User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

external drive issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
external drive issues
kimchicowboy

2005-03-06, 13:24

hi. i just bought a 12" 1.33 GHz pbook. i have my dell's HDD in a USB2.0 enclosure with a lot of my research data on there that i want to transfer over. i connected, the pbook mounted the drive, i found the files, but as i was copying the files over, it froze. the drive would spin, stop, spin, stop. i never had that problem when i connected it to a PC. i wasn't able to restart or shut down; i had to hold down the power button for it to shut off.

second, i have a compact flash card (taken photos with a canon s200) hooked up to a USB2.0 card reader. once again, the pbook mounts the drive, but preview says the files are corrupt. but when i put the CF card back into the digicam, it works fine.

please help this MAC newbie. thanks!
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-03-06, 13:31

have you tried using the PC slot on the computer for the CFC?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-06, 13:33

Most likely, the USB bus (unlike the FireWire bus) does not supply enough power to the enclosure to keep the hard drive spinning. I'd hook up the external power supply for the enclosure.

As far as the camera, try hooking it up to your USB ports (instead of using the CF reader) and see what happens.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-06, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuf
have you tried using the PC slot on the computer for the CFC?
no PC slot in the 12"
kimchicowboy

2005-03-06, 19:41

thanks for the suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Most likely, the USB bus (unlike the FireWire bus) does not supply enough power to the enclosure to keep the hard drive spinning. I'd hook up the external power supply for the enclosure.

As far as the camera, try hooking it up to your USB ports (instead of using the CF reader) and see what happens.
i used the USB bus on a PC laptop without a problem. i have my pbook plugged to the wall and only have my USB mouse plugged in and it's still not spinning.

as for the camera, i don't have my USB connection because i currently live overseas and didn't want to bring the cables with me.

any further suggestions?