AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Commercials you love or hate

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Commercials you love or hate
Page 18 of 21 First Previous 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-08-23, 10:07

The only good thing in that particular one (set at a diner/cafe) is the brunette Parker Posey-ish cutie he's talking to.

http://youtu.be/f3Vcm00n1oU
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-06, 19:55

The new Geico Ickey Shuffle commercial is awesome.

http://youtu.be/QFrsR9NByc4

So funny.
zippy
Veteran Member

2014-09-11, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That little bastard from the Amazon Fire phone commercials needs a smack. Ugh...can't stand these commercials, and how he comes across. It's not "cute", funny and it pretty much guarantees I'll never buy one of these phones.

Totally agree.

Now this, this is a 'cute kid' commercial done well:
Subaru Legacy

I love this one!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-12-30, 19:23

Duluth Trading Company has been showing the commercial of the moose sticking out his *very* long tongue and tickling the armpit of a guy. Then, when the guy has a new Duluth shirt with freedom-giving armpit gussets, he's empowered, grabs the moose's tongue and snaps it back in the moose's face.

I get a kick and a laugh out of this ad every time I see it. I'd like to meet the person who created it. He/she must have a great sense of humor and would be fun to be around, sharing a pitcher of beer, don'tcha think?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2016-01-22, 18:38

I love the Land Rover ad of a lady with a team of three Husky sled dogs that can't cross an icy cold river. A guy drives up in his SUV, opens up the back to load the dogs, and then we see the faces of those gorgeous animals looking out the front window as the vehicle makes its way across the river. They are so beautifully and calmly observant as they sit in the back two rows of the Rover. I love their faces, lined up all together in their beauty and spectacular fluffiness. Anyone else love these magnificent dogs as much as I do?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-05-09, 19:17

Every time one of those Realtor.com commercials with Elizabeth Banks comes on, I stop whatever I'm doing and watch, totally transfixed.

No idea why...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-29, 13:55

Forgive the nearly-four-year bump, but a) the below needs pointing out/saying, and b) commercials are timeless and always being released, so it's not as though I'm bumping a thread whose topic was all wrapped up in 2016. No sense starting a new thread when this perfectly good one already exists.

Now, on to the commercial...

I see this commercial, or one of its 240 variants, a couple of times a day (usually during Jeopardy at 7:30, or while watching HGTV or a movie on WE or Sundance channel after 8pm):

Busy Philipps(?) and her Olay face cream stuff.

EDIT: I've removed my analysis/opinion (just too easy; no fun/challenge shooting fish in a barrel)...curious to hear that of others.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-01-29 at 14:13.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-29, 14:09

Commercials … what are those?

Oh, that's right. Those are the time-sucking things some people are forced to watch when they do that "TV" thing. Trying to recall the last time I saw one …

Oh, wait. That's right. I was watching The Final Countdown on some random video site and there was a recurring commercial for Ram trucks, but I just opened another browser window and poked around until that annoying thing was done, and then I went back to the movie.

Otherwise, where's the beef?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-29, 14:14

I'm old school. I still watch what little TV I do on the day/time it comes on, as God intended. You know, like a normal person. Jeopardy M-F, 7:30pm The Real VD Cases of Bel Air, Bravo channel, Wednesday at 10pm and so forth.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-29, 14:31

I started hating commercials the moment they began to interrupt my Trek fixes in the 70's.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-01-29, 16:11

Thought this was another spam bump, which would definitely have been a commercial I love to hate!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-29, 17:05

Quote:
EDIT: I've removed my analysis/opinion (just too easy; no fun/challenge shooting fish in a barrel)...curious to hear that of others.
Well, I read your analysis/opinion and then I just watched your link out of sheer morbid curiosity.

That wasn't a terribly attractive commercial. Very amateurish.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-29, 17:31

It's certainly annoying/weird. But those things aren't even automatically a negative at this point, huh?

There are quite a few cringe-inducing commercials currently in circulation.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-29, 18:46

I'm cringed by almost all of them. Since 2007-ish and my first Apple TV I've grown increasingly less dependent on over-the-air TV and the accompanying commercials. I use ad-blockers on all my Macs and press the "Skip" button on Youtube videos whenever an ad tries to lather me down. When there is no skip option, I open a new tab while tapping the mute button and just wait for a few moments until the ad is done.

