Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Quake 4 demo - what a disappointment

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quake 4 demo - what a disappointment
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-06, 10:03

I just finished downloading the demo this morning and took it for a spin on my MBP (2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB VRAM, 7200 rpm HD) but sadly I can't say I'm that impressed. The game looks very nice; graphics are great and at the end of the demo the gameplay also begun to impress me, but unfortunately the technical side of it is pretty lame.

The system settings only work properly with 4:3 aspect ratio, and there is no support for the MBP's native resolution of 900*1440 or anything in the same aspect ratio. And to make matters worse, OS X can't handle if you close the lid and put the MBP on sleep while the game is running. Surely it will prompt you for your password when you open the lid, but while the mouse responds, OS X doesn't register any inputs and put's the MBP back to sleep after a while. At the same time the sleep-mode also seems to provoke a serious case of poor responsiveness from the game (or OS X), which is annoying when Quake 4 already has demonstrated it's ability to run quite smoothly on my MBP @ 1024*762 and high quality graphics.

WTF has Aspyr sent out such a crappy demo?! Do they really expect anyone to buy a game that in such a painfully obvious manner doesn't work properly?

Guess I'm little frustrated about wasting my time on downloading 536 MB demo that doesn't work properly.

Last edited by Mugge : 2006-08-06 at 10:08.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-08-06, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
And to make matters worse, OS X can't handle if you close the lid and put the MBP on sleep while the game is running. Surely it will prompt you for your password when you open the lid, but while the mouse responds, OS X doesn't register any inputs and put's the MBP back to sleep after a while. At the same time the sleep-mode also seems to provoke a serious case of poor responsiveness from the game (or OS X), which is annoying when Quake 4 already has demonstrated it's ability to run quite smoothly on my MBP @ 1024*762 and high quality graphics.
That's a problem with OS X and full-screen games in general. I've had it happen to me before with Starcraft and accidentally triggering my screensaver. It's possible to get out of if you -tab a few times.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-08-06, 12:17

it runs like crap on my macbook but i guess thats to be expected..
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-08-06, 12:26

Quake 4 is an utter disgrace to the series. Did you guys know that it has framerate issues on the Xbox 360? Yeah.

If the base code is crap, then it will be crap when it's ported over. At best it will be just as bad as on the original platform, but there are probably extra issues introduced from the porting job as well.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-06, 12:40

Wow, Framerate issues on a 360? Triple core 3.2GHZ PowerPC? Does it only use one core? Even then 3.2GHZ...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-06, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Wow, Framerate issues on a 360?
Really?

Quake is quite a good game overall.. But I think the whole genre is getting pretty lame now.
I have recently had a Doom 3, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 month or so, and have actually left most of them unfinished.. I just got tired of them..

Nothing has really rekindled my Halo generated enthusiasm for these games.

I recently saw the trailer 'Emergence Day' for Gears of War on the 360..

Love the eye-candy, and the hard edge to it.. But I wonder if that will live up to the hype, or be another Halo wannabe.

Back on topic.. Sorry.

I have been very dissapointed with most of Aspyr's work recently.. Not least Civ IV, which is horribly unfinished in terms of the bug testing.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-08-06, 13:00

It's just a badly written game. Remember that most games run worse on the Mac OS than in Windows, even if you're using exactly the same computer. This is a software issue, not a hardware one.

I heard from one person that the original Xbox version of Doom 3 (same engine as Quake 4, but an earlier game and not quite as visually complex) runs better in backwards compatibility mode on his Xbox 360 than Quake 4 (a native X360 game).
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-06, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Really?

Quake is quite a good game overall.. But I think the whole genre is getting pretty lame now.
I have recently had a Doom 3, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2 month or so, and have actually left most of them unfinished.. I just got tired of them..

(...)
Yeah. It's not really enough for a game just to provide a good shooting experience anymore, everybody can do that. One of the things I value a lot in any game, is it's ability to kickstart my own imagination, just like a good book. Farcry did a lot in that respect, I really felt like I was Jack on those islands and not just observing a guy on the screen. It kinda makes you more afraid to die and more involved in the game.

But the problem with Quake 4 is that I never even get a chance to imagine anything because the %&"#!!§ aspect ratio keeps me reminded that this is just a piece of buggy software.
rasmits
rams it

2006-08-06, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I have been very dissapointed with most of Aspyr's work recently.. Not least Civ IV, which is horribly unfinished in terms of the bug testing.
It's been my experience too that Aspyr ports are crap, which is sad.
usurp

2006-08-07, 01:44

Quake 3 is the coolest. I should check and see if they have a universal binary update for it although i doubt it..
irnchriz

2006-08-07, 04:25

Heres a link to the Quake 3 universal binary
http://www.sqonk.com.au/quake3.html
usurp

2006-08-07, 06:56

heh there is a universal binary version, thats fucking cool!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-07, 07:00

Thank goodness for open source, huh?

I'm glad you found that, irnchriz. I'll have to save a copy for whenever I get an Intel Mac in the future.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.