Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Tiger: buy now or wait?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger: buy now or wait?
Cecilia76

2005-04-14, 09:52

Hallo,

I bought a new PB last 15th March but I don't have any particular discount on Tiger
Do you think it worths to buy Tiger just now or should I wait 2/3 months to have a "checked" system.
Is fairly reliable Tiger? Who knows...
Panther is rock solid and I do like it very much, but I am very curious to test the new features like dashboard, spotlight and automator!!
So, buy now or wait?

Cec.
SpecMode
Wait what

2005-04-14, 11:44

Well, really it depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take with your system. Tiger is, in all likelihood, going to work just fine out-of-box (i.e., no major application conflicts or problems that would result in a dead 'Book). However, if you have a lot of critical, work-related information/applications on your system that would cause an undue amount of pain if they were unable to be used normally, then I would recommend waiting for a while (a few weeks to a couple months) for major issues to get smoothed out before upgrading.

Personally, I'm gonna install Tiger the day I get it...but I intend to make a complete backup of my Powerbook's HDD first, just in case.

[EDIT] Alternatively, and someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong, if you have an iPod (or possibly another external FireWire hard drive), you could install a copy of Tiger on there for testing before upgrading the Powerbook itself. [/EDIT]

Last edited by SpecMode : 2005-04-14 at 11:48. Reason: Added an alternative suggestion...
Cecilia76

2005-04-14, 16:17

Thanks SpecMode!

No more opinions on the matter? C.