Now, whenever I am at someone's house who watches TV and I'm forced to endure commercials, they seem glaring and intrusive. Seriously, I have almost no tolerance for them any longer and am happy to pay the al a cart price for shows in order to avoid anything coming from that industry.

I hate commercials. Even SB commercials (I don't watch football anymore, either, so I don't even see those).

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-01-30, 00:53

Nothing worse than a beauty cream ad, so pretentious.

I'm also in the camp of not putting up with ads, the only thing I watch on over the air TV now is sporting events. Those are almost the worst, because not only do you have to watch ads, but everything at the event is plastered with brand names.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-01-30, 10:12

BRAND POWER: We don't even respect you enough to pay for a proper advert.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-01-30, 11:44

I have to admit that lately I've been skipping ads too. I didn't even watch the ball drop at New Years live. We let my kids pull up Fortnite and watched it drop in game instead because the commercials are so over the top and pushing stuff I just have no desire to see.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-09, 12:18

Okay, I'm gonna play this game. I saw this on YouTube and it made my morning.

Might be one of the best commercials ever filmed.

Tugging on my heartstrings by using some awesome movie memories. Still one of my favorite movies, and the way Jeep did this is just brilliant.

I LOVED it!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-09, 18:20

I have to say that it is my favorite for now too. I saw it thanks to a blog mentioning the new ad. That night my wife and I watched the movie too. Really a great ad done with the same actors as the movie. Pretty cool really.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-12, 15:38

I like one that I'm seeing lately in the evenings, for Amazon grocery delivery.

It uses that "bullet time"(?) technique (is that the right name...where a camera moves around a static, frozen shot in 3D space?) and an old Chuck Berry song.

Here it is, on YouTube.

It makes no sense at all, this kind of song with such a filming style, but I can't look away. And that little girl busted at the end makes me smile. She stole the cake!

And for those who enjoy the song and want to hear it all, here you go!. Great Chuck wordsmithing, as always. The man always painted such a neat picture.

Two things:

1) I'd never heard this Chuck Berry song before. I assume most of you haven't either, except I'm actually a huge fan of the man. But I've always focused more on the earlier, 1950's output (as further evidence of that claim, I'd never heard "You Never Can Tell" until I saw Pulp Fiction in 1994, when it played in the twist contest featuring Travolta and Thurman's characters). I should probably go seek out more 1960's Chuck Berry releases. I'm obviously missing out on some cool stuff.

2) I take it that shooting style is based on multiple mounted cameras, all timed/triggered to go off in sequential order to capture a "frozen moment" but in moving space? How close are these things together to achieve that, because it looks pretty seamless. Or is the frozen, suspended liquid all CGI at this point?

I remember, probably a good 20 years ago, there was a Gap khakis commercial that showed people dancing to Louis Prima's "Jump Jive 'n' Wail", and it employed the same sort of technique in a couple of scenes.

Forgive the Idaho Russett quality, it's all I could find. PS - Damn, 90's women were really sexy/cute, huh?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-12, 16:58

Hey, watch the Idaho jokes, there, pal!

There are very sexy/cute women in all decades. I think it's the fashion that has changed. I like hip-wrapping pants, not hip-hugging pants which I think are terribly unflattering. Add in blue hair, tattoos, and pierced everything and the feminine fashion/form is growing less attractive *to me* by the day.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-02-12, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Add in blue hair, tattoos, and pierced everything and the feminine fashion/form is growing less attractive *to me* by the day.
More ladies for me, then!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-12, 19:17

They're all yours, dude!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-24, 15:30

I assume everyone has noticed the trend/trope of popular songs being redone in slowed-down, whispery, piano/voice, minor key versions and popping up in movie trailers and TV commercials? I'd blame it on that green-haired chick that's all the rage currently, but I think this predates her Flavor o' the Moment status a good bit.

"So, Billie, who are your musical influences?"

"Um, like, McCormick seasoning mix and tampon commercials..."

I think it may be tapering because I don't see it nearly as much as I did throughout 2017-2019, but I still see them quite a bit (twice this morning, in fact). You can tell from that first 1-2 tinkling piano notes what's coming...

"Here I ammmmm...rock you...like...a...hurricannne..."

Tortured, hyper-earnestness always amuses/annoys me, so when I see these things I simultaneously chuckle and search for something to lob at the TV.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-27, 12:09

This one aired on cable quite a bit throughout January, and I saw it again the other day...

Chewy.com new puppy commercial...this family is beyond useless.

They go and buy a cute puppy with apparently zero front-end research or planning. They don't know what to feed it, and then act a little surprised that it's pissing on the floor. And if you get into the details, they've already got the dog and are just now ordering some food for it? Swinging by Safeway on the way home to grab a bag of Puppy Chow is out of the question? Unless it's one of those same-day Amazon drone things dropping it on your porch in about 90 minutes, what's the poor dog going to eat until they figure it out? Baloney sandwiches and Skittles, I guess.

Imagine the rest of that phone call...

"Do dogs have a soul? Am I supposed to let him shit in the bathtub? Will he play well with a rattlesnake because we have lots in our backyard? Does he need water every day, or is just one a month fine? When we take him on a trip, does he ride in the car or do we strap him to the roof? Or are we supposed to drive real slow and let him run alongside us on his leash? We obviously don't know shit about anything! LOL!"

After hanging up...

"Owning a puppy is hard work, kids, and we're in no way qualified to do so...yay! Now throw him in the closet and go clean up for dinner. His food will be here in 2-3 days."

The kicker is the ending, where the dad can't seem to manage to screw together a four-sided cage (probably his first time holding a screwdriver or Allen wrench; he probably calls an electrician to change lightbulbs). Is that Chewy rep really going to sit on the phone for 75-minutes while this guy navigates those waters? Isn't enough salary in the world...

I hope this puppy escapes out a window, runs down the street and winds up with a more competent, prepared family than this goofy bunch. He's entirely too cute to be saddled with these clue-starved dorks for 10+ years.

"Mommy, can puppies fly? Because I just threw Ruffles off the roof...".
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-27, 12:16

Jail in a jail dog owners.

"Let's get a giant, noisy dog for our 2 bedroom apartment, dear. The neighbors will love us, and who needs that security deposit more than the landlord?"

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-27, 12:22

Been there, done that (not owned the dog, but have lived in an apartment complex with what I can only assume was some St. Bernard/Great Dane/Stegosaurus hybrid living upstairs who loved to bark/howl around 4am. Not happy times. But I was young, naive (and nice) then, so I just sucked it up.

I've noticed, in this era of social media, some people seem to acquire pets for the pics/likes. Unfortunately I know two people who seem to be this way...never expressed any interest in owning a dog or cat, and then, out of the blue, they now do and they seem to primarily serve as Facebook "like"/comment fodder.

"I'm already at my 56-selfies-a-day limit, I need something else to upload and fish for compliments/attention with...I know, a PUPPY!"

Don't have the proper space for it, too busy with a dozen other things to be there on any solid, consistent basis, etc. It's just a selfish prop/accessory, as far as I can tell. I've submarined friendships over stuff like this. At 51, I just can't willingly associate with immature, "look at me!" morons anymore.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-27, 12:32

Quote:
At 51, I just can't willingly associate with immature, "look at me!" morons anymore.
Man, If I had written that, I literally would not have had to change a *single* word!

I own a 1/2 acre with a large dog run. There used to be a [small] dog in it, but no more. I am happily and reasonably committed to a zero-dog-ownership policy for the remainder of my days on this planet.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2020-03-10, 21:25

I loathe commercials too. To avoid them, I generally have two programs going at the same time. One that I'm mostly watching, and one alternative that I watch during commercials. Even then, I still end up seeing plenty of commercials.

I can't believe how much Liberty Mutual must spend on ads. I did laugh the first time I saw the female emu in the crowd with her blonde hair, dangling earrings, sunglasses and blouse with a bow that senior ladies used to wear.

Liberty Mutual and Geico both spend stunning amounts. Must be as a result of a certain individual's tax cuts for corporations. I wonder if anyone on this board has switched to either company after their massive amounts of advertising.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-10, 23:58

Holy crap, Windswept is still alive!

So good to "see" you!