Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Happy New Year! [Plus Resolutions...]

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Happy New Year! [Plus Resolutions...]
Frank777
Veteran Member

2024-01-01, 06:43

Just wanted to wish everyone at 'Nova a Happy New Year 2024, and realized we didn't have a dedicated thread.

I pray your year is a Happy and Blessed one, and that you accomplish great things.
Especially since the world is kinda messed up right now, and we could all use some good news.

I was going to start this thread with more of a peace-on-Earth, let's-get-along vibe. Then I remembered it's a U.S. Presidential Election year.
So seriously, why bother?

Feel free to also post your New Year's Resolutions in this thread, so we can marvel at, copy, endorse, or mock them.

My 2024 resolution is to finally conquer that '100 pushups' thing we were discussing like 10 years ago.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-01, 09:47

Yes, happy New year to all my AN buddies. I hope everyone’s 2024 is what they want it to be. 2023, for me, was just a good bit of upheaval, heartache and missed big someone I never thought I’d have to miss.

But enough of that. No real resolutions for 2024, although I REALLY want to get back to music again, a steady, regularly gigging band. Playing bass on n cover/party band (70’s, 80’s and 90’s hits people know and love). Not interested in originals or recording or trying to “get signed” or “making it”. All that stuff is 30+ years ago. I just wanna play music for dancing, intoxicates soccer moms and make them happy on their night out with friends/co-workers.

A modest, achievable thing. I’ve done it before, I’ve just had enough time off that I truly miss it now. To that end, I’m either gonna buy or assemble a Fender precision Bass, learn a boatload of new songs and find 2-3 fellow 50-somethings looking to do the same thing. Honestly, I don’t want to spend another New Year’s Eve alone/not playing. I want to be playing a show somewhere next year, on the night of December 31, 2024.

I actually drove down to my Dad and stepmom’s last evening around 5:30 because the idea of sitting here alone just bothered me. A surprise visit and we watched Game Show Network and then switched over to HGTV to watch ridiculous, entitled and immature couples buy a house and counting all the cliches and buzzwords. I had a great time. I didn’t get home until12:40am, which is the latest I’ve been up (and out and about, driving) in YEARS. I’m usually in bed by 8:30 these days, reading, crosswording or YouTubing via my phone until I get sleepy and doze off (usually by 10pm every night), so to be out on the highway at 12:30amlast night was quite a thing.

But I got home safe and fell into bed right away. I knew better than to drink anything other than Coke or water because I didn’t want to encounter any NYE DUI checkpoints and start 2024 off sitting in a jail cell and looking at the financial/logistical upheaval and hassle of a DUI charge. Was stone-cold sober, which meant I didn’t pass a single coo or checkpoint in the 13-mile drive home. I was sleepy and my eyes were getting blurry, so I just got up on the wheel, kept it at the limit, used my signals, came to complete stops when required, etc.

Off today and slept in until 8:20 this morning, a few hours later than the 5-6 I’m usually up and about at. Cold and overcast outside here today, but I can tell it’s gonna be a good day. The first of 365, these next 12 months.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2024-01-01, 12:58

I think I’m finally in the right place to make a serious attempt at losing weight, that’s going to be my primary goal for this year.

Not to go full shill, but if anyone wants help getting on top of finances, this app has been amazing for me. It took me from living paycheck to paycheck with as little as $150 in my account at payday to getting rid of credit card debt, buying a car, and buying a house.

It’s called YNAB or You Need A Budget.

The cost seems high but it pays for itself very quickly.

Here’s a link for anyone interested, I get a few $ off my next renewal if you buy a subscription

https://ynab.com/referral/?ref=fjdFeWfmlh6dlHYr
Ryan
Veteran Member

2024-01-01, 13:58

I love YNAB, been a devoted user for years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-01, 23:14

Happy New Year y’all!

I wanted to at least tell all of you while it was still the first. I’ll chat more tomorrow.
¡Damned!

2024-01-02, 10:34

I had a moment around 6 months ago that made me get on the losing weight train, so that's my main goal this year – to slim back down to a good, manageable weight. I haven't been doing any plans or weird diets or anything, just cutting back and eating less. Ordering a cappuccino instead of a mocha, a lager instead of a stout, thin crust pizza instead of my beloved Detroit style, etc. That sort of thing. I'm down a couple of belt holes verging on a third and can see a difference in my face and the way my clothes fit, so if I can keep that going I'll be happy. Maybe some additional lifestyle changes if I can shake off a bit more of this haze, but for now shedding some of this fat is top of the list.

Happy New Year everyone!

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-01-02, 11:52

Isn't it amazing how "easy" such a thing really is, just by a few simple lifestyle changes? Not eating complete junk/crap 24/7 and maybe getting off your dead ass and shutting off the video games and Netflix for 30-45 minutes?

The "fitness and weight-loss" industry is the biggest, most maddening racket I've ever seen, all the trendy, incomprehensible "tricks" and tactics that suck in so many gullible, desperate people. "Meal plans", "points" and all that horseshit somehow takes better with the public than "eat right, get some exercise". Everyone wants their solution in a magic pill, or some bullcrap "Tummy Zapper 3000!!!" infomercial gadget.

No, just cut back on the fast food and Little Debbies and walk around the neighborhood 3-4 times a week. It's not instant or overnight, but it's real and builds on itself, once you start to notice the changes. Then you don't want the junk food and you look forward to the evening (or morning) walks. And best of all? Neither of those cost a dime, doesn't require "joining" anything, downloading some stupid-ass app, or dropping hundreds (or more) on stationary bikes with coked-up coaches screaming at you, letting you know "you got this!".

Years ago, I did a seasonal/Christmas job at the local Amazon facility, going out on the floor to pack crates, fulfilling orders (pickers, the position was called). From the time I arrived on my shift, until I clocked out eight hours later, I WALKED MY ASS OFF, nonstop. That's what the job was, that's the one I requested. I two months, I lost 11 pounds and 3-4 belt notches. I had to borrow my neighbor's awl/leather punch and put two new brand new holes in my belt so it would do its job.

Anytime I'm feeling pudgy or "less than", I lay off the Dr. Pepper, snacks and walk a few laps around the big, hilly subdivision across the road from where I live. Within two weeks, I've dropped 5-6 pounds, my face looks a little different, my shirts and pants all fit differently, etc.

It's not rocket science and it's not even difficult. But I does require some motivation/willpower and movement and less-than-pleasant choices (who wants to say no to a Hostess Ho-Ho? or some apple pie? But we, as a culture, just aren't wired that way. We expect/demand the effortless, one-click, magic pill "solution", which simply doesn't exist. But an entire industry is built on promoting that lie, and it angers me. Everyone I know buys into it (literally), and I'm like "wanna go for a walk at 6pm?" and get turned down in favor of the pill and binging some bullcrap show.

Glad you're doing it the right way, 709. That's what it takes. Better, smarter behavior and a bit of physical exertion. It's no more complicated than that, because I've seen, first-hand, the results of such. If I want to lose 5 pounds by next weekend, I know exactly what to do. Not doing so is 100% on me. Funny how all the pills and gimmicks come with such horrific side effects (shitting yourself, blood pressure weirdness, dizziness, etc.). But that's what people will subject themselves to, vs. a little restraint/moderation and getting their ass off the couch a few times a week.