Photos must be taken during the month in which the given challenge is active
  • Each month will be judged by the winner of the past month
  • It's not about the technically perfect shot, but the image which 'gets the message through'.

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 14:37

Wonderful! My goal this month is to submit two images. Is that allowed? (Chinney encouraged us to do that when it was his turn.)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-17, 14:43

I think it would be best if we kept it to one per person. I didn't say anything in Chinney's thread because nobody posted more than one entry. I think having more than one entry would make it hard to judge, but if GSpotter can decide on that, as he is the judge. I'd say pick your best shot for the theme and go with that, just to keep it simple, but it really is up to GSpotter.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 14:54

I'd propose the following compromise:
- You'll have to decide and mark which of your entries will count for the contest (I think the process of choosing one picture can be very interesting in itself
- You can add additional pictures for our viewing pleasure

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 15:20

One argument for allowing multiple entries would be to encourage people to post more frequently, rather than wait until the deadline in the hope of getting a better image later in the month. GSpotter's solution solves that conundrum, allowing us to post more than one shot without increasing the judge's burden. Sounds good to me!

Whether I get two photos worth sharing is another matter, of course.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-17, 15:59

Sounds like a good solution to me.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2010-03-17, 19:35

I look forward to the theme. It may challenge our friends in the southern hemisphere, or in tropical climes, but the idea, I guess, could be to convey the feeling of spring, even if spring is not actually there.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
sebatlh

2010-03-18, 11:02

Cool, I already have a shot planned. It's a bit dependent on the weather but I think it will work
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-18, 21:29

My wife took a picture of me doing the first bit of major yard work, does that count? I'm going to be getting something going for this one and hopefully won't have a camera card challenge this time around.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Noel

2010-03-18, 22:54

In the spirit of being allowed to post multiple photos and deciding later which one "counts", I decided to post this photo that I snapped earlier when I was walking across the Mississippi with only my iPhone camera available. For a few days now chunks of ice have been floating downriver due to the spring melt. It looks pretty ridiculous.

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-03-19, 08:02

Here is one I took at work the other day.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-28, 00:09

Not sure if this will be my final entry, but an entry none the less.

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-03-28, 10:32

I think this will be my entry.

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-28, 12:01

Since this thread started I had a few good days but the flowers weren't quite there yet... but then it's been in the 40s and rainy
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-28, 13:22

I know the feeling, I'm not overly happy with my photo, but the weather hasn't been good for macro photography outdoors. Its either been raining or breezy.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2010-03-28, 15:52

Hey PB PM, if you find that we are having a nice day for a change and are looking for plant / bird related stuff to shoot, definitely consider going out to the UBC Botanical Garden. The eagles are mating and everything is in bloom right now. This coming week may be the best week to shoot cherry blossoms if the weather cooperates.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-28, 17:24

Yeah, that's not a bad idea, its kind of too bad the weather forecast is calling for rain every day this week.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-28, 17:50

This is what "Spring is in the air" means to me.

Absolute. Fucking. Misery.

"CALL DOCTOR IF YOU EXPERIENCE MOOD CHANGES, SADNESS, DEPRESSION OR FEAR."

But, boy, the weather sure is nice!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-28, 17:52

Oh Brad, I feel for you. I have allergies as well, although my main reaction is to grass pollen, which isn't due to late May/June here, those months are not much fun for me. The reactions make me feel like I have a cold for two months straight.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-28, 21:54

flash flood warning through tomorrow morning, continued rain through tuesday... any tips on how to take pictures in these conditions? If spring is about being wet and cold then so be it. (keep in mind I have a P&S)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-03-28, 22:16

Spring in San Antonio means the trees are finally green again.

edit: Sorry, uploaded the wrong shot the first time. Same content/composition, this one has different light.

Last edited by Ryan : 2010-03-28 at 23:06.
Noel

2010-03-28, 22:42

The trees in Minneapolis are still bare.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-28, 23:05

My first attempt though I'm not satisfied with my result.

Click for full size.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-29, 00:06

Looks like you need a lot more depth of field, don't be afriade to stop it down a lot when shooting with a macro lens. I often shoot at F32 or more when shooting flowers to get the desired effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
flash flood warning through tomorrow morning, continued rain through tuesday... any tips on how to take pictures in these conditions? If spring is about being wet and cold then so be it. (keep in mind I have a P&S)
Keep your camera covered as much as possible, hold an umbrella if you can to keep the camera dry. Otherwise, shoot as usual.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-29, 03:52

That's what I'm after! Thanks. For some reason I couldn't pin what I was looking to do different.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-29, 04:21

This is more like it, though my sensor is nasty. After stopping down I can see all the crap on it. How do you clean your sensor? Pay someone?

Click for full size.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-03-29, 04:28

Sensor cleaning can be tricky. I've only ever had to use a blower to get dust off my sensor. If it is worse than that, you can buy kits, but I think I'd rather take it in, that way if something goes wrong the repairer is responsible.
sebatlh

2010-03-29, 13:20

I'm not sure that this is my final image. But this was the initial idea I got when thinking of spring. Actually the picture I got in my head was not a closeup, but this was the only way I could get it to work without cropping.
"Springflood":
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2010-04-01, 12:57

Okay, I think I've got the shot I want now! I love the contrast in this image!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-04-01, 15:20

That is nice. I'm working to get one but not sure which one now. Here's a cool one though. Seems a bird thought my garage light was a good home.