Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Fire at my apartment complex

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fire at my apartment complex
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-04-29, 16:59

Came home after work today around 4 to find a bunch of fire trucks parked along the street where my apartment building is. It didn't take to find out where the fire was when I pulled into a parking spot.

'Fortunately' it was pretty much over when I got there. And from what I was told, it started in the apartment above mine. The guy was a pack rat and had stuff piled pretty high so there was alot to fuel the fire.

Luck was with me and nothing of mine was burned, but there was alot of water. The worst of the actual fire damage was above me. After a little while I was able to get some stuff out of the apartment like clothes, an extra pair of shoes, my iPod and most importantly, my bear 'Steven'(can't leave him behind, I've had him since I was a kid).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-29, 17:11

Awesome. Think of the Insurance.

No but seriously, glad you're ok and good luck with getting your stuff sorted.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-29, 17:15

Water in your apartment?

What about your Macs then?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-29, 17:16

Yikes!

That's the thing I hate most about apartments (and why I've avoided them the past few years, opting, instead for a standalone little house or backyard "Fonz apartment" with no attached neighbors.

People are such flaming dumbasses these days, I don't trust my life and property to idiots smoking in bed, passing out drunk and leaving their stove on, deep frying turkeys or grilling on their balcony and not being careful about it, being pack rats like your neighbor and putting everyone at risk from such a fire hazard, etc.

Glad your stuff wasn't too damaged. Yeah, grab that bear!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-04-29, 17:26

There was a fire in my building just over a week ago, and it kind of freaked me out, because I didn't grab my MBP (at first we thought it was a false alarm so I didn't even think to grab it) , but I did have my iPod Nano in my pocket.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-04-29, 18:53

Yeah, glad you're okay, Foj!

About the bear... awwwww.

*hug*

Well, this is something to think about:

If you could only carry *one armload* of stuff out of your house to escape a fire, WHAT would you carry?

I guess I'd carry my mahogany jewelbox (or, instead, maybe a bag containing my most valuable jewelry), my laptop, and an envelope containing the deed to the house, my passport, and car title.

But that's just off the top of my head. I'd need to give this some thought.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-29, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
If you could only carry *one armload* of stuff out of your house to escape a fire, WHAT would you carry?
Too hard. I'd not try and save my mammoth book or CD collection - if I couldn't have it all I wouldn't take any of it. I'd take my laptop, a guitar, and two of my more expensive suits.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-29, 19:36

I don't have any suits, but I'm with spikeh on the other two: my PowerBook (my entire life is on the damn thing at this point!) and my guitar (the acoustic Gibson, not the electric...the J-45 is my baby and I've had it for 10 years). Oh, and a small photo album. Figure I can strap the guitar across my back, PowerBook in one hand, photo album in the other and make a dash for it!

I have no sentimental attachments to the rest of it (clothes, TV, books and magazines, furniture, electronics, household knick-knacks, etc.). They can all be replaced easily enough in 2-3 trips to Target, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy and IKEA. I'm usually looking for an excuse to go to those places anyway...having to replace all my crap probably qualifies as a good one.

Foj
Veteran Member

2007-04-29, 19:39

Quote:
Yeah, glad you're okay, Foj!

About the bear... awwwww.

*hug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Glad your stuff wasn't too damaged. Yeah, grab that bear!

Thanks guys. Made another trip to the the apartment to get more stuff. Got pretty much the rest of my clothes. I'm doing some marathon laundry right now at my parents house, where I'll be staying until I can find another place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
What about your Macs then?

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't have any Macs(right now). All of my post so far have come from my parents computer. Alot of times I'll swing by and use the computer after work when I get out from an early shift or when I'm doing laundry on a day off.

I am trying to save up for a decent laptop though.

¡Damned!

2007-04-29, 19:44

Quote:
Britta and Gato. Everything else is replaceable.

Obviously, some sentimental items would be hard to lose, but the smaller things should be stored in a fire safe anyways.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-29, 19:45

Did you have renters insurance? It really comes in handy for times like this. How much damage was actually done to your property? I'm assuming there wasn't much smoke damage since the fire was above you, but water damage can (generally) be laundered out of clothing.

Glad you're ok though.

Don't tell anyone, but I still have my blanky from when I was a kid.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-04-29, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Did you have renters insurance? It really comes in handy for times like this. How much damage was actually done to your property? I'm assuming there wasn't much smoke damage since the fire was above you, but water damage can (generally) be laundered out of clothing.
Unfortunately no renters insurance. About the only things that I'll have to replace are some books that got soaked. I have some game systems/electronics that were above the water but the power chords got wet. I may or may not have to replace them, but it's ok if I do because the games and save cards made it out undamaged.

So far my clothes have come out of the laundry pretty good.

Quote:
Your secret is safe with me.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-29, 20:58

Quote:
Good question, never really thought about it.

Id grab my Macbook, as many of my guitars as I could carry (starting with my Gibson), my cell phone, wallet, and car keys. That really all I can think about off hand.

Makes me feel so worthless because Im thinking about what kind of material things I can grab in a fire instead of just worrying to get out safely, haha.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-04-29, 21:26

this is why everyone should have renters insurance.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-04-29, 21:50

You dodged a bullet, congratulations!
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-05-04, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
You dodged a bullet, congratulations!
Yeah, but it was still a hell of a shot. Here are some pictures in case anybody wants to see what happened.

The top windows are where it started. My apartment is below.

The main entrance.

Where the fire started. It's just amazing to me seeing how much of a pack rat the guy really was. This picture was taken after stuff had been taken out.

And finally......my bear.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-05-04, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Britta and Gato. Everything else is replaceable.
Animals each on a separate leash, with your hands through the leash-handle loop, keeps your hands free to carry stuff. Yes? You 'can' train your cat to walk on a leash; but, of course, you need to do that ahead of time, and practice walking down the sidewalk.

Quote:
Obviously, some sentimental items would be hard to lose, but the smaller things should be stored in a fire safe anyways.
Do you 'have' a fire safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Awwww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Good question, never really thought about it.

Id grab my Macbook, as many of my guitars as I could carry (starting with my Gibson), my cell phone, wallet, and car keys. That really all I can think about off hand.

Makes me feel so worthless because Im thinking about what kind of material things I can grab in a fire instead of just worrying to get out safely, haha.
Whoa! You reminded me that I forgot about my purse, with my credit cards and driver's license. Hard to believe I forgot about 'that'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
Where the fire started. It's just amazing to me seeing how much of a pack rat the guy really was. This picture was taken after stuff had been taken out.
OH. MY. GOD.
Quote:
And finally......my bear.

Cool!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-04, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
And I thought my wife and I were pack-rats. We don't come anywhere near this mess. I'm really glad everything worked out for you.

If I had to get out of a building on fire I wouldn't know what to do. Having been a fireman for years I would work on the fire I think while shooing my family to safety. Things are just that and not worth risking my life over though. I would like to have my wallet and key, but I can get a locksmith and order a replacement drivers license online. From there I can get the rest of my documents. I also keep most of my important papers in a safe deposit box.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.