Anyone play Guild Wars?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Anyone play Guild Wars?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-15, 15:25

Long shot, I know, but what the heck...

I've been interested in playing an MMORPG for a while, but I won't pay subscription fees, so I bought Guild Wars yesterday (plays PERFECTLY at full rez, high settings on my iMac). I've been running around leveling up but I've come to the point where I need some allies/friends. The one thing I don't like about MMOs is that you have to play with random people if you don't know anyone else playing, so.... Anyone play here? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff but let me know if you're a player. My account name is sbanawan at gmail dot com. PM or email me if you want to play.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-08-15, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I've been interested in playing an MMORPG for a while...

Well sir, I think I found the problem.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-15, 16:28

I've thought about getting into guild wars, I never did like the idea of a monthly subscription. Might take a look at it once winter rolls around.
almost2mac

2006-08-16, 16:42

Quote:
Long shot, I know, but what the heck...

I've been interested in playing an MMORPG for a while, but I won't pay subscription fees, so I bought Guild Wars yesterday (plays PERFECTLY at full rez, high settings on my iMac). I've been running around leveling up but I've come to the point where I need some allies/friends. The one thing I don't like about MMOs is that you have to play with random people if you don't know anyone else playing, so.... Anyone play here? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this stuff but let me know if you're a player. My account name is sbanawan at gmail dot com. PM or email me if you want to play.
Guild Wars is a fun game. This game is more team-centric than most as designed since you only are allowed eight powers from your skillset at a time, and the fine-tuning of each person's role in a group is the meat of the game. However, the storyline can be played alone...most of the time I have spent in that game has been by myself. Once you get past the intital area (after "the searing") there is a group of npc minions you can add to your group if you don't feel like dealing with the drama or time schedule of RL companions. Don't know if it's feasable to get through the entire game with them, but you shouldn't have to group right off the bat until you're more comfortable.

There's an initial quest to get a resurrect rune that people always want to party for (that's the whole quest...visit the quest giver in a group.)
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-08-16, 17:10

I think I may be the only person in the world who hates the idea of science fiction / fantasy MMORPGs. I can't imagine anything more banal than running around looking for the Skullet of Mullet or whatever. These immense items that grant you UNIMAGINABLE powers, which players inevitably turn over to the Guild at the end of the quest, or which they can't use for their own evil means (by players I mean me).

I was kinda interested in the idea of City of Heroes but then it turned out to be shit. Oh, and the Matrix online RPG looked kinda cool until that too turned out to be shit. And Star Wars Galaxies looked fun until that emerged as shit. And The Sims online looked interesting at the least, before it turned out to be shiiiiit.

Second Life intrigued me for a while but there was too much flying about creating content, and not enough hot chicks answering my repeated "A/S/L?????"s into the ether.

I'm done hijacking threads. Goodnight.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-08-16, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I've thought about getting into guild wars, I never did like the idea of a monthly subscription. Might take a look at it once winter rolls around.
Me either. I'll never touch subscription games. They might be great, but that's just not my cup o' tea.

Besides, I'm completely engrossed in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion right now. I actually haven't been online except to check my e-mail and do a little banking since I got it on Sunday.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-08-16, 22:31

Of course, by winter I'd probably own a Wii and might be playing something else online.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-08-16, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
Me either. I'll never touch subscription games. They might be great, but that's just not my cup o' tea.

Besides, I'm completely engrossed in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion right now. I actually haven't been online except to check my e-mail and do a little banking since I got it on Sunday.
Oblivion is great but I can't seem to get over the frame rate problems. I don't know what to do to tweak it properly. I'm ok with 15 fps while just exploring but when that's all you get in the middle of a battle... it frustrates me. What are you running it on and what are your settings?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-08-17, 12:45

Quote:
Oblivion is great but I can't seem to get over the frame rate problems. I don't know what to do to tweak it properly. I'm ok with 15 fps while just exploring but when that's all you get in the middle of a battle... it frustrates me. What are you running it on and what are your settings?
I play it on my XBox 360. My old gaming PC rig would choke badly if I tried to run Oblivion on it, and I didn't want to have to haul that old bastard PC to school this year. The 360 version does have framerate issues at times as well, but I haven't had any problems during battles--just when I run while exploring. Then again, I'm only 17 hours into the game, so maybe it's because I'm not too far into the game and I haven't seen a really crazy battle yet.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-09-07, 22:09

I got factions the other day so I could play with my brother in law. This game is great. We just got through our first big quest. Now that I've dropped $80 on this game (technically these games since factions is a stand alone game), I've got to say that I'm glad I did. They're very fun and I could see it lasting a long time in replay value. It's a good thing too, since you can't resell it without breaking your EULA. But no CD is needed to play, which is very cool. They did a good job with these games.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-10-28, 21:09

Still playing. Capella is on too. Anyone else up for it?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-10-28, 21:25

Everyone should seriously consider joining. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this game. No monthly fee, good system requirements, and lots of flexibility.

-10 character professions/classes across 3 games, meaning anyone can find a character that fits their playstyle
-You don't have to play each class acording to "standard" MMO rules- an elementalist can be a tank as well as a nuker, for example
-STORYLINE. All 3 games have excellent storylines that are fairly intricate and emotionally involving. For example, a major event in the Prophecies (original GW) storyline made me cry. Really hard. I got real invested into it, and it's a joy playing. Things never go formulaically, either; there are always twists and turns

I could babble on at length. I'd rather that people come in and join me and torifile and experience it for themselves, though; I'm convinced you won't regret it.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